Ringworld Throne by Larry Niven

Ringworld Throne (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Larry Niven

Title:Ringworld Throne
Authors:Larry Niven
Info:Del Rey (1997), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Science fiction

The Ringworld Throne by Larry Niven (1996)

Recently added bydreamweaver7777, adamblarson, thomask7818, meehanpj, private library, thejayray, tyrelsouza

Larry Niven has spun another really cool plot: Louis Wu and his colleagues, still stranded on Ringworld after saving it from falling into its sun in The Ringworld Engineers, become embroiled in a mystery involving Protectors who are both restoring Ramjets along the Rim Wall to keep the Ringworld stable and defending it from invaders by controlling the defense system. Meanwhile, a large part of the book is devoted to an alliance between a number of hominid species trying to rid their sector of a horde of vampires (not the supernatural kind, but rather non-sentient hominids who lure other species through strong pheronome smells, driving them crazy with lust so they can kill and suck their blood).

But I can't take Niven's storytelling any more. He's just not good at describing what's going on in a clear way. I found myself bewildered while trying to figure out what was going on. And there are so many characters of many species involved in the vampire hunting that it's very hard to keep them straight, all for a side-story that I was trying to get through just so I could get back to Louis Wu and the Hindmost, who are much more interesting. The machinations around the vampire nest under a floating city are endless, and I couldn't really understand the physics behind what they were trying to do.

I bulled through it because, as I noted, the plot is cool. The concept of Protectors, who are hominids who have been exposed to the Tree of Life plant and essentially become Supermen with an instinct to protect their species, is nicely fleshed out. But it's just too hard to follow the plot- I'm done with Niven. ( )
  DanTarlin | Jun 24, 2015 |
I believe it was Isaac Asimov who said that in true science fiction, the setting is the real protagonist. In this third Ringworld book, Niven is finally arriving at that stage; there's frustratingly little of Louis Wu (undoubtedly Niven's most interesting and compelling character) in the first half of this book, so it was slow going for me until the Ringworld itself roped me in. By that, I mean that eventually I kept pushing forward, not because I cared what happened to the people, but more because I was intrigued by what they would find next, and by the ultimate fate of the world. Much the same as the last two of the original six Dune novels in that way.

Not nearly as warm, funny, or emotionally involving as the first Ringworld book, but more compelling than The Ringworld Engineers. Again, Niven's intelligence and imagination leave little to be criticized, and this series is definitely worthwhile reading for the fan of speculative fiction. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Ringworld series, taking place in the universe that Niven has created, where humans and humanoids are descendants from the Pak protectors. This book focusses on the protectors on the Ringworld, protectors of and from several different races. It is several years after the events in the Ringworld Engineers. Louis Wu is travelling the Ringworld alone, while some of the Ringworlders that have appeared before are fighting an infestation of vampires. Louis returns to the Hindmost and his ship, is joined by Acolyte, the son of Chmeee, and is turned into a slave by a vampire-protector. In the end the main question of the book is: "Who is the best protector for the whole of the Ringworld, all the species together?".
I don't know if it was my mood while reading, or if it was the book itself. I am guessing a bit of both, but the book was pretty confusing to me. I still don't know what the main vampire infestation has to do with the story of the protectors. I couldn't follow half of the things that were happening with Louis, the protectors, the old protectors, Teela, the people from Earth, Ringworld. I felt it was all too much, all was stuffed in this book to give the reader the feeling that he/she is back in the world of Ringworld. It was all a bit disappointing, so three out of four stars from me. ( )
  divinenanny | Apr 7, 2012 |
Enjoyable, but not as good as the first volume ( )
1 vote willowcove | Sep 1, 2010 |
Readers who remember Ringworld from earlier encounters will no doubt relish the latest installment of the saga.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gerald Jonas (Sep 15, 1996)

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Robert Heinlein

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345412966, Mass Market Paperback)

In Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers Larry Niven created Known Space, a universe in the distant future with a distinctive and complicated history. The center of this universe is Ringworld, an expansive hoop-shaped relic 1 million miles across and 600 million miles in circumference that is home to some 30 trillion diverse inhabitants. As in his past novels, Niven's characters in The Ringworld Throne spend their time unraveling the complex problems posed by their society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:20 -0400)

In the twenty-ninth century, Louis Wu, a 200-years-young adventurer, became one of the first humans from Known Space to set foot on the Ringworld, and his exploits there became legends among many of the native races. During Louis Wu's second sojourn on the Ringworld, he was able to save it from total destruction... but several hundred million people died anyway, and that was a mighty weight on one man's conscience. But odd events on the Ringworld would require Louis Wu's attention once again: Vampires were gathering in untold numbers; Protectors, immensely powerful beings dedicated to safeguarding their own bloodlines above all else, were interfering with species not their own and with each other. If the Ringworld was to remain intact, it was going to need one central Protector of its own. But who would sit on the Ringworld Throne?...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible