At the Broken Places: A Mother and Trans Son…

At the Broken Places: A Mother and Trans Son Pick Up the Pieces

by Mary Collins

115820,536 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think is was very courageous of Mary and Donald to share their story. After reading this book, I have a much better understanding of what transgender means (physically and mentally). As both authors point out, their story and experiences are not typical or out of the ordinary. Everyone's experience is different, some very accepting and loving and others, heart breaking. Whether you want to gain a better understanding or just want an interesting read, this is the book!!! ( )
  rolyat | Mar 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mother and transgender son tell their story of his change with alternating chapters. It is painful to read but they are beginning to heal their mother child relationship. I would recommend this to a parent or child in this situation. Not fun reading. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received the copy of the Mary and Donald Collins’ book "At the Broken Places: A Mother and Trans Son Pick Up the Pieces" through LibraryThing. This is a pre-publication copy of this book. I thank LibraryThing and the Publisher of this book for giving me the opportunity to grow a little as a human being by reading this book.

To the best of my knowledge I do not know or have ever met a transgender person. I selected this book to broaden my knowledge. I found this to be a well written book and I believe I learned a good deal from reading it. The pain suffered by both the mother and her now son as they journey through this uniques experience is heart rendering to read. My feeling is that I came away with a better understanding of what happens to the person going through the transgender process. I do not have children so I cannot say that I understand her “loss” of a daughter. But in my minds eye I asked myself “what would you feel if it were your husband going through this?” I believe I would experience at least something such as Mary did.

I believe any person who reads this book with even a semi-open mind can come away from the read with more knowledge and understanding. Please consider buying and reading this book. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Mar 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book that tugged at my heart as a young man and his mother each tell their version of the difficult process of his transition from female to male. As he became more at home in his body, more sure of himself, and happier over all, his mother mourned the loss of her daughter. I'm afraid I was less sympathetic to her as she withheld her support in favor of dwelling on her own loss, both of the existence of the daughter and of her maternal influence over her offspring. In the end the passage of time, the writing of the book and the introspection required allowed them to reconcile and to forge a new relationship.
  herzogm | Mar 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book discusses a relationship between a mother and her trans son years after the san came out and began his transition process. I have read several other books related to trans people and their experiences, but this was the first book that looked at both the parent's view and the trans person's view. I was surprised by many of the statistics and facts about the medical community's relationship with trans people. Overall, this was an enlightening read and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to understand more about the complex relationship issues that having a trans person in your life can create. ( )
  KarenRendall | Mar 18, 2017 |
We have few positive avenues for honest conversation.  Everyone digs in with hard-and-fast points of view.  We demonize each other.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

At the Broken Places: A Mother and Trans Son Pick Up the Pieces by is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible