Rising Sun by Michael Crichton

Rising Sun

by Michael Crichton

Recently added bykewlgeek, private library, ClariT76

English (26)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Problems With Japanese-American Relationship
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
Absolutely gripping. Quite an elaborate plot relayed in a very simple matter. 200 pages into this 388 page book I thought the case was wrapped, and then "Oh wow!" 150 pages later, I thought the story was wrapped again, and then "Oh wow!" Crichton kept pulling fast ones, with great believable twists. A very, very good book. So good in fact, that I promise never to see the movie. :-)
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Michael Crichton's books are hit or miss. Rising Sun is a miss. I think it's supposed to be taking place during the mid to late 1980s when there was an influx of Japanese business ventures in the United States -- especially in California. I remember the xenophobic response from some people of my parents age and especially of people my grandparents age (not everyone, of course). As a teenager, I was surprised, confused and later embarrassed by the reactions of my relatives.

Rising Sun is clearly playing into those sentiments and frankly I don't like it. Both cultures, American and Japanese in this book are reduced to stereotypal representations making for a boring, predicatable and insulting read. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 1, 2014 |
Written in 1992, this book was very dated in its plot. Crichton was heavy handedly warning about how the Japanese were rapidly taking over the U.S. Well, the Japanese economy ended up imploding and now the Chinese are taking over. I wonder if he'd be surprised. The plot was pretty good, good characters but it got far too bogged down in the minutiae of Japanese business and culture so it was a slow read at times. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 17, 2014 |
no rating, prior to recording
  Carole-Ann | Aug 6, 2014 |
We are entering a world where the old rules no longer apply. --Phillip Sanders
Business is war. --Japanese motto
To my mother, Zula Mille Crichton
Actually, I was sitting on my bed in my apartment in Culver City, watching the Lakers game with the sound turned off, while I tried to study vocabulary for my introductory Japanese class.
Er wacht ons een wereld waarin de oude regels niet meer van toepassing zijn. (Phillip Sanders)
Zakendoen is oorlog. (Japans motto)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345380371, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

During the grand opening celebration of the new American headquarters of an immense Japanese conglomerate, the dead body of a beautiful woman is found. The investigation begins, and immediately becomes a headlong chase through a twisting maze of industrial intrigue and a violent business battle that takes no prisoners.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,909,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible