Invincible: Family Matters v. 1 by Robert…

Invincible: Family Matters v. 1 (edition 2007)

by Robert Kirkman

Mark Grayson is just like most everyone else his age. He's a senior at anormal American high School. He has a crappy part time job after school and onweekends. He likes girls quite a bit... but doesn't quite understand them. Heenjoys hanging out with his friends, and sleeping late on Saturdays... at leastuntil the good cartoons come on. The only difference between Mark and everyone else is that his father is themost powerful superhero on the planet, and as of late, he seems to be inheritinghis father's powers. Strange things begin to happen to Mark Grayson as he begins to developsuperpowers. Luckily, his dad is around to show him the ropes, at least hewould be if he weren't so busy saving the world all the time.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Invincible: Family Matters v. 1
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Info:Image Comics (2007), Paperback, 120 pages

Invincible, Volume 01: Family Matters by Robert Kirkman

I wasn't really into this. I thought the writing was really cheesy. ( )
  paperbuildings | Jan 20, 2019 |
It was more of a 3.5 out of 5. I got it for kindle for free from amazon and read it in about 20 minutes. I only picked it up (so to speak) because it was by Robert Kirkman, it was alright. It's about a kid in high school named Mark and his father is a superhero and he's just getting his powers. He takes down a few bad guys, checks out a suit. Everything you would expect from a superhero comic. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
Mark Grayson is a regular high school student, except his father is the most powerful superhero on earth and Mark is starting to develop powers of his own. This was a lot of fun; the characters are believable and the humor is great. The storyline is mainly Origin story, but it's evident that the potential is there for a fantastic series. The art is fitting for the story of a teenager superhero as well. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 7, 2017 |
This was a reread for me, but it had been awhile since I'd read this and the mood struck me. I enjoyed this just as much this time as I had the first time around. I've tried Kirkman's other works, The Walking Dead, Outcast, and Haunt and they all fell flat for me, and to be honest, I'd forgotten that Kirkman had written this too, so I guess it's just his horror titles that I don't like. I thoroughly enjoy the family dynamic in Invincible, with Markus Grayson and his mom, Deborah, fully embracing knowing his dad, Nolan, is the superhero Omni-Man. When Markus' powers manifest, he decides to join his dad in crime fighting as Invincible. I think I like Deborah most of all, as her matter of fact acceptance of the danger her husband and son face on a daily basis hides the concern she actual feels for her family.

This is a quick introduction to the core and supporting cast, and the actual superhero aspect of the story is really just the backdrop to Markus' family and him discovering his powers and how he is learning to balance them with high school. I really liked the minimal line art and color palette used; it's marks a stark contrast from other superhero books and their hyper detail and layered color effects, which I think is the point. This book is a superhero book, but it's different from the rest. I'll definitely be continuing with this series. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 20, 2017 |
It's superhero usual stuff, but I quite liked it. ( )
  ardvisoor | Oct 4, 2016 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crabtree, BillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Walker, CoryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Busiek, KurtIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Y'know, you really ruined my afternoon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,720,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible