Spock's World by Diane Duane

Spock's World (1988)

by Diane Duane

920149,529 (4.02)9
    The Romulan Way by Diane Duane (Anonymous user)

English (13)  Italian (1)  All languages (14)
This is the only Star Trek tie-in novel I have read. I have never seen the original series or any of the spinoffs save the 2009 reboot. This probably disqualifies me completely to review it, given the rich, rich context from whence it sprang, but I'm gonna go ahead anyway.

Because [a:Diane Duane|11761|Diane Duane|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] is awesome, and this comes very close to standing on its own. I am not sure how close -- I have some small knowledge of the Star Trek-verse (very small), and I have been reading fanfiction for a good long while now, which requires skills in extrapolation and extension which I am sure I was using in reading this (without noticing). But I think I would have noticed infodumps, which this does not have, and I think I would have noticed any over-reliance on canon, which this almost doesn't have. The only point on which this book falls down on independence of story is its reliance on some event about a duel and an engagement and some chick named T'Pring, for backstory. I am missing nuance about that event, but it didn't ruin the experience for me.

This is a book by a young Duane, in which some of the flaws of the early Young Wizards books are even more glaring -- her love of science sometimes overwhelms her storytelling, and her use of jargon could have used a much heavier editing session (the early chapters on the creation of Vulcan, the planet, are 98% skippable unless you really like a cross of cosmology and Big Bang physics). The transitions between Vulcan chapters 4, 5, and 6 are just plain weird and abrupt.

But it is eminently readable, has some great character interactions -- and some great, incredibly *alien* aliens, creates a living, breathing culture for Starfleet which has only minimal misogyny in its bones, and is funny as hell. Would read again! ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
My favorite aspect of this glorious book is the worldbuilding. Read this before you visit Vulcan. ( )
  Rubygarnet | Mar 26, 2012 |
Interesting vignettes on Vulcan history. The "present-day" story is not nearly as compelling however. Duane is clearly a fan of McCoy, but his actions and conveniently-acquired skills were pretty unbelievable. ( )
  scholz | Apr 4, 2011 |
Star Trek book which moves back and forth between a storyline following debates on Vulcan in the 23rd century regarding whether they should secede from the Federation (the triumvirate are involved, natch) and a storyline which traces the history of Vulcan. May not sound terribly gripping, but Duane pulls it off by including a lot of humor and lightness in the debates storyline and solid characterization in the history bits. The resolution of the debates storyline is a tad anti-climactic, but as the point of the thing is the history of the Vulcan people, it's a forgivable flaw. ( )
  lycomayflower | Sep 28, 2009 |
Just utterly lovely, this one. Diane Duane's Star Trek novels are always good SF, as well as being good Star Trek, and they are very good examples of both. The plot of this one is rather leisurely and political, no phasers and no yelling, and beautifully subtle with it: Vulcan, or at least some elements of it, are considering secession from the Federation, and the usual suspects have to participate in the debates that will decide the matter. At the same time the author treats to an episodic history of Vulcan, key incidents in its history interspersed with the political main plot, and I think in other hands they would be self-indulgent and dull, whereas in hers, they are readable as are the chapters about the Enterprise crew.

Highlights include Bones learning Vulcan (the really hard way), Amanda introducing Sarek to the concept of jokes, the revelation that there are short redhead Vulcans, Spock and McCoy arguing about popcorn, and the return of Duane's own characters: K'tl's'k, the enormous glass arachnoid physicist, Moira the sentient computer, and Ensign Naraht, who is a living breathing rock and very self-effacing with it. This isn't her best novel - I'd say The Wounded Sky edges out just a tiny bit - but it's excellent, nevertheless. ( )
1 vote Raven | Jun 17, 2009 |
Ms. Duane's meld of ''history'' and ''Star Trek'' lore creates a narrative that readers unfamiliar with the legendary television show may find difficult to follow... Ultimately, ''Spock's World'' is an insular one; only a few million ''Star Trek'' fans will know or care what's going on.

Is contained in

The spear in the Other's heart
   is the spear in your own;
        you are he.

There is no other wisdom,
   and no other hope for us,
      but that we grow wise.

~ attributed to
      Surak of Vulcan
For
Kim and Nic Farey,
remembering U.F.P. Con 1986:

with thanks for the Klingon noisemaker that made me late for all those panels.
Prologue:

The joke in Starfleet is that the only thing that can travel faster than warp 10 is news.
Position yourself in the right place - on the surface of the moon, say, somewhere near the slow-moving dayline, or in one of the L5 habitats swinging in peaceful captivity around the world - and you can see it without trouble: the old Earth in the new Earth's arms.

7455.31
    "Whose Side Are You On?"

Spock looked at him, a steady gaze. "I have not yet decided," he said. "Logic must dictate my stance."

There was a long silence at this. "So after the debates," McCoy said, "come the votes. And if the vote is to stay in the Federation?"

"Then we go back on patrol," Jim said.

"And if Vulcan votes to secede?"

"Then all the trade and military agreements lapse.All Vulcan bases and vessels in Federation service will be withdrawn; all Vulcan diplomatic personnel, starships and starship personnel will be recalled." Spock said. "Those who disobey the order will be stripped of their Vulcan citizen status and exiled. The Federation will cease to exist for Vulcan."

Spock looked up, "You will be dead to us."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671667734, Mass Market Paperback)

It is the twenty-third century. On the planet Vulcan, a crisis of unprecedented proportion has caused the convocation of the planet's ruling council -- and summoned the U.S.S. Enterprise™ from halfway across the galaxy, to bring Vulcan's most famous son home in its hour of need.

As Commander Spock, his father Sarek, and Captain James T. Kirk struggle to preserve Vulcan's future, the planet's innermost secrets are laid before us, from its beginnings millions of years ago to its savage prehistory, from merciless tribal warfare to medieval court intrigue, from the exploration of space to the the development of o'thia -- the ruling ethic of logic. And Spock -- torn between his duty to Starfleet and the unbreakable ties that bind him to Vulcan -- must find a way to reconcile both his own inner conflict and the external dilemma his planet faces...lest the Federation itself be ripped asunder.

Diane Duane, author of three previous bestselling STAR TREK novels and an episode of the new STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION® television series, as well as countless other bestselling science fiction and fantasy novels, has crafted a tale of unprecedented scope and imagination, at once a generations-spanning historical novel and a thrilling science fiction adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:42 -0400)

A crisis on the planet brings the U.S.S. Enterprise and Mr. Spock to Vulcan in its time of need. The entire history of Vulcan and its innermost secrets are laid bare in the struggle to save the Federation and Vulcan.

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,272,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible