Sleeping in the Ground: An Inspector Banks…

Sleeping in the Ground: An Inspector Banks Novel (Inspector Banks Novels… (edition 2017)

by Peter Robinson (Author)

Member:francesanngray
Title:Sleeping in the Ground: An Inspector Banks Novel (Inspector Banks Novels Book 24)
Authors:Peter Robinson (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), Edition: Reprint, 386 pages
Tags:crime fiction, Inspector Banks

Sleeping in the Ground by Peter Robinson

I am trying to read through the Alan Banks series, and I find the Peter Robinson’s writing skills have improved. I love the discourse into music and would love a guide to all Alan Banks’ music. I would enjoy listening and seeing if the music moves me as Peter Robinson suggests. Peter Robinson does a wonderful job with characters and setting. I feel the scenery and the emotions of the characters. My biggest criticism is that every woman falls for Alan. In this book, we learn about Alan’s first love and her current death from cancer. Many other women, both young and old, swarm about Alan in hopes of winning his attention. I feel that Peter Robinson misses a little on human nature with all relationships being warm and fuzzy. ( )
  delphimo | Feb 17, 2019 |
This book was good. I thought I would be a bit lost because it’s part of a large series. I was not lost and the characters were good. ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Dec 18, 2018 |
Detective Superintendent Alan Banks has long since stopped smoking, still drinksÛÓbut usually not to excess--and spends a great deal of time alone, listening to a variety of songs that he loves. He is not seeing anyone romantically, although a former friend and forensic psychologist, Jenny Fuller, is back in England, and has agreed to help the police with their inquiries. DI Annie Cabbot, once Banks's lover, is now a valued colleague, but nothing more, and Alan occasionally spends time with a poet, Linda Palmer, who is helping him appreciate the beauty of well-written verse.

Banks's latest case is horrifying. A massacre took place on what should have been a glorious wedding day in a picturesque country church. From his hiding place, a sniper opens fire on a bride, groom, and their guests. Who would commit such a heinous deed, turning what should have been a joyous occasion into a bloodbath? Banks, along with Cabbot, DC Gerry Masterson, DC Doug Wilson, and their colleagues, look into the background of everyone involved, and they soon identify a likely perpetrator. However, subsequent developments convince the detectives that the solution to this crime is complex and may have its roots in the distant past.

"Sleeping in the Ground," by Peter Robinson, is a character-driven and leisurely-paced mystery. We get to see more of Ray Cabbot, Annie's bohemian father and a gifted artist. Ray is house hunting, and gratefully accepts Banks's offer to stay with him for a short while. In addition, DC Masterson plays a key role in the inquiry, proving her worth as an insightful sleuth with a bright future ahead of her. Unfortunately, too much time is spent on the minutiae of people eating, drinking, chatting, enjoying music, and picking one another's brains, which slows the action down considerably. On the plus side, Robinson, who has always had a keen eye for setting, evocatively describes the Yorkshire dales in winter. When the weather is fine, the scenery is breathtaking, but everything changes when torrential rains batter cars and homes and flood the roads. The author, who writes with compassion and sensitivity, demonstrates that anger, regret, guilt, and loneliness can poison one's mind, and that, decades after they occurred, certain unforgettable events still retain their power to wound us deeply. ( )
  booklover915 | Oct 9, 2018 |
I like these--the characters seem real, the surprises not too forced (aside from a moment near the end, but I'll forgive it)--and, without being "cosy," they aren't brutal, unpleasant books (I don't get far toward finishing those--tried a James Patterson once--"Woman's Murder Club" sounded enticing--and then he gunned down a baby in the opening chapter, so nope, not going to read that.)

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Best yet ( )
  ibkennedy | Jun 28, 2018 |
Dedicated to the memory of my father

Clifford Robinson

31st December, 1923-27th May, 2016
If the incident had been a scene in a film, it would have looked beautiful.

At the doors of a charming country church, an unspeakable act destroys a wedding party. A huge manhunt ensues. The culprit is captured. The story is over. Except it isn't. For Alan Banks, there is something unresolved about this case. Reteaming with profiler Jenny Fuller, the detective digs deeper into the crime, deep enough to unearth long-buried secrets that reshape everything Banks though he knew about the events outside the chapel. When the last shocking truth becomes clear, it's almost too late.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible