Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein

Red Planet (1949)

by Robert A. Heinlein

I read this when I was a teenager. I loved it back then and read it many times. I have fond memories of my feelings for this book! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
simple language and a fun imaginative story make this enjoyable for both young readers and adults alike ( )
  mccandlessn | Apr 6, 2014 |
It's fascinating to read Heinlein's juveniles again after so many years have gone by. I read this as a young teen, and again perhaps 15 years ago. I was very struck by the libertarian views, particularly after the 2012 election. Heinlein has lots to say on second amendment rights--probably why he set so many of his stories on the "frontier" (the last frontier, anyway.) It was his views on education and schoolteachers that I winced over the most.

I found I had also sort of blanked out the ways male & female characters interact, too. Red Planet has only a few female characters, very few of whom are more than two dimensional sketches: the annoying younger sister, the sweet mom, the snobby neighbor, etc. It's not like Heinlein COULDN'T create good female characters for younger readers: Betty in Star Beast, Hazel in The Rolling Stones. I suppose he was very focused on his perceived audience (male teens) or perhaps he was focused on what he thought bookstores and librarians perceived as his audience.

Verdict: I'd rather reread Star Beast. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Although I am a fan of Heinlein, I was a little (only a little) disappointed with the pace of this book. It was a good book, don't get me wrong, but it seemed the first half of the book dragged on a bit, taking pages to set up a single setting. Then towards the back half of the book, Heinlein seemed to cover 2 or 3 scenes in a single paragraph. I slight exaggeration there, but it is how I felt by reading the book.

Overall though, the story was good. I read this book over a vacation, and I usually go nowhere with reading a book on vacation. I finished this one a few days after returning. It certainly is a page turner. ( )
  Paul.Kohler | Dec 6, 2013 |
Fictionwise multiformat ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geary, CliffordIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savage,SteeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The thin air of Mars was chill but not really cold.

Jim Marlow and his strange-looking Martian friend Willis were allowed to travel only so far. But one day Willis unwittingly tuned into a treacherous plot that threatened all the colonists on Mars, and it set Jim off on a terrfying adventure that could save--or destroy--them all!

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:06 -0400)

A young colonist on Mars befriends a strange round creature called Willis who gets him into trouble when he goes away to school, but whose presence and friendship finally enable the colonials to negotiate a treaty with the Martians.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,349,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible