Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein

Red Planet (1949)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Recently added bybluedream, adamblarson, srkal, M.Bird, private library, VLT1954, Spurts, mother_chicken

My dad read this to me when I was a kid and I have fond memories of it. At one point the main character writes a letter home and says "Tell Sis the girls here are dyeing their hair in stripes." I SO BADLY wanted to live in that future where girls were dyeing their hair in stripes! And now I do. How cool is that? ( )
  piemouth | Dec 1, 2015 |
Another Heinlein I read decades ago when I was a callow youth. I remembered it as a ripping boy's adventure with an interesting alien life form whose life cycle is the major mcguffin in the book. The copy I read recently was a newer edition which restored the cuts made by Heinlein's editor at Scribner's, but didn't find the restored text added much to the novel. I had not remembered how political this novel was from my first reading, so perhaps some of the politics were cut from the first published text. Anyway, it is still a good adventure story, although our knowledge of conditions on Mars has reached the point where this is an alternate universe or even fantasy novel rather than hard science fiction. It is odd to read about canals with ice and seasonal flowing water and vegetation when our contemporary image of Mars is of a dry planet. ( )
  nmele | Apr 27, 2015 |
Heinlein is one of my favorite authors. This one made me laugh out loud. He has a great sense of humour. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
I read this when I was a teenager. I loved it back then and read it many times. I have fond memories of my feelings for this book! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geary, CliffordIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patterson, William H., Jr.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picacio, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The thin air of Mars was chill but not really cold.

Jim Marlow and his strange-looking Martian friend Willis were allowed to travel only so far. But one day Willis unwittingly tuned into a treacherous plot that threatened all the colonists on Mars, and it set Jim off on a terrfying adventure that could save--or destroy--them all!

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

A young colonist on Mars befriends a strange round creature called Willis who gets him into trouble when he goes away to school, but whose presence and friendship finally enable the colonials to negotiate a treaty with the Martians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,960,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible