Blood and Belonging: A Ray Robertson Mystery…

Blood and Belonging: A Ray Robertson Mystery (Rapid Reads)

by Vicki Delany

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I received my copy of this book I discovered that this is the third in a series about the detective. I decided since the books were not short (I have received other Rapid Reads books)that I would start at the beginning. Not all of the Rapid Reads are that
well written but this was by far the best series I have read from this publisher. Ms. Delany writes wonderfully, it's a brief book but
a very interesting mystery and the main Gumshoe is not obnoxious or overly macho. The other part that is so interesting about this
series is that it introduces us to parts of the world that we may not be as familiar with. The first book in the series takes place in the
South Sudan, and it is fascinating the way the author introduces us to the very corrupt and very depressed culture there. The second
book takes place in Haiti and again we learn about the ways the police force operates there, the corruption and the terrible poverty of
the local people who have had to deal with a terrible earth quake. The third book, and the one I was sent to review for this site, deals
with a series of islands that are supposed to be akin to paradise. Again the mystery is connected to a social catastrophe-the illegal
smuggling of foreigners trying to get to North America. The conditions that these people endure are harrowing, there is a scene
where an entire boat load of refugees drown, and again I learned a great deal about the problems and the history of the area.
Vicki Delany is a wonderful, sensitive writer and I definitely look forward to checking out more of her work. I also hope she continues
with this series because I found her writing clear and the plot completely engaging. ( )
  alans | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A quick read for mystery lovers. Pretty intense theme of human trafficking along with the central character's pull between duty and marriage. Personally, I think both could have profited from greater expansion, but of course that would have entailed a longer read. It serves as a little red flag waving about a huge problem in the world that too many of us ignore. Rapid read... but not simplistic. ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | May 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received thru LT Early Re. Third book of hers I've read and enjoyed it as much as the other 2. These are short stories, but always entertaining. Would definitely recommend. ( )
  toades | May 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Blood and Belonging is a mystery novel in the Rapid Reads series of books. The focus on human trafficking and slavery was a much stronger message than I expected for such a short book. It is very concisely written and provides an interesting take on complex international problems with no easy solutions. I enjoyed reading it and will look for more books in this series.

Summary: Highly recommended to mystery novel lovers.

Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book. It is a quick read but has a good story line and plot. I would like to read more in this series. ( )
  tellen81 | Apr 20, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Vicki Delany's book Blood and Belonging is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible