Among the Brave (Shadow Children) by…

Among the Brave (Shadow Children) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Title:Among the Brave (Shadow Children)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Info:Aladdin (2005), Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:fiction, abuse

Among the Brave by Margaret Peterson Haddix (2004)

Book 4 in the series was a bit annoying, so it took me a while to get to this one (book 5). It was worth it! I read it in one 2.5 hour sitting while too caffeinated to sleep last night. The 1st person narration is from yet another Shadow Child's persective to the overall benefit of the whole series. Fast paced, the plot was not as ridiculous as Barons (book 4).

This series is perfect for middle school students who love the fast-paced, non-stop action, every-short-chapter-ending-in-a-cliffhanger kind of novel. At the moment, I have 12 students hungrily fighting over my copies as they tear through this series, which says a lot!

While I wouldn't recommend this to an adult for their own reading pleasure, I do advise parents and teachers of middle-school-aged children to get their kids into this one.

Action-packed,sufficiently thought-provoking, "appropriate" series for your middle school classroom. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 12, 2013 |
Some comments for now on the series were made for the first book. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Trey is so awkward, you can't help but like him. I love seeing Trey grow so much throughout this book. And unlike Luke, his growth seems natural, not forced. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
Review by: Melissa

I have read all these books and they are interesting. I never want to stop reading.
Review by: goodcharlotterox
Review by: Pilar

Freakin awesome book

Intresting, and you never get tired of it. For people tryin to get a good summary, it is set in a time when being a third child is illegal. Trey, a Shadow child is trying to rescue his friends from the population police, who are capturing them. He teams up with his friends brother, but he, Mark, gets captured. Now, to get Mark out of prison he has to get another person out of a torture camp. The prisoner turns out to be Mr. Talbot, a resistor of the population police, and Trey's friend. The adults try to give up, but the Shadow Children will not lose the battle. This book is ok, it gets boring at times.... I thought it was interesting how different the world was. It seemed like they were Holocaust victims pretty much. It is sort of scary, but more suspensful. A quick read that is great for a trip. LISTEN TO GOOD CHARLOTTE!!!!! ( )
  bplteen | Apr 16, 2012 |

A Reluctant Hero

Trey may have saved Luke's life, but he still thinks of himself as a coward who can barely stand to be outdoors. Now Trey finds out Luke has been taken prisoner at Population Police headquarters. Trey is terrified, but he knows that if he doesn't rescue his friend, no one will.

At police headquarters, Trey impersonates an officer to try getting to Luke. But just when it looks like he's close, Trey suddenly finds himself in danger of exposing not just himself but all shadow children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

In a society that allows families to have only two children, a group of third-borns tries to save themselves and others like them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible