Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in…

Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2031657,794 (4.29)22

English (14)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (16)
This is just absolutely beautiful! If I had any quibble, it would be that somewhere in it should be the line that boys should be brought up this way, too.

I see that some reviews have complained that this says nothing new. Well, no. We still face the same old problems. This is a short, accessable 'manifesto' for trying to do something for the next generation. This kind of parenting advice could be revolutionary if enough parents read it. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Aug 12, 2017 |
Readathon read. Review to come. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
One of the most solid parenting pieces I have ever encountered. Listened to this in 40 minutes while I ate lunch. (It's an hour long, I listened at 1.25 speed.) Time very well spent. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 16, 2017 |
This is now officially my "thing to give everyone I know for their baby shower". Fantastic. ( )
1 vote NeedMoreShelves | Jun 27, 2017 |
Loved this book. How wonderful it is, how educational and how enlightening to read something like this. It helped me realize my own shortcomings as a feminist and how I will hopefully overcome these things and improve.

It's definitely another must-read by Ms. Adichie. ( )
1 vote lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
For Uju Egonu./ And for my baby sis, Ogechukwu Ikemelu./ With so much love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 152473313X, Hardcover)

From the best-selling author of Americanah and We Should All Be Feminists comes a powerful new statement about feminism today--written as a letter to a friend.

A few years ago, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie received a letter from a dear friend from childhood, asking her how to raise her baby girl as a feminist. Dear Ijeawele is Adichie's letter of response.
     Here are fifteen invaluable suggestions--compelling, direct, wryly funny, and perceptive--for how to empower a daughter to become a strong, independent woman. From encouraging her to choose a helicopter, and not only a doll, as a toy if she so desires; having open conversations with her about clothes, makeup, and sexuality; debunking the myth that women are somehow biologically arranged to be in the kitchen making dinner, and that men can "allow" women to have full careers, Dear Ijeawele goes right to the heart of sexual politics in the twenty-first century. It will start a new and urgently needed conversation about what it really means to be a woman today.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:17:52 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible