Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer

Regency Buck (original 1935; edition 2001)

by Georgette Heyer

1,194296,719 (3.79)89
Title:Regency Buck
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Chivers Audio Books (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Tags:Audio, Regency Fiction, Guardian/Ward, Comedy of Manners, 2012

Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer (1935)

Recently added byINorris, private library, K_Weston, kzte1234, alasen_reads, danierenae, vroni, stephanie.redcliffe
    An Infamous Army by Georgette Heyer (arctangent)
    arctangent: The main characters return, along with descendants of characters from Devil's Cub and These Old Shades, also by G. Heyer.

English (27)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (29)
A very enjoyable novel - a spirited heroine and a fun twist towards the end. ( )
  cazfrancis | Feb 27, 2015 |
I first read this book as a teenager, many, many years ago. It was the second Heyer book I had read. I found the period detail fascinating; it inspired me to read a great deal around the period and become seriously interested in early 19th century history but I cannot say that, despite having re-read it several times, I particularly like it. I was never convinced by the Earl of Worth; he was too unpleasant. Heyer clearly intended her readers to feel ambivalent about him in the interest of maintaining her plot but she succeeded too well in making me deeply suspect him to be the villain. I couldn't believe that he'd been the hero all along! I also never felt that he had any romantic interest in the heroine and was astounded that they ended up together! Judith was not very convincing, either; defiant to the point of stupidity and more irritating with every re-reading.

For me the novel is only redeemed by the presence of Worth's brother, Charles Audley, who I will love for ever, and Heyer's excellent writing style and command of historical detail.

Why have I re-read it? It's easy reading when I'm feeling in need of something undemanding, but it's not my first choice out of Heyer's Regency canon. ( )
  maizie2004 | Jan 19, 2015 |
"Regency Buck" is the story of feisty Judith Taverner and Lord Julian St. John Audley, the Fifth Earl of Worth. Due to a careless mistake in her father's will, Judith and her younger brother Peregrine find themselves Julian's wards. Pompous, arrogant, and a bit of a dandy, Julian is as horrified as his wards at the situation, especially when he starts interfering in their lives - as he does when he expressly forbids Judith to marry while under his guardianship. While Judith flourishes in London and becomes quite a favorite of the ton, Peregrine finds himself gambling away a great deal of his fortune - until he falls in love and finds himself wishing to marry, inadvertently putting himself in great danger...

This is a charming book. The characters are three-dimensional and interesting, and Heyer's descriptions of the locations, fashion, and people add a great deal to the atmosphere of the book. The building attraction between Judith and Julian is fun to follow, especially as Judith denies it for most of the book. We are not let as frequently into Julian's thoughts, but it is obvious from his actions when he starts caring for her. The last third of the book is exciting, and although the villain is somewhat obvious, it is a satisfying conclusion nonetheless.

A good and entertaining read! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Ugh. The heroine and her brother are persistent and extensive idiots - at the beginning it's mostly because they don't know who anyone is, later on she's determined to do the opposite of whatever her guardian wants, while the brother is just young and foolish. The other problem is that Heyer is trying to make the guardian out to be the villain, but he's so obviously the hero that the writing tricks she's using (cutting a scene off before he explains himself, using ambiguous dialog) are so transparent they're distracting. Overall it's an OK romance - obvious, but not terrible - but the characters drive me nuts. Worth's problem, also, depends entirely on his never explaining himself - I presume he thinks he's protecting Judith, but by the end it was just stupid. It took me ages to read the book because I couldn't stand to read more than a few pages at a time in the beginning. It gets better, but not good. There are Heyers I love, but this is _not_ one of them. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 15, 2014 |
Judith and Peregrine Taverner are not quite of age when their father dies and wills guardianship to his old friend the Earl of Worth, rather than to his estranged brother. The siblings have never met their guardian, and when he fails to follow through after a round of correspondence, they travel from their home in the country to his home in London, with a plan to set up residence in the city. Stopping overnight along the way, at a hotel filled to capacity for a boxing match, they cross paths with a man who treats Judith with impropriety, assuming her to be of a lower class. Upon arriving in London, they discover this man is their guardian. Surely not? He is far too young. Alas yes; the intended 4th Earl died before the will was written, the will erroneously referred to the 5th Earl, and legally there is no way out. He is no happier about the situation than they are, but he is conscientious about his responsibilities. The Taverner fortune is considerable, and the Taverner siblings are naive, vulnerable to exploitation. The Earl arranges a house and servants, and introduces the siblings to society. Judith is a hit, stylishly attired and advised by Beau Brummel on the skills of being remarkable. She is bombarded with marriage proposals, which must be approved by the Earl, who declares that he will reject every one. She protests, not because she wants to marry but because she wants to decide for herself. The Earl tends to take command with minimal communication. Among the men in attentive circulation are the siblings’ cousin, and the Earl’s brother, both pleasant companions. Peregrine gets caught up in gambling and would rapidly drown in debt if not for the Earl’s strict budget, then is smitten by a young woman from a respectable family, perhaps a steadying influence, and the Earl agrees to a betrothal. Peregrine is prone to trouble: he is challenged to a duel, he is shot at on the road, he becomes oddly ill. His fortune will go to Judith if he dies before marrying. Who can be trusted? The romance and the mystery resolve at a slow pace, often receding into the backdrop of social customs and events.

The characters and locations are historically real; for this reason the novel is interesting (I had to look up “Regency”, which indicates my prior level of knowledge), and I’d be inclined to read another in the future. It is also, at nearly 400 pages, a bit tedious. Not because of the writing, which is engaging, but because apparently people of the upper echelons didn’t _do_ anything; their days were filled with dinners, dances, excursions, theater, cards, clubs, invitations, selecting gowns, folding cravats – leisure activities by current standards, but leisure activities that had to be accomplished with precisely the right appearance and mannerisms and social connections. This is approximately my idea of hell, and I would read for awhile then step away for a break, appreciating my middle class job.
  qebo | Jan 15, 2014 |
Newark was left behind and the post-chaise-and-four entered on a stretch of flat country which offered little to attract the eye, or occasion remark.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553024620, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

"After their father's death, Miss Judith Taverner and her brother Peregrine travel to London to meet their guardian, Lord Worth, expecting an elderly gentleman. To their surprise and utter disgust, their guardian is not much older than they are, doesn't want the office of guardian any more than they want him, and is determined to thwart all their interests and return them to the country. But when Miss Taverner and Peregrine begin to move in the highest social circles, Lord Worth cannot help but entangle himself with his adventuresome wards..."--Publisher's website.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,778,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible