Startup: A Novel by Doree Shafrir

Startup: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Doree Shafrir (Author)

Member:carpentercarse
Title:Startup: A Novel
Authors:Doree Shafrir (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2017), 304 pages

Startup: A Novel by Doree Shafrir

This was not a typical genre or even generation for me, but I really enjoyed this satirical portrait of millennials negotiating the startup culture of today's tech world. Shafrir gives a great snapshot (no pun intended) of what is becoming our social media driven society.

Her biting wit resulted in me smiling a lot as I read....especially at some of the made up (or maybe not so fictional) apps being created. What struck me is that despite the changing culture of the workplace as technology becomes a driving force, some things like the role of women and workplace relationships haven't changed all that much.

The ending is somewhat abrupt and enigmatic....but perhaps it is reflective of the environment about which Shafrir writes. Enjoy this book for the satire it is and marvel at what we are becoming in our tech savvy world. ( )
  vkmarco | Apr 22, 2017 |
I liked this book a lot. There were a lot of chuckles. There were women getting even (YAY!!). And, it was a great read. I whipped right through it very pleasantly.

The ending, however, just kind of dropped off. Leading me to hope (fingers crossed) that there will be a sequel. I would definitely read it. I NEED to know what happens to Mack and is there any retaliation for Sabrina's husband? What a snake!

Now I know my review has got you interested in this read. Ha! Seriously, it is an entertaining, enjoyable and hilarious read.

Thanks to Little, Brown and Company for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Mar 25, 2017 |
Doree Shafrir's breakout novel is witty, satirical, and just a little too real and uncomfortable in places. This amazingly funny look at startup culture in New York illustrates the stereotypical conceptions of twenty-somethings making their millions while turning a spotlight on the very real issues of women (of all ages and sentiments) navigating a male dominated industry.

Shafrir tackles issues like inter-office dating, sexual harassment, sexual coercion, and being a woman in her thirties (gasp!) in the millenials' world. It is a fun, face paced story that perfectly balances satire and real world issues.

I highly recommend it. ( )
  MeganWhobrey | Jan 31, 2017 |

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--Vulture, The Millions, Nylon, and Book Riot's "All the Books" Podcast

From veteran online journalist and BuzzFeed writer Doree Shafrir comes a hilarious debut novel that proves there are some dilemmas that no app can solve.

Mack McAllister has a $600 million dollar idea. His mindfulness app, TakeOff, is already the hottest thing in tech and he's about to launch a new and improved version that promises to bring investors running and may turn his brainchild into a $1 billion dollar business--in startup parlance, an elusive unicorn.

Katya Pasternack is hungry for a scoop that will drive traffic. An ambitious young journalist at a gossipy tech blog, Katya knows that she needs more than another PR friendly puff piece to make her the go-to byline for industry news.

Sabrina Choe Blum just wants to stay afloat. The exhausted mother of two and failed creative writer is trying to escape from her credit card debt and an inattentive husband-who also happens to be Katya's boss-as she rejoins a work force that has gotten younger, hipper, and much more computer literate since she's been away.

Before the ink on Mack's latest round of funding is dry, an errant text message hints that he may be working a bit too closely for comfort with a young social media manager in his office. When Mack's bad behavior collides with Katya's search for a salacious post, Sabrina gets caught in the middle as TakeOff goes viral for all the wrong reasons. As the fallout from Mack's scandal engulfs the lower Manhattan office building where all three work, it's up to Katya and Sabrina to write the story the men in their lives would prefer remain untold.

An assured, observant debut from the veteran online journalist Doree Shafrir, Startup is a sharp, hugely entertaining story of youth, ambition, love, money and technology's inability to hack human nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:23:34 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,354,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible