One, two, buckle my shoe by Agatha Christie

One, two, buckle my shoe (original 1940; edition 1980)

by Agatha Christie

Member:andejons
Title:One, two, buckle my shoe
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Fontana (1980), Paperback, 191 pages
Collections:Ägda, Your library, Hemhemma, Bra omslag, Läst 2003-2007, Läst 2012, Omätt, Ovägt
Tags:brittisk litteratur, deckare, skönlitteratur, mord, Hercule Poirot, tandläkare

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie (1940)

English (27)  Spanish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (31)
Hercule Poirot is determined to prove that his friendly dentist did not commit suicide. Poirot had had an appointment with him on the very day he died. This gives him an advantage to solve the mystery. Crafted as only Agatha Christie could, this mystery does not disappoint. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 16, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed One Two Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie. The author used her little grey cells in this whodunit to fit each chapter into the next line of the nursery rhyme and delivered a coherent and tantalizing mystery. This is Hercule Poirot at his most secretive as he pieces the clues together and never lets us lowly reader into his thought processes. I don’t even try to solve these mysteries, I simply turn the pages and absorb the old-fashioned British atmosphere, the quaint characters and in this case, the slightly over-the-top mystery.

This cryptic mystery starts with Hercule Poirot visiting his dentist, a dentist that is all too soon to be found dead. The suspects are limited, but motive is almost non-existent so this murder gets filed away as a suicide, but that verdict does not sit well with M. Poirot and he keeps puzzling away until he has found the answer.

I always look forward to reading an Agatha Christie, and this one really hit the spot for me. Lots of red herrings, a few strange twists and the oh-so-superior Hercule Poirot made One Two Buckle My Shoe a very good read for me. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 10, 2016 |
One, Two, Buckle my shoe by Agatha Christie - Good

Waiting on a bookray to arrive, I needed a quick, relatively undemanding, read - especially after wading through 700 pages of Dominion! Of course, I turn to Agatha Christie.

Not much left to say really, you all know I love her books. They are my favourite 'go to' - despite the TV adaptations, there is enough that's different to make you read to the end.

Perfect cosy (crime) read. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I am reading the entire Agatha Christie series, this wasnt a favorite, but I do enjoy her stories. ( )
  JoBDo | Jan 2, 2016 |
International intrigue; armaments and secret service; a huge cast including financiers and anarchists, dentists and missionaries and Greek blackmailers; superfluous nursery rhyme. It all adds up to a rather ramshackle and unconvincing whole, and the convoluted if implausible solution (the gun and the garden hedge! the amateur dentistry!) is arrived at mainly by guesswork. Japp's last outing; he's more than usually idiotic here. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One, two, buckle my shoe,
Three, four, shut the door,
Five, six, pick up sticks,
Seven, eight, lay them straight,
Nine, ten, a good fat hen,
Eleven, twelve, men must delve,
Thirteen, fourteen, Maids are courting,
Fifteen, sixteen, Maids in the kitchen,
Seventeen, eighteen, Maid in waiting,
Nineteen, twenty, my plate's empty....
To Dorothy North
who likes detective stories and cream,
in the hope it may make up to her for
the absence of the latter!
Mr. Morley was not in the best of tempers at breakfast.
Hercule Poirot said to himself, with astonishment in the thought, "Is it possible that I am growing old?"
aka An Overdose of Death / The Patriotic Murders

It was shortly after 12:30 appointment that Dr. Morley was found with a bullet through his right temple. the gun was on the floor beside him. The authorities were satisfied that the amiable old dentist had shot himself. Hercule Poirot was not. But who could have murdered him? One of Dr. Morley's glamorous patients? His hard-drinking partner? His secretary's disgruntled boyfriend? All Poirot has is a hung, too many clues, and a killer who will not be satisfied with only one victim.
-----------------
Japp led the way down the passage and Poirot followed him. His nose wrinkled.
"Not nice," said Japp. "But what can you expect? She's been well over a month."
The room they went into was a small lumber and box room. in the middle of it was a big metal chest of the kind used for storing furs. the lie was open.
Poirot stepped forward and looked inside
He saw the foot first...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425105709, Mass Market Paperback)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe it when a dentist allegedly commits suicide--especially after drilling the doctor's patients, partners, and friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe the amiable old dentist shot himself. He has too many clues and a killer who is not satisified with one victim.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,160,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible