Rising Sun by Michael Crichton

Rising Sun (edition 1992)

by Michael Crichton

Collections:Your library, read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction

Rising Sun by Michael Crichton

English (29)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (33)
good @ Japanese murder here - their customs - own LA etc

christinejoseph | Jan 30, 2016 |
I'm not a big Crichton fan, but found this book fun -- mostly because of the characters who are dealing with culture shock. If you've ever lived abroad, you can certainly sympathize with the characters who feel overwhelmed by the cultural differences they encounter as they start to untangle the mystery behind a young woman's death. Crichton seems to warning us against doing business with the Japanese, but one can ignore his Red scare tactics... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
amazing twist of plot. got better insight of Japan and there culture/working style etc. very good book to read. My 4th Crichton book and all were great. He's got an amazing talent of story telling that too being a Medic by profession !! looking fwd to read more of this books and BTW dont miss this book do read it :) ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is a fast-paced, competent novel of suspense, murder and international politics between the USA and Japan, in which a Special Services operative, Peter Smith, is called upon to solve the murder of a young Caucasian woman at the opening celebration party of the Nakamoto Tower in Los Angeles. With the help of John Connor, a legendary retired Special Services operative who has spent time in Japan and knows their customs and language, he attempts to penetrate the wall of differing cultures and attitudes that block him from obtaining the truth. This is fairly faithful to the later movie with Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery. It is somewhat marred by Crichton's wariness of the Japanese, which shows in the storyline, John Connor's attitude, and the afterword that follows the conclusion. Crichton is warning us that the Japanese see business as war, and are set on financially conquering this country and becoming our masters. I don't know enough about Japan to know if there's any truth to this, but Crichton wrote of this as an imminent threat 24 years ago, and I don't see any evidence of it yet. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 8, 2016 |
The japonese country is more than people...
A good view to understand the japonese culture from an american view ( )
  NelsonFaria | Dec 5, 2015 |
We are entering a world where the old rules no longer apply. --Phillip Sanders
Business is war. --Japanese motto
To my mother, Zula Mille Crichton
Actually, I was sitting on my bed in my apartment in Culver City, watching the Lakers game with the sound turned off, while I tried to study vocabulary for my introductory Japanese class.
Er wacht ons een wereld waarin de oude regels niet meer van toepassing zijn. (Phillip Sanders)
Zakendoen is oorlog. (Japans motto)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345380371, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

During the grand opening celebration of the new American headquarters of an immense Japanese conglomerate, the dead body of a beautiful woman is found. The investigation begins, and immediately becomes a headlong chase through a twisting maze of industrial intrigue and a violent business battle that takes no prisoners.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible