Blood and Belonging: A Ray Robertson Mystery…

Blood and Belonging: A Ray Robertson Mystery (Rapid Reads)

by Vicki Delany

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Blood and Belonging is a mystery novel in the Rapid Reads series of books. The focus on human trafficking and slavery was a much stronger message than I expected for such a short book. It is very concisely written and provides an interesting take on complex international problems with no easy solutions. I enjoyed reading it and will look for more books in this series.

Summary: Highly recommended to mystery novel lovers.

Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book. It is a quick read but has a good story line and plot. I would like to read more in this series. ( )
  tellen81 | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was given to me courtesy of the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program in return for an honest review.

This is a mystery about a timely topic - human smuggling and the problems of the local people who work behind the scenes at resorts in a Caribbean paradise.

Blood and Belonging, published by Orca Book Publishers, is a "Rapid Reads" book, my first. The story is short with little descriptive filling, yet it touched all the bases as a good story should. It was a pleasant way to spend an evening. ( )
  nhlsecord | Apr 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a Rapid Reads novel with the entire characteristic that makes it a fast, easy and enjoyable read.

RCMP sergeant Ray Robertson is on leave from his job in Haiti and is vacationing with his wife in the Turks and Caicos Islands when one morning jogging on the beach he discovers a body on the surf, the dead man he recognizes as a Haitian police recruit. Once a Cop, always a cop. He needs to finds out what happened……

Of course a novel that is barely over 100 pages sees a case that is easily solved or has a fast wrap up but as in the previous books getting there is what makes the mystery captivating. As Ray follows the leads he finds himself into the world of human trafficking: Haitian looking for a better live exploited by shady people. A very timely subject indeed. Of course the mystery unravels and becomes complicated…….

I like this series and appreciate Vicki Delany’s concise with no frills or long sentences style. She has a way to make a captivating plot within the limited pages she has to do it in. The story is simple yet not boring and all along she has stayed true to her character.

When one is limited with time, this book is a great escapism.

I received the ARC through the Early Reviewer Program ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Apr 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
[Blood and Belonging] by Canadian author [[Vicki Delany]] is the third in the Ray Robertson Mystery series which I received it through Early Reviewers. Ray is a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) stationed in Haiti to assist in training and mentoring at the Haitian Police Academy.. While on holiday in the Turks and Caicos Islands, with his wife, he finds a body on the beach when he is out jogging. This involves him in the refugees from Haiti who are landed in the Turks and Caicos instead of there expected destination, the United States. I

[Blood and Belonging] is part of the Rapid Read series published for ESL students, reluctant readers and people with literacy problems. This series offers short reads that would be of interest to adults. Based on my experience as an ESL tutor and the titles I have read in this series Rapid Reads meets its goal.

This book is a good, quick read that meets the Rapid Read goals and would also interest anyone looking for a short mystery. I recommend it.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

An Early Reviewers book. ( )
  pmarshall | Apr 15, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Vicki Delany's book Blood and Belonging is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible