Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero

Meddling Kids

by Edgar Cantero

Recently added byprivate library, obsessedbybooks, stgemma, moranmc, rena75, AHS-Wolfy, alaskayo

DNFing @ 18% because the author kept referring to a character as “the hermaphrodite” 😒
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
Had high hopes.
"1990. The teen detectives once known as the Blyton Summer Detective Club (of Blyton Hills, a small mining town in the Zoinx River Valley in Oregon) are all grown up and haven't seen each other since their fateful, final case in 1977. Andy, the tomboy, is twenty-five and on the run, wanted in at least two states. Kerri, one-time kid genius and budding biologist, is bartending in New York, working on a serious drinking problem. At least she's got Tim, an excitable Weimaraner descended from the original canine member of the team. Nate, the horror nerd, has spent the last thirteen years in and out of mental health institutions, and currently resides in an asylum in Arhkam, Massachusetts. The only friend he still sees is Peter, the handsome jock turned movie star. The problem is, Peter's been dead for years.
The time has come to uncover the source of their nightmares and return to where it all began in 1977. This time, it better not be a man in a mask. The real monsters are waiting."
Ugh this book was SO slow! 😩 The writing style of this book was fine but other than that I feel that the plot was very poorly executed for the potential that it had in being a Scooby-Doo rip off. Let's all just call it what it really is here...
The nostalgia was great, the homages were funny, all in all the book was mildly entertaining. I also feel that this book was far too long for the story that it had to tell which could have been why it seemed like it was dragging so much. I just felt like I never got to the point of the darn book.
The cover is beautiful but unfortunately in my case was very misleading as I did not enjoy the book as much as I thought that I would have. Perhaps I had too high of hopes for this book. Or maybe I've just outgrown Scooby-Doo.
I would recommend this book for the nostalgia purposes but that's just about it. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Nov 20, 2018 |
It was just okay...hense the 3 stars. I found the entire concept of kids 11-13...and a dog...let's not forget the dog...solving a crime a bit hard to work into any concept of reality. I actually expected Scooby-Doo to materialize at any moment. Then thirteen years later as adults, one of the kid detectives decides that their solution was wrong so they all need to reconnect and correct it. I can't find fault with the writing. It was well written although a bit too descriptive. If you are satisfied with a a little mystery with your mysteries then you will probably really like this one. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 14, 2018 |
This is a very tongue-in-cheek self-aware mish-mash of genres that I love, starting with teen detectives and finishing with Cthulhu type mythos. As well as commentary on the many genres it tromps across, there are numerous meta-textual references to the way that stories are pulled together, the way that scenes are shot, and the art of fiction.

Although the three protagonists are the surviving members of the 'Blyton Hills Summer Detective Club', they are much more Scooby Doo than they are Famous Five, even though the author has gone to some lengths to try and throw in references to the latter. They are each of them damaged by their early experience, with one alcoholic, one criminal, and one insane. The fourth human member of their group committed suicide prior to the start of this story, but it is repeatedly referenced, and he manages to play an important part in much of the story. ( )
  fred_mouse | Nov 8, 2018 |
"Holy Satan's crotch."

This book was a bumpy ride. At times I was thinking about just giving up on it. But, I'm glad I pulled through and finished it. It was a good story, the writing style was very..odd. I think that was the main reason I had trouble keeping up with it. It would switch from first person, to third person, and even at times going to a screenplay style. It would kind of pull you out of the story at first. But, once you get used to it, Meddling Kids was a fun read. Definitely give it a chance! ( )
  AGladle131 | Oct 24, 2018 |

Edgar Canteroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garcia, KylaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It starts when you pull the lamp chain and light doesn't come.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385541996, Hardcover)

For fans of John Dies at the End and Welcome to Night Vale comes a tour de force of horror, humor, and H.P. Lovecraft. The surviving members of a forgotten teenage detective club (and their dog) must reunite as broken adults to finally solve the terrifying case that ruined them all…and sent the wrong man to prison. Scooby Doo and the gang never had to do this!

1990. The teen detectives once known as the Blyton Summer Detective Club (of Blyton Hills, a small mining town in the Zoinx River Valley in Oregon) are all grown up and haven’t seen each other since their fateful, final case in 1977. Andy, the tomboy, is twenty-five and on the run, wanted in at least two states. Keri, one-time kid genius and budding biologist, is bartending in New York, working on a serious drinking problem. At least she’s got Sean, an excitable Weimeraner descended from the original canine member of the team. Nate, the horror nerd, has spent the last thirteen years in and out of mental health institutions, and currently resides in an asylum in Arhkam, Massachusetts. The only friend he still sees is Peter, the handsome jock turned movie star. The problem is, Peter’s been dead for years.
     With raucous humor and brilliantly orchestrated mayhem, Edgar Cantero’s Meddling Kids taps into our shared nostalgia for the books and cartoons we grew up with, and delivers an exuberant, eclectic, and highly entertaining celebration of horror, life, friendship, and many-tentacled, interdimensional demon spawn.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:35:28 -0500)

SUMMER 1977. The Blyton Summer Detective Club (of Blyton Hills, a small mining town in Oregon's Zoinx River Valley) solved their final mystery and unmasked the elusive Sleepy Lake monster--another low-life fortune hunter trying to get his dirty hands on the legendary riches hidden in Debo?en Mansion. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids. 1990. The former detectives have grown up and apart, each haunted by disturbing memories of their final night in the old haunted house. There are too many strange, half-remembered encounters and events that cannot be dismissed or explained away by a guy in a mask. And Andy, the once intrepid tomboy now wanted in two states, is tired of running from her demons. She needs answers. To find them she will need Kerri, the one-time kid genius and budding biologist, now drinking her ghosts away in New York with Tim, an excitable Weimaraner descended from the original canine member of the club. They will also have to get Nate, the horror nerd currently residing in an asylum in Arkham, Massachusetts. Luckily Nate has not lost contact with Peter, the handsome jock turned movie star who was once their team leader . . . which is remarkable, considering Peter has been dead for years. The time has come to get the team back together, face their fears, and find out what actually happened all those years ago at Sleepy Lake. It's their only chance to end the nightmares and, perhaps, save the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,652,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible