The Alice Network: A Novel by Kate Quinn

The Alice Network: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Kate Quinn (Author)

"It's 1947 and American college girl Charlie St. Clair is pregnant, unmarried, and on the verge of being thrown out of her very proper family. She's also nursing a fervent belief that her beloved French cousin Rose, who disappeared in Nazi-occupied France during the war, might still be alive somewhere. So when Charlie's family banishes her to Europe to have her "little problem" take care of, Charlie breaks free and heads to London determined to find out what happened to the cousin she loves like a sister. In 1915, Eve Gardiner burns to join the fight against the Germans and unexpectedly gets her chance to serve when she's recruited to work as a spy for the English. Sent into enemy-occupied France during The Great War, she's trained by the mesmerizing Lili, the "Queen of Spies", who manages a vast network of secret agents, right under the enemy's nose. Thirty years later, haunted by the betrayal that ultimately tore apart the Alice Network, Eve spends her days drunk and secluded in her crumbling London house. Until a young American barges in uttering a name Eve hasn't heard in decades, and launching them both on a mission to find the truth ...no matter where it leads"--… (more)
Member:jilld17
Title:The Alice Network: A Novel
Authors:Kate Quinn (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2017), Edition: First Edition, 560 pages
Rating:***

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

English (104)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (105)
“What did it matter if something scared you, when it simply had to be done?” ~Kate Quinn, The Alice Network

How does one describe a novel that has consumed my thoughts even during the moments in-between the time when I could open the book to continue reading? Riveting, moving, encompassing, emotional.

“There are two kinds of flowers when it comes to women,” Eve said. “The kind that sit safe in a beautiful vase, or the kind that survive in any conditions . . . even in evil.” ~Kate Quinn, The Alice Network

And youth of today wonder why we call them "The Greatest Generation." What is the The Greatest Generation? The Greatest Generation is a term used to describe those who grew up during the Great Depression and fought World War II, or whose labor helped win it. The term is used for those from the United States but by their sacrifice and with their courage, I believe it applies to all men and women in all countries who gave of themselves by helping in any way possible to resist and fight against evil. We are indebted forever to these brave men and women.
  Corduroy7 | Nov 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to LibraryThing and William Morrow for the free copy of The Alice Network to read and review. The opinions given are mine and mine alone. I read this book earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I am a sucker for a good historical fiction and I felt like this one was a step above. The characters were absolutely well rounded and real and I was fully engaged until the very last page. I enjoyed that this book was not only about WWII, but also WWI (which I don't seem to see as much of). The story is told in dual timelines fluctuating between 1915 and 1947. I thought the author did a great job in toggling between these two eras. I was fascinated by both timelines and enjoyed the suspense, intrigue and heartwarming (and heartbreaking) stories that came to life. I definitely would recommend this book and look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Detrick | Oct 8, 2019 |
Interesting WWI and WWII story about female spies. I enjoyed the story and history but found the story lines of the main characters very predictable. ( )
  andsoitgoes | Oct 1, 2019 |
Moving back and forth in time between WWI and just after WWII, the Alice Network tells of Eve's experiences as a spy in German-occupied France and Charlie's enlistment of Eve's help to find her cousin Rose who went missing during the second war. Eve was damaged physically, mentally and emotionally by performing her loyal service to her country and is consumed by desire for revenge against the man who did most of the damage. Charlie is also trying to figure out who she is as a woman during a time that's willing to allow women a little more agency than when Eve was young, but not much.
The novel is also moderately historically accurate in it's portrayal of the exploits of two real-life female spies, Louise de Bettignies a.k.a Alice DuBois and Marie-Léonie Vanhoutte, a.k.a. Charlotte Lameron.
I very much enjoyed reading about these remarkable women and learning more about the time period. My book club found it very engaging as well. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 29, 2019 |
Two stories entwined. I loved Eve’s WWI strand of the story but. The 1947 story of Charlie’s got annoying after a while. I wanted more info on the Alice Network. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |

Kate Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyons, ElsieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maarleveld, SaskiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,

the first reader, the first critic, the first fan

This is for you
The first person I met in England was a hallucination.
I remember my father exhaling contentedly over the newspapers after VE-Day, saying, "Excellent, now it can all go back to the way it was." As if roofs and buildings and shattered windows just leaped back into wholeness the day after peace was declared.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate Quinn's book The Alice Network was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,189,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible