Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking…

A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories of History's… (edition 2001)

8711915,274 (3.78)13
Member:HonoluluSprite
Title:A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories of History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors [TREAS OF ROYAL SCANDALS]
Authors:
Info:Penguin Putnam (2001), Unknown Binding
Collections:Wishlist

A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar

Quick easy to read chapters. Witty comments on the bad behavior of the royals and popes through history. It includes family trees and timelines to help see where things fit in time. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 25, 2018 |
really good till we got to popes. found the popes quite sickening.
another reader said this was like the national enquirer. yes! ( )
  mahallett | Nov 10, 2018 |
Those naughty, naughty, naughty royals! I always knew that rank excess was a recipe for disaster, but these little vinettes have been a real eye-opener. At the end, I realized that I am very, very glad never to have been born a royal. My life-expectancy would have been severely diminished.......thanks mostly to my own family.

A very enjoyable little book; I am looking forward to reading more of its ilk from the same author (this was his first one). No history knowledge is necessary for enjoyment, yet to will conclude the book with some of it. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
All I say is, kings is kings and you got to make allowances. --Mark Twain The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
This book is dedicated with love to my grandmother, Claire O'Donnell Donahue Courtney. What a life!
Introduction: The twentieth century was a slaughterhouse for European monarchy.

From Nero's nagging mother (whom he found especially annoying after taking her as his lover) to Catherine's stable of studs (not of the equine variety), here is a wickedly delightful look at the most scandalous royal doings you never learned about in history class.

Gleeful, naughty, sometimes perverted-like so many of the crowned heads themselves-A Treasury of Royal Scandals presents the best (the worst?) of royal misbehavior through the ages. From ancient Rome to Edwardian England, from the lavish rooms of Versailles to the dankest corners of the Bastille, the great royals of Europe have excelled at savage parenting, deadly rivalry, pathological lust, and meeting death with the utmost indignity-or just very bad luck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

Family trees. -- The lust emperors. -- Six royals sinning. -- Unholy matrimony. -- Mom was a monster, Pop was a weasel. -- Royal family feud. -- Strange reigns. -- When in Rome. -- Papal vice. -- Death be not dignified. -- Appendix I: British monarchs (1066-present). -- Appendix II: French monarchs (1515-1814). -- Appendix III: Russian monarchs (1682-1917). -- Appendix IV: Timeline featuring a chronological index of monarchs in the Treasury and concurrent events in the Western world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,454,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible