Ringworld Throne by Larry Niven

Ringworld Throne (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Larry Niven

Member:justjim
Title:Ringworld Throne
Authors:Larry Niven
Info:Del Rey (1997), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Science fiction

The Ringworld Throne by Larry Niven (1996)

Recently added bymakaaron, turk70, Speckto, Krijnen, drcmg, private library

I believe it was Isaac Asimov who said that in true science fiction, the setting is the real protagonist. In this third Ringworld book, Niven is finally arriving at that stage; there's frustratingly little of Louis Wu (undoubtedly Niven's most interesting and compelling character) in the first half of this book, so it was slow going for me until the Ringworld itself roped me in. By that, I mean that eventually I kept pushing forward, not because I cared what happened to the people, but more because I was intrigued by what they would find next, and by the ultimate fate of the world. Much the same as the last two of the original six Dune novels in that way.

Not nearly as warm, funny, or emotionally involving as the first Ringworld book, but more compelling than The Ringworld Engineers. Again, Niven's intelligence and imagination leave little to be criticized, and this series is definitely worthwhile reading for the fan of speculative fiction. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Ringworld series, taking place in the universe that Niven has created, where humans and humanoids are descendants from the Pak protectors. This book focusses on the protectors on the Ringworld, protectors of and from several different races. It is several years after the events in the Ringworld Engineers. Louis Wu is travelling the Ringworld alone, while some of the Ringworlders that have appeared before are fighting an infestation of vampires. Louis returns to the Hindmost and his ship, is joined by Acolyte, the son of Chmeee, and is turned into a slave by a vampire-protector. In the end the main question of the book is: "Who is the best protector for the whole of the Ringworld, all the species together?".
I don't know if it was my mood while reading, or if it was the book itself. I am guessing a bit of both, but the book was pretty confusing to me. I still don't know what the main vampire infestation has to do with the story of the protectors. I couldn't follow half of the things that were happening with Louis, the protectors, the old protectors, Teela, the people from Earth, Ringworld. I felt it was all too much, all was stuffed in this book to give the reader the feeling that he/she is back in the world of Ringworld. It was all a bit disappointing, so three out of four stars from me. ( )
  divinenanny | Apr 7, 2012 |
Enjoyable, but not as good as the first volume ( )
1 vote willowcove | Sep 1, 2010 |
A return to the Ringworld after a long writing delay. At the start, the Ringworld denizens have to deal with vampires of a sort. Yep, whacky. Later on, Louis Wu and our puppeteer friend have some of the same work to do, as he and Speaker To Animals' son are taken captive by a vampire Pak Protector.

They end up involved in a Protector conflict, vamps vs the others. In general though, the usual suspects aren't really the main focus of the book, it is the Pak struggle that occupies this position.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2007/01/ringworld-throne-larry-niven.html ( )
  bluetyson | Jan 29, 2007 |
Readers who remember Ringworld from earlier encounters will no doubt relish the latest installment of the saga.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gerald Jonas (Sep 15, 1996)

for Robert Heinlein

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345412966, Mass Market Paperback)

In Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers Larry Niven created Known Space, a universe in the distant future with a distinctive and complicated history. The center of this universe is Ringworld, an expansive hoop-shaped relic 1 million miles across and 600 million miles in circumference that is home to some 30 trillion diverse inhabitants. As in his past novels, Niven's characters in The Ringworld Throne spend their time unraveling the complex problems posed by their society.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:33 -0400)

In the twenty-ninth century, Louis Wu, a 200-years-young adventurer, became one of the first humans from Known Space to set foot on the Ringworld, and his exploits there became legends among many of the native races. During Louis Wu's second sojourn on the Ringworld, he was able to save it from total destruction... but several hundred million people died anyway, and that was a mighty weight on one man's conscience. But odd events on the Ringworld would require Louis Wu's attention once again: Vampires were gathering in untold numbers; Protectors, immensely powerful beings dedicated to safeguarding their own bloodlines above all else, were interfering with species not their own and with each other. If the Ringworld was to remain intact, it was going to need one central Protector of its own. But who would sit on the Ringworld Throne?...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,107,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible