The Patriotic Murders by Agatha Christie

The Patriotic Murders (original 1940; edition 1940)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Member:RedQueen
Title:The Patriotic Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1986) Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Favorites
Tags:classic British, detective, Hercule Poirot, mystery, England, 12

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie (1940)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
This is definitely one of Christie's more entertaining mysteries. Poirot's dentist winds up dead shortly after the great detective's visit. This is followed by the death of a Greek aristocrat and an unidentified woman, all of whom visited the dentist that day. We add to this a whiff of communist conspiracy and a banking magnate whose life is in danger. Poirot has to chase down multiple murders and multiple unclear identities. I figured out the culprit, but not the how or the why. As the best mysteries do, this one kept me riveted, and had numerous twists and turns. One of Christie's best. ( )
  lahochstetler | Feb 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this and even though the conclusion was extremely far-fetched (and I'd more or les guessed the motive), I was pleasantly surprised by the moral dilemna Poirot faces at the very end. Interesting novel, shame it's not more well-known. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
One can't go too wrong with Agatha Christie. Not her most memorable, but enjoyable enough. ( )
  emanate28 | Oct 14, 2013 |
Agatha Christie is my all-time favorite mystery writer and while this may not be my all-time favorite Agatha Christie mystery, it is still quite wonderful.

Poirot has a dental appointment, which he dreads as much as us ordinary humans do, and finds out later that his dentist was found dead shortly after he saw him. It is presumed to be suicide at first but of course it isn't. There is no shortage of suspects since there was a waiting room full of patients, including one of the most influential bankers in England. Poirot does his usual cerebral job of solving one of the most convoluted crimes in his career.

While this book has a complex mystery, the more interesting part to me was it's relation to it's time period. It was published in 1941 and times were tumultuous. It's clear through the writing that there was a lot of fear and change in the air. There was a lot of talk of bringing down the old ways of doing things and the need for revolution. This story probably reflects the feeling of the times very well. It feels less cozy and warm than some of her other novels and that's probably why it's a four star rather than a five star book but she's still the queen and I'm happy to read any of her books anytime. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Sep 27, 2013 |
M. Poirot dreads his visits to the dentist, though he knows Mr. Morley to be an excellent dentist with a thriving practice. Morley is a dull man who leads a quiet life with his sister, so everyone is surprised when he commits suicide in his office just hours after Poirot's appointment. Poirot and Inspector Japp have a slew of suspects and motives right in Morley's waiting room.
This was a good one because it had some unusual aspects: Poirot fears something (dentists), gets chewed out by another character and experiences real self-doubt as to his detecting abilities. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 11, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
One, two, buckle my shoe,
Three, four, shut the door,
Five, six, pick up sticks,
Seven, eight, lay them straight,
Nine, ten, a good fat hen,
Eleven, twelve, men must delve,
Thirteen, fourteen, Maids are courting,
Fifteen, sixteen, Maids in the kitchen,
Seventeen, eighteen, Maid in waiting,
Nineteen, twenty, my plate's empty....
To Dorothy North
who likes detective stories and cream,
in the hope it may make up to her for
the absence of the latter!
Mr. Morley was not in the best of tempers at breakfast.
Hercule Poirot said to himself, with astonishment in the thought, "Is it possible that I am growing old?"
aka An Overdose of Death / The Patriotic Murders

It was shortly after 12:30 appointment that Dr. Morley was found with a bullet through his right temple. the gun was on the floor beside him. The authorities were satisfied that the amiable old dentist had shot himself. Hercule Poirot was not. But who could have murdered him? One of Dr. Morley's glamorous patients? His hard-drinking partner? His secretary's disgruntled boyfriend? All Poirot has is a hung, too many clues, and a killer who will not be satisfied with only one victim.
-----------------
Japp led the way down the passage and Poirot followed him. His nose wrinkled.
"Not nice," said Japp. "But what can you expect? She's been well over a month."
The room they went into was a small lumber and box room. in the middle of it was a big metal chest of the kind used for storing furs. the lie was open.
Poirot stepped forward and looked inside
He saw the foot first...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425105709, Mass Market Paperback)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe it when a dentist allegedly commits suicide--especially after drilling the doctor's patients, partners, and friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

Hercule Poirot doesn't believe the amiable old dentist shot himself. He has too many clues and a killer who is not satisified with one victim.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible