Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You,…

Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You, the Medical System, and Society…

by Patch Adams

This audio book claims to be "the #1 Best Seller that the motion picture was based on" but its far from that. The whole movie is based almost solely on the books Prologue. The rest of the book is much more in depth telling of how Adams' anarchistic one on one relationship based approach to medicine should work, and his adventures teaching medidence in the USSR etc.

I listened to this in August, and forgot to review, so I could have provided a better review then, but hey not too bad for 5 months later. ( )
  fulner | Dec 9, 2014 |
Not at all what I was expecting. This is a collection of essays that covers the philosophy that Patch Adams brings to his medical practice. Entertaining; but I can't help but think that most of his ideas are hippie-dippy rainbows and unicorns. With the litigious nature of your average American, the HIPPA rules set out by the American government, and now Obamacare, I'm not sure how the Gesundheit Institute can hold onto its ideals and still practice medicine in America in 2013. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 19, 2013 |
This man is a humanist, he does not take into account the effect of sin and our departure from God, but there is so much truth to be found in this book. It inspires one to action. To take responsibility for our own health and delight in life. It should be mandatory reading for all those involved in health care, but the ideas of humor, love and passion for life transcend into any life work. I would like to have my pastor and the deacons read it. It compels me to take a walk, call a friend and ask my doctor if I can help him to make his waiting room more fun!
My only criticism would be the repetition, but he made his point. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 25, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 089281781X, Paperback)

The inspiring and hilarious story of Patch Adams's quest to bring free health care to the world and to transform the way doctors practice medicine

• Tells the story of Patch Adam's lifetime quest to transform the health care system

• Released as a film from Universal Pictures, starring Robin Williams

Meet Patch Adams, M.D., a social revolutionary who has devoted his career to giving away health care. Adams is the founder of the Gesundheit Institute, a home-based medical practice that has treated more than 15,000 people for free, and that is now building a full-scale hospital that will be open to anyone in the world free of charge. Ambitious? Yes. Impossible? Not for those who know and work with Patch. Whether it means putting on a red clown nose for sick children or taking a disturbed patient outside to roll down a hill with him, Adams does whatever is necessary to help heal. In his frequent lectures at medical schools and international conferences, Adams's irrepressible energy cuts through the businesslike facade of the medical industry to address the caring relationship between doctor and patient that is at the heart of true medicine.

All author royalties are used to fund The Gesundheit Institute, a 40-bed free hospital in West Virginia.

Adams's positive vision and plan for the future is an inspiration for those concerned with the inaccessibility of affordable, quality health care.

Today's high-tech medicine has become too costly, impersonal, and grim. In his frequent lectures to colleges, churches, community groups, medical schools, and conferences, Patch shows how healing can be a loving, creative, humorous human exchange--not a business transaction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:22 -0400)

The doctor describes his work with poor patients.

35 avail.1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible