Das Geheimnis der Schnallenschuhe by Agatha…

Das Geheimnis der Schnallenschuhe (original 1940; edition 2001)

by Agatha Christie, Agatha Christie (Author)

Member:84charingcross
Title:Das Geheimnis der Schnallenschuhe
Authors:Agatha Christie
Other authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Loewe Verlag GmbH (2001), Gebundene Ausgabe, 219 Seiten
Collections:Meine Bücher
Tags:Krimi

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie (1940)

English (36)  Spanish (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (41)
A bit of an over-complex plot, with too many rather two-dimensional character, in my view. Poirot is central, and we see his viewpoint right from the start; he is always good value. But I didn't much care about any of the possible perpetrators of the inevitable crime. I doubt if I could have come up with the actual person or the events as they eventually unroll, but I didn't have any strong feelings about anyone.

Not a bad book, and I found it hard to put down in the final chapters, but not one of my favourites. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 21, 2019 |
The death of Poirot’s dentist reunites him with Inspector Japp for one final investigation together.

An unusually bleak foray for Dame Agatha, coinciding with the onset of World War II, and investigating conflicts between conservatism and communism. It’s not always subtle, nor brilliant, but it’s an interesting step for Christie. However, "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe" is neither particularly eye-catching nor, for that matter, unpredictable… at least in the murder mystery elements. Poirot – who starts the book the victim of some very gleeful humour regarding his fear of dentists – is forced to face his own conscience, and the resulting dilemma is very well articulated. (Perhaps needless to say, at the point, the eponymous nursery rhyme ain’t all that important. It was a useful gambit around which Christie could set a story, but often ended in nought.)

Is there anything terrible about this novel? No, not in the least. It’s readable, and Japp puts in a strong performance. The David Suchet adaptation – while not my personal favourite – was the series’ first real foray into bleakness, and plays it well.

[US readers - lucky you - got not one but two alternative titles for this book: The Patriotic Murders and An Overdose of Death.]

Poirot ranking: 27th out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
At first she charms me with her dry, simple style of storytelling. By the middle I am just trudging through. After reading the end I wonder how she got away with such absurdities. In this case she seems to have forgotten what she was trying to do with her Raikes character. ( )
  johnclaydon | Mar 17, 2018 |
Another fun Poirot mystery solved! For this one, I already had figured out an inkling of how the situation would be explained before the end, but as usual, there were a couple twists that I didn't guess at. Recommended to any Christie fan. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Another entirely enjoyable entry in the Poirot series. So many red herrings, as always, and an unguessable mystery, again as usual. ( )
  electrascaife | May 10, 2017 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One, two, buckle my shoe,
Three, four, shut the door,
Five, six, pick up sticks,
Seven, eight, lay them straight,
Nine, ten, a good fat hen,
Eleven, twelve, men must delve,
Thirteen, fourteen, Maids are courting,
Fifteen, sixteen, Maids in the kitchen,
Seventeen, eighteen, Maid in waiting,
Nineteen, twenty, my plate's empty....
To Dorothy North
who likes detective stories and cream,
in the hope it may make up to her for
the absence of the latter!
Mr. Morley was not in the best of tempers at breakfast.
Hercule Poirot said to himself, with astonishment in the thought, "Is it possible that I am growing old?"
aka An Overdose of Death / The Patriotic Murders

It was shortly after 12:30 appointment that Dr. Morley was found with a bullet through his right temple. the gun was on the floor beside him. The authorities were satisfied that the amiable old dentist had shot himself. Hercule Poirot was not. But who could have murdered him? One of Dr. Morley's glamorous patients? His hard-drinking partner? His secretary's disgruntled boyfriend? All Poirot has is a hung, too many clues, and a killer who will not be satisfied with only one victim.
-----------------
Japp led the way down the passage and Poirot followed him. His nose wrinkled.
"Not nice," said Japp. "But what can you expect? She's been well over a month."
The room they went into was a small lumber and box room. in the middle of it was a big metal chest of the kind used for storing furs. the lie was open.
Poirot stepped forward and looked inside
He saw the foot first...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425105709, Mass Market Paperback)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe it when a dentist allegedly commits suicide--especially after drilling the doctor's patients, partners, and friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe the amiable old dentist shot himself. He has too many clues and a killer who is not satisified with one victim.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible