Standard Deviation by Katherine Heiny

Standard Deviation

by Katherine Heiny

quirky novel that drew me in as the story progressed. found audra a little unbelievable...do people think like that out loud? Laugh out loud funny in some places ( )
  shelleykaikohe | Sep 21, 2017 |
Recommended by Sophia S.
  JennyArch | Aug 18, 2017 |
The best character I've encountered all year is not the narrator of this hilarious novel. The story is brilliantly told by Graham, married to Audra, a decade younger than he, and they are the parents of ten year old Matthew, whose place on the Asperger spectrum is defined by his elevated status in the Origami Club, where he can fold Lang's Tarantula better than the fifty year old club members.

Audra is an extreme extrovert, given to intense and inappropriate conversations with just about everyone in Manhattan. The guest room in their apartment is constantly populated by any number of friends and strangers gathered in by Audra, whose boundless curiosity and outspokenness is like honey for all the weird bees with hard luck stories. Graham admires and resents her mightily, and he tells the story of their family life with more liveliness, insight, and humor than could be expected from any straight man.

DO NOT MISS THIS BOOK.

Quotes:"Men only like clothing that reminds them of other, sexier clothing, and they only like the other, sexier clothing because they hope the woman wearing it will soon stop wearing it and get into bed with them."

"Graham had come to believe that people were only happy when they could feel one emotion at a time. People in love were happy because being in love blocked all the other emotions out." ( )
  froxgirl | Aug 6, 2017 |
Amusing and fast but glad I don't know any of the people in it. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jul 7, 2017 |
4.5 Love, marriage, infidelity and origami. Well the origami sound like an interesting twist but the others sound like many novels out there, common enough that I would have given this a pass if not for the reviews of a few of my friends on this site. So I started reading this, thinking a truly amusing book doesn't come by that often, so often I end up finding the humor is just corny. This book though is truly amusing, laugh out loud funny in parts and very easy to identify with.

The second paragraph, " Here they are grocery shopping in Fairway on a Saturday morning, a normal married thing to do together---although, Graham could not help noticing, they were not doing it together. His wife, Audra, spent almost the whole time talking to people she knew---it was like accompanying a visiting dignitary of some sort, or maybe a presidential hopeful---while he did the normal shopping."

Only the second paragraph and I was in love with this book. You see, my husband is Audra, truly. So then does this make me Graham? Well not exactly, though we do share some thoughts, actually quite a few, such as this one,
" No one had cancelled Thanksgiving.
Graham found that remarkable. Although maybe that was the most stressful
thing about holidays: they couldn't be cancelled. The holidays marched in unwanted and forced themselves upon you like Vikings invading a village, or a wet dog who shakes himself next to you."

Add this to a son,who is on the higher end of the Asperger's scale, who falls in love with oregami, but changes in surprising ways, the oregami club itself and an ex wife his present wife wants to double date with and you have a surprising, modern day comedy of errors. It's not all surface fluff though, there are some valid insights into marriage and parenting and what we all hope to get from them, plus all we have to put into them. The adjustments we make daily and the changes we see as a result.

A wonderful summer read, actually a wonderful read for anytime. ( )
1 vote Beamis12 | Jun 30, 2017 |

The celebrated author of Single, Carefree, Mellow, returns with her debut novel--a rueful, funny examination of love, marriage, infidelity, and origami.

Graham Cavanaugh’s second wife, Audra, is everything his first wife was not. Audra is charming and spontaneous and fun, but life with her can be exhausting, constantly interrupted by phone calls, burdened by houseguests, and populated by old men with backpacks full of origami paper. As Graham and Audra struggle to define their marriage and raise a child with Asperger's, they decide to establish a friendship with his first wife, Elspeth. But former spouses are hard to categorize--are they friends, enemies, old flames, or just people who know you really, really well? Graham starts to wonder: How can anyone love two such different women? Did he make the right choice? Is there a right choice? A novel as poignant as it is hilarious, Standard Deviation never deviates from superb.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 07 Jan 2017 03:59:14 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible