The Devil and Webster by Jean Hanff Korelitz

The Devil and Webster

by Jean Hanff Korelitz

The Devil and Webster, by Jean Hanff Korelitz. This new novel brings some of the most hot-button issues on today’s college campuses into the forefront. Webster College, a once conservative school, is now known for producing fired-up, progressive graduates. Its first female president and former activist, Naomi Roth, is very proud of this until the beginning of the new fall semester when students begin a protest rally for a popular professor’s denial of tenure - which turns out to be led by a charismatic Palestinian student with a devastating personal history. As the crisis slips beyond her control, she must take increasingly desperate measures to protect her friends, colleagues, and family. This riveting novel touches on some of the most topical and controversial concerns at the heart of our society. It examines the fragility that lies behind who we think we are and what we thing we believe. Book club discussion groups take note!
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Sep 22, 2017 |
Always fun to see the left eat its own, whether in fact of fiction. Much more could have been revealed about the activists wrong doing. They undoubdtedly wrote "nigger" in in the dorm basement. and set off the bomb in the president's office. ( )
  velopunk | May 22, 2017 |
Hurrah to a female college president in "The Devil and Webster". Her name is Naomi Roth. Along with this one position, she also holds other administrative jobs. President Roth is also the mother to Hannah Roth. The name of the college campus is Webster. At this point in time, the students are showing their activist spirit.

When students protest the actions of a college, Its professors and other higher up personnel must have eyes open and brain alert. This prestigious college in Massachusetts must not alarm parents, the surrounding community or any other colleges whether far or near with their raging desires. While keeping this balance, their ideals become the wishes of the president of the college to help fulfill, make welcome, whether she feels the same way or not.

I began to appreciate the presidents of student bodies whom I have never met while reading about the fictionalized Webster. Diversity in the student body like Native Americans and Omar Khayal, a Palestinian, and an African American student like Elise are only a few of the students who want to see tenure come to pass for a professor.

There is a feeling of expectancy. Will the campus remain at peace, or will chaos erupt? Since I am a Baby Boomer, my mind kept thinking of Kent State and other college situations during that period.
Whatever happens I know that a college campus is like an iceberg. There is much going on above the waters and far more going on under the ocean. There is a surety. Each person is important. Throw class aside. ( )
  Topazshell | Apr 22, 2017 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of You Should Have Known and Admission, a twisty new novel about a college president, a baffling student protest, and some of the most hot-button issues on today's college campuses. Naomi Roth is the first female president of Webster College, a once conservative school now known for producing fired-up, progressive graduates. So Naomi isn't surprised or unduly alarmed when Webster students begin the fall semester with an outdoor encampment around "The Stump"-a traditional campus gathering place for generations of student activists-to protest a popular professor's denial of tenure. A former student radical herself, Naomi admires the protestors' passion, especially when her own daughter, Hannah, joins their ranks. Then Omar Khayal, a charismatic Palestinian student with a devastating personal history, emerges as the group's leader, and the demonstration begins to consume Naomi's life, destabilizing Webster College from the inside out. As the crisis slips beyond her control, Naomi must take increasingly desperate measures to protect her friends, colleagues, and family from an unknowable adversary. Touching on some of the most topical and controversial concerns at the heart of our society, this riveting novel examines the fragility that lies behind who we think we are-and what we think we believe.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible