Ma Speaks Up: And a First Generation…

Ma Speaks Up: And a First Generation Daughter Talks Back

by Marianne Leone

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free ARC in exchange for my honest opinion about the book. Overall, I liked this book. However, the whole setup (layout) of the story and timeline seemed a bit confusing. The author wrote each chapter as an anecdote about the life of her mother. I think it would have been more useful for the reader (who obviously did NOT not Ma) if it had been more in a chronological order. ( )
  yukon92 | Mar 26, 2017 |
I just couldn't finish it. I guess it just didn't hold my interest and wasn't really my cup of tea. ( )
  Jmbusa | Mar 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very funny, loving and touching memoir of an old school Italian mother and her independent American born daughter and their tumultuous relationship. Marianne describes her 'Ma' to a T and shares with us some very interesting tales about how it was growing up with such a strong female lead in her life. Loved hearing about the family members and especially enjoyed the photos included towards the end. My own upbringing was completely different so my eyes got pretty wide at some of the things 'Ma' was capable of. Highly recommended. ( )
  erinclark | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First and foremost, I had a question about the title. Or, actually, the subtitle. If Marianne Leone's mother was born in the United States how could Ms. Leone be first generation? Then, I got it. Ma tells tales. Ma exaggerates. The light bulb went on and I prepared myself for a more than amusing story about a daughter's off kilter relationship with her mother.

Leone's writing is fast paced and witty. I loved the sarcasm and pop culture references. The photographs were a nice addition.
I only had one complaint about Ma Speaks Up. Normally, I enjoy biographies and memoirs. I find it fun to look through the window of someone else's life; a life way more interesting than my own. However, I found Ma Speaks Up to be chronologically all over the place. In one sentence Leone could be talking about her baby brother and in another her own child, jumping from being a child herself to a full adult. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ma Speaks Up is an eloquent, honest memoir of Marianne Leone's relationship with her mother. Marianne did a wonderful job of describing her parents and extended family so I felt as though I actually knew them! As the stories would switch from those focusing on Marianne, her mother, her grandmother, or her aunt, at times, I had to go back and re-read a section to remind myself of who was whom; however, overall, this was a poignant and funny reflection on mother-daughter turmoil. ( )
  cyndiea | Mar 23, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ma Speaks Up: And a First Generation Daughter Talks Back by Marianne Leone is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible