The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

The Alice Network (2017)

by Kate Quinn

1,301819,136 (4)83

I could go on and on about this book.... it is that good! I listened to it on audio. I wish that I had physically read it because there were a lot of French names of people and places that I kind of glazed over so I do think I missed a few details. I almost lost interest in the middle part but kept on going, and the rest of the story was so amazing I forgot that the middle was a bit fluffy. The characters are so real and lovable, I felt like I knew them by the end of the story. Amazing WWII historical fiction. ( )
  kathdob | Mar 19, 2019 |
Decent premise. Engaging plot. Awful, cardboard, annoying characters. Also, at least 100 pages longer than it needed to be. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
The story and writing was good but the narration by Saskia Maarleveld was a marvel. The switch between 4 different accents (American, English, Scottish and French) - not to mention genders and ages - was breathtakingly good. It was a refreshing twist on the World War spy novel with some feminism and romance as well. If all books were at least this good, the world would be a happy place. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Feb 21, 2019 |
Historical fiction about a women's spy network in WWI, and an American/English Girl post WWII who is looking for her French cousin. She finds Eve/Margaurite & her caretaker Scottish convict Finn & Eve reluctantly goes off with Charlie to see if they can find Rose. Heartbreaking tale that I listened to, would make a good bookclub book.
actually listened on audio via Hoopla ( )
  nancynova | Feb 10, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this one from the start (I missed my subway stop reading) to the finish (stayed up past my bedtime to complete). I liked the story, the characters, and the craft. It can be a burden shifting from one time-period to another--including an investment in new research! Quinn did an excellent job. ( )
  MarysGirl | Jan 24, 2019 |

Kate Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyons, ElsieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maarleveld, SaskiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,

the first reader, the first critic, the first fan

This is for you
The first person I met in England was a hallucination.
I remember my father exhaling contentedly over the newspapers after VE-Day, saying, "Excellent, now it can all go back to the way it was." As if roofs and buildings and shattered windows just leaped back into wholeness the day after peace was declared.

In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.

1947. In the chaotic aftermath of World War II, American college girl Charlie St. Clair is pregnant, unmarried, and on the verge of being thrown out of her very proper family. She's also nursing a desperate hope that her beloved cousin Rose, who disappeared in Nazi-occupied France during the war, might still be alive. So when Charlie's parents banish her to Europe to have her "little problem" taken care of, Charlie breaks free and heads to London, determined to find out what happened to the cousin she loves like a sister.

1915. A year into the Great War, Eve Gardiner burns to join the fight against the Germans and unexpectedly gets her chance when she's recruited to work as a spy. Sent into enemy-occupied France, she's trained by the mesmerizing Lili, the "Queen of Spies", who manages a vast network of secret agents right under the enemy's nose.

Thirty years later, haunted by the betrayal that ultimately tore apart the Alice Network, Eve spends her days drunk and secluded in her crumbling London house. Until a young American barges in uttering a name Eve hasn't heard in decades, and launches them both on a mission to find the truth...no matter where it leads.

“Both funny and heartbreaking, this epic journey of two courageous women is an unforgettable tale of little-known wartime glory and sacrifice. Quinn knocks it out of the park with this spectacular book!”—Stephanie Dray, New York Times bestselling author of America's First Daughter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 23 Jan 2017 22:12:05 -0500)

"It's 1947 and American college girl Charlie St. Clair is pregnant, unmarried, and on the verge of being thrown out of her very proper family. She's also nursing a fervent belief that her beloved French cousin Rose, who disappeared in Nazi-occupied France during the war, might still be alive somewhere. So when Charlie's family banishes her to Europe to have her "little problem" take care of, Charlie breaks free and heads to London determined to find out what happened to the cousin she loves like a sister. In 1915, Eve Gardiner burns to join the fight against the Germans and unexpectedly gets her chance to serve when she's recruited to work as a spy for the English. Sent into enemy-occupied France during The Great War, she's trained by the mesmerizing Lili, the "Queen of Spies", who manages a vast network of secret agents, right under the enemy's nose. Thirty years later, haunted by the betrayal that ultimately tore apart the Alice Network, Eve spends her days drunk and secluded in her crumbling London house. Until a young American barges in uttering a name Eve hasn't heard in decades, and launching them both on a mission to find the truth ... no matter where it leads"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate Quinn's book The Alice Network was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,497,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible