The Physician by Noah Gordon

The Physician (1986)

by Noah Gordon

English (22)  Spanish (11)  German (5)  Catalan (3)  Italian (1)  Galician (1)  All languages (43)
The first in a series. It kept my attention while on an exercise bike. That earns it an extra half star that I can't fill in here! ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
I found the initial story about the boy who became a physician in England in the middle ages really fascinating but then the story migrated to the middle east and the tale went on and on and on! For me it was way too long, like two novels in one. The first part was a full enough novel in itself. I stuck with it but it tried my patience! ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Slow read due to ebook rather than paper. Very well-written, interesting & enjoyable. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
"But it came to seem that Kilmarnock (in Scotland) had always been his life, and that what had happened before was a tale he had heard told around the fire when the wind blew cold."

My favorite line from this fascinating, historical novel set in Saxon England and 11th-century Persia. Bob Cole is orphaned in London and apprenticed to a barber surgeon. As he grows to manhood, he wants to study more about medicine and learns of a legendary physician teaching at a Persian University where Christian students are forbidden. The adventure includes not only a dangerous journey, but a risky impersonation as he wins the Shah's favor, falls in love and becomes a well-regarded man of medicine.
The research Gordon has done is formidable, covering medieval medicine, the settings in both Britain and Persia, and in addition the Christian, Jewish and Muslim religions of the time. Compelling, entertaining and informative, I highly recommend it. This book has been around for decades and I just discovered it, but stories never grow old.
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
Young boy in 11th cent London is apprenticed to a barber who recognizes the boy's gift for healing. Eventually the child grows up and seeks the education he needs to be a physician. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
Fear God and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
--Ecclesiastes 12:13
I will give thanks unto Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
--Psamls 139:14
As to the dead, God will raise them up.
--Qu'ran, S. 6:36
They that be whole need not a physician. But they that are sick.
--Matthew 9:12
With all my love for Nina, who gave me Lorraine
These were Rob J.'s last safe and secure moments of blessed innocence, but in his ignorance he considered it hardship to be forced to remain near his father's house with his brothers and his sister.

Devetogodišnji Robert Jeremy Cole moći će, kad odraste, za sebe reći da je imao sreće u nesreći. Kad su mu 1021. godine umrli roditelji a braća i sestra razdijeljeni drugim obiteljima i skrbnicima, on je uspio izbjeći sudbinu da bude prodan u roblje i otisnuo se u svijet. Henry Croft bio je čovjek koji se bavio liječenjem najsiromašnijih i onih koji je svojim sitnim prevarama pokušavao preživjeti. Kad primi Roba u svoje društvo počet će ga podučavati najprimitivnijim medicinskim metodama toga vremena i tako zainteresirati za liječenje bolesnika... Opsežni povijesni roman Iscjelitelj prvi je dio tzv. liječničke trilogije koja prati članove obitelji Cole koji se, svaki u svom vremenu, suoćavaju s dvojbama koje donosi medicina tog doba.

In the 11th century, Rob Cole left poor, disease-ridden London to make his way across the land, hustling, juggling, peddling cures to the sick—and discovering the mystical ways of healing. It was on his travels that he found his own very real gift for healing—a gift that urged him on to become a doctor. So all consuming was his dream, that he made the perilous, unheard-of journey to Persia, to its Arab universities where he would undertake a transformation that would shape his destiny forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:48 -0400)

Set against the superstition and splendour of the 11th century, The Physician is the story of one man's unbeatable spirit - and one woman's undying love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible