Smiley's People by John le Carré

Smiley's People (edition 2009)

by John le Carré

Member:djashley
Title:Smiley's People
Authors:John le Carré
Info:Sceptre (2009), Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***

Smiley's People by John le Carré

English (26)  Spanish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (30)
What is so exhilarating and fulfilling about reading le Carré is the sense of genuine intelligence at play, both in the characters and in the author. There are different ways of trying to convey great cleverness in a literary character: one approach is to give them superhuman deductive skills à la Sherlock Holmes, you know – I perceive, sir, that you have recently returned from a hunting excursion in Wiltshire and that your wife's tennis partner owns a dachshund called Gerald — But my dear fellow, how could you possibly?! — Quite elementary; the leaf that adheres to your left boot-sole is unmistakably from a holm oak, one of the rarest English trees, a fine specimen of which grows outside Wiltshire's best-frequented hunting lodge; you may perhaps have glanced at my recent monograph on the subject in the Evening Post which proved so useful in the recent unpleasantness concerning the Prince-Bishop of Montenegro…

And so on. Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff – but it's a game, it's amusing, it's manifestly nonsense. The thrill of what le Carré does in the Karla trilogy – and I don't believe anyone does it better – is of a completely different order. You believe it: the leaps of intuition are logical and motivated, and just slightly out of your reach, so that you constantly feel both flattered to be keeping up and somewhat awestruck at how they always make the connections a bit faster than you do. It's rather like how I feel when I play through top-level chess games, the sense that you can just about follow why they're doing what they're doing; the deceptive conviction, as you watch an unexpected rook sacrifice, that it all makes perfect sense and that you would undoubtedly have thought of the same move yourself.

This is hard to do as a writer. Because writers are often not that smart, even when they're talented. Le Carré writes as though he's smarter than all his readers, and when I read him I'm convinced. The thrills in these books come not from action sequences, but from the plausibility of the dialogue: I was more on edge during Smiley's calm ‘interrogation’ of Toby Esterhase here than I've been in any number of car chase or bomb-defusion scenes. What to say next? How to press them in exactly the right way, without scaring them off?

In a sense this book is composed simply of a number of these intense, magesterially-written duologues stacked together, a stichomythic layer-cake: Smiley and Lacon, Smiley and Mikhel, Smiley and Esterhase, Smiley and Connie, Smiley and Grigoriev, Smiley and Alexandra…and always, at the end, the prospect of somehow reaching the the endgame conversation, between Smiley and Karla. (It would be quiet and undramatic, and fascinating.) But then again, the whole trilogy is that conversation being played out.

These dialogues are stitched together with a prose style that is economical and unclichéd. The plot is thick and chewy and le Carré does not cheat with his exposition. Perhaps overall [book:The Honourable Schoolboy|18990] was my favourite – I just love the oblique portrayal of foreign reporting – but this is a stupendous end to a brilliant trilogy. A lot of books are clever – ‘oh that's clever,’ you might say after a literary trick or a narrative sleight-of-hand. These books are intelligent. That's rare enough in fiction as it is, and the fact that it comes in so-called genre fiction just shows how distracting such ghettos can be. ( )
  Widsith | Jul 23, 2014 |
A very mixed bag. The hyper-reality that the young man experiences while making the drop is written very well. The sodden emotionalism is poor. Karla is finally captured because of his "love" for a daughter with whom he has barely ever interacted. Emotions and principles are arbitrary counters in this well-written let-down. The two principle women, Ann and Connie, are preposterous and irritating. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 1, 2014 |
Much better than the Honourable Schoolboy, but let down by the ending and Karla's weakness which doesn't seem that comprimising. ( )
  BrianHostad | Sep 19, 2013 |
While more satisfying than [b:The Honourable Schoolboy|18990|The Honourable Schoolboy|John le Carré|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167175744s/18990.jpg|79986], it just didn't quite hold the same engagement that the first of the Karla trilogy garnered from me. The ethical questions are fascinating and the ending is heartbreakingly ambiguous - but the book as a whole felt somewhat underwritten, less-than-full. It was a fitting ending for Smiley's story with Karla but at the same time it was frustratingly empty. For the ethics, it shows the master for what he is... but it isn't the most engaging or exciting of novels, even when the tension ratchets up.

Modest ramblings continue here: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-jm ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
Describing le Carré’s Smiley novels as being in the spy genre is rather misleading as it’s too narrow. While the spy element nicely drives the plot, I think the main interest lies in the characterisation, something le Carré is able to develop because of the measured pace. Of course, getting the balance right here is quite a challenge and sometimes I felt this novel faltered a little but, by and large, the author gets it pretty much just right.

The troubled and defeated Smiley is of course the most interesting character, someone who has not only lost his wife to her innumerable affairs but also lost her to his best friend as a result of being outsmarted by Karla, his main opponent in his life as a spy. In other words his defeat is amplified, with neither the professional nor personal life able to offer any refuge but rather to magnify the extent of his loss. Despite this or even because of it, the reader readily becomes attached to George, not that le Carré ever calls him this, I noticed. He’s always Smiley with the author carefully keeping him likeable but avoiding the sentimental attachment which would come with the use of his first name although he has other characters, of course, addressing him as George, often with respect and affection, thereby leading the reader’s opinion of him. ‘Smiley’ as a surname was no doubt equally carefully chosen having nuances of someone positive even though this character rarely (if ever?) smiles. That Smiley perseveres and cares so much for his rejected émigrés in this novel also makes him the one we side with, the real culprits being not so much the assassinating Soviets but the lapdogs who’ve taken over from Smiley. In Chapter 20 le Carré actually sums up the complexity of his protagonist as ‘hunter, recluse, lover, solitary man in search of completion, shrewd player of the Great Game, avenger, doubter in search of reassurance – Smiley was by turns each one of them, and sometimes more than one’.

While Saul Enderby may be a bit of a caricature, we’re still very much given someone we can recognise, the career professional interested in his own advancement and therefore not rocking the boat. His callous treatment of Sam Collins is amusing, openly telling him he’s fawning and then telling him to offer Smiley a drink instead of offering it directly himself – ‘Sam, ask him what h wants to drink’ thereby insulting with his arrogance both Smiley and Sam.

What is also appealing is the breadth of the focus. When he has Smiley think about the modern Hamburg compared with the pre-bombed ‘rich and graceful shipping town’, he could be thinking about any modern city ‘hurtling into the anonymity of canned music, high-rise concrete and smoked glass’. It’s this sort of observation of contemporary life that makes le Carré’s novels go beyond their genre. Added to that le Carré doesn’t dumb things down for the reader. It’s true at one stage towards the end he has Enderby sum up the situation as a form of recap for the reader but, apart from using a wide range of vocabulary (including words like ‘imprest’ which you don’t see often), he introduces phrases which quite a few readers (including myself) didn’t know like ‘flucht nach vorn’ with an interesting explanation afterwards.

All in all, then, I think this novel works on a number of levels which put together, hold the reader’s interest. ( )
  evening | Apr 13, 2013 |
In "Smiley's People," Smiley works both worlds, is both detective and agent at risk. I won"t disclose the oblique, slow-moving plot, except to say that a trail of murder and camouflage leads Smiley to Hamburg and Paris and Berne, and that the stakes are especially high for him, since his old archenemy, the daunting mastermind in charge of the Thirteenth Directorate of Russian Intelligence, appears to have made an uncharacteristic slip. Smiley's boss in London jokingly refers to Holmes and Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls, but even Smiley himself hears "the drum-beat of his own past, summoning him to one last effort to externalise and resolve the conflict he had lived by." That's a touch too literary, sounding more like le Carré's problem than Smiley's, and Smiley's next image catches a little more of the case: "It was just possible, against all the odds, that he had been given, in late age, a chance to return to the rained-out contests of his life and play them after all."
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Michael Wood (Jul 20, 1980)

John le Carréprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
González Trejo, HoracioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soellner, HeddaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soellner, RolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sons, Simon, Stephen, Timothy and Nicholas,
with love

Two seemingly unconnected events heralded the summons of Mr George Smiley from his dubious retirement.

John le Carre's classic novels deftly navigate readers through the intricate shadow worlds of international espionage with unsurpassed skill and knowledge and have earned him -- and his hero, British Secret Service agent George Smiley -- unprecedented worldwide acclaim.

Rounding off his astonishing vision of a clandestine world, master storyteller le Carre perfects his art in "Smiley's People."

In London at dead of night, George Smiley, sometime acting Chief of the Circus (aka the British Secret Service), is summoned from his lonely bed by news of the murder of an ex-agent. Lured back to active service, Smiley skillfully maneuvers his people -- "the no-men of no-man's land" -- into crisscrossing Paris, London, Germany, and Switzerland as he prepares for his own final, inevitable duel on the Berlin border with his Soviet counterpart and archenemy, Karla.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:49 -0400)

George Smiley and Karla, his mortal enemy, have a final confrontation in the Soviet Union.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,297,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible