Grimm Woods by D. Melhoff

Grimm Woods (edition 2016)

by D. Melhoff (Author)

Member:itsJUSTme
Title:Grimm Woods
Authors:D. Melhoff (Author)
Info:Bellwoods Publishing (2016), Edition: 1, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Horror, Thriller

Grimm Woods by D. Melhoff

I received a free digital copy of this book from the author via Partners In Crime Virtual Tours in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Camp Crownheart is an idyllic, rural summer camp offering one week away from the trials and tribulations of dysfunctional families and bad foster homes. Each week during the summer, a busload of children are brought to frolic in a camp modelled on fairytales of old. The camp counselors are young adults and most are former graduates from the camp. A camp filled with kids from the city, counselors with their own sets of problems, a rural location, no cell phone coverage, and miles away from anyone, what could possibly go wrong?

Grimm Woods is a -- dare I say it, yes I must -- grim and often horrifying story of just what can and does go wrong at a remote camp location. The first night reveals the murder of two counselors. The next night, two more are found murdered and the radio has apparently been sabotaged. There's no way to contact the authorities and the only option is wait for the bus to arrive on Friday. Scott Mamer is a new counselor at Camp Crownheart and he's one of the few adults left standing and fighting to protect the kids at the camp. As he and a fellow counselor attempt to find out who is killing the other adults and why, they must also find ways to keep over 50 kids occupied throughout the day, as well as safe and fed until the bus arrives to take them home. Grimm Woods is part horror tale and part mystery. Parts of the story read like a new adult story moreso than adult fiction. It was difficult for me to relate to most of the characters, namely the counselors, as they all seemed too immature and self-absorbed to my liking. I did, however, like the few kids that are presented, such as Tyrell, Marshall, and Stephanie. For those of you that enjoy blood, guts, and a moderate amount of gore mixed with your mystery, Grimm Woods may be just the book for you. For me, I'll never be able to watch another Disneyfied fairy tale quite the same ever again.

This review originally posted on 5/1/2017 at www.thebookdivasreads.com ( )
  BookDivasReads | Apr 30, 2017 |
Oooo spooky!!!! For all you fans of the movie "Friday the 13th" - this is one book you won't want to miss. I love horror books and movies and this one was done just right. Just enough creepiness to keep you on the edge-of-your seat and biting you nails.

I compared it to Friday the 13th only because it takes place at a summer camp and the counselors are be murdered - in creepy Grimm fairy tale style! Hmm what a wonderful idea! Of course there are lots of twists that keep you guessing. Even when you do find out who the murderer is you don't find out why till later.

This story is not for the feint of heart! It has quite a bit of swearing and lots of blood and graphic detail - as any good horror story should have. And honestly even with all the goriness the descriptions are great! The author did not spare us any visuals on this one. It is exactly what you would want in a book of this nature.

It has been a long time since I have read a scary book and as far as thrillers/horror goes - this one will not disappoint! ( )
  itsJUSTme | Apr 27, 2017 |
Grimm Woods started out pretty benign, a busload of kids and counselors on their way for a week at Camp Crownheart in the Michigan woods. Scott Mamer, a guy who needs a job, decides to take this one for the summer. Pretty easy gig for him he thinks. He meets the owner of the camp, Charlotte and the maintenance guy, Bruce along with the other counselors. The counselors all have their issues and reasons for wanting to be at the camp, some have been working at the camp for years. The kids are your typical camp goers, rich kids, underprivileged kids sent for some learning and fun activities.

We learn about Scott and his past and about a little girl named Desiree and what happened to her. The first night at camp there is a get together with all of the counselors at the lake. There is alcohol, drugs and sex which kind of surprises Scott, but he joins in. The first night, two of the counselors go missing and are found dead. That starts the murder spree that continues through the next few days and what a spree it is.

I found that the book started out a little slow, but I think that was to set the scene and timbre of the story. Then it took off and I had a hard time putting the book down. I have not read a horror story in a long time and this is definitely a readable story. Makes me glad that I never went to summer camp! The writing was easy to read and I came to really feel for the characters and I usually figure out who the bad guy is but I was not able to until the author lets the reader know. I really enjoyed the book! ( )
  celticlady53 | Mar 7, 2017 |
Scott Mamer is holding a dark secret in his past about the death of a young girl. Since then, he has had trouble sleeping and holding down a job. When an opportunity arises to work at Camp Crownheart, a children's fairy tale camp set deep in the Michigan woods, Scott seizes the opportunity even though it isn't his cup of tea. When he arrives, Scott is surprised that the counselors aren't exactly the wholesome bunch that you would expect to be a a children's camp; girls with eating disorders, exotic dancers, drug users and teens who owe child support round out the list. The camp director, Charlotte and her maintenance guy, Bruce also seems to be running quite a strict business. Scott tries to settle in before the kids arrive; however, on the very first night two of the counselors go missing and are found dead later that night. The death toll continues to climb and Scott tries to figure out why the counselors seem to be targeted.

Many of us know that the original fairy tales were not the nice sweet stories that have been imagined for today's world. The original fairy tales were dark, gory and downright horrifying; nonetheless their purpose was to teach a lesson, a moral of the story. This is what the killer at Camp Crownheart is striving to teach the wayward counselors. Grimm Woods begins like a typical teen slasher camp film that we all know; teens who are hooking up quickly fall victim to a murderer bent on revenge. It isn't until about halfway through the book that the fairy tale angle begins to become apparent and I became very interested in what twisted fate that the counselors would meet. I was very intrigued once we begin to learn the true versions of the fairy tales and what moral the killer believes each counselor deserves for their transgressions. The deaths were very creative and of course, gory, violent and bloody. The mystery involved is of course finding out who the killer is, but more so why they have it out for Scott specifically. Once all those plot points come together, Scott's fairy tale moral is revealed for an exciting, vengeful and bloody ending. Overall, an interesting murder mystery with original fairy tale tie-ins.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Mar 1, 2017 |
Going to a summer camp that has a theme based on Grimm’s fairy tales may sound like fun, but it’s not. Scott was having a hard time finding a job but that all changed when he was offered a summer job as a camp counselor for kids. Everything at the camp is based on old fairy tales such as Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Rapunzel and others. Seems like it would be an easy and fun job but when counselors start dying in gruesome ways, Scott and the other adults quickly learn that this camp is no fairy tale.

Someone is killing all the counselors and making it look like deaths that take place in Grimm’s Fairy Tales. We’re not talking the sanitized Disney fairy tales, we’re talking about the original stories which were meant to scare kids into being moral. Scott and the other counselors are faced with the challenge of staying alive while being hunted by a fairy tale obsessed psychopath.

Grimm Woods by D. Melhoff has the feel of an old 80’s slasher movie. We have a summer camp where there are teenagers having sex, doing drugs and unbeknownst to them, they’re being stalked by a serial killer. That’s only the beginning though, as the story moves along it gets more complex and the characters become more interesting. What really makes this book stand out is when it gets into the old fairy tales and you see how different they are compared to the kid friendly ones that most people know. D. Melhoff did his homework on Grimm’s fairy tales and seeing how they fit into the story is what made Grimm Woods different from other slasher stories.

The best part of the story is when all of the kids and counselors are trapped in a building trying to stay away from the killer. One of the counselors finds a big book of original fairy tales and decides to have the kids put on plays based on the stories. While they’re working on the performances they realize that the stories aren’t kid friendly, leading to a gruesome discovery and the realization that the world of fairy tales is a bleak place.

Grimm Woods is a book that has its flaws but is still a fun read. It gets off to a slow start, some of the action sequences didn’t make sense and the story would have been better if it was shorter. That being said, I enjoyed how a few of the characters grew as the story moved along, the villain was downright sadistic and the use of original fairy tales that most people don’t know about, made it all worthwhile. Grimm Woods may not be a great read but it’s an entertaining ride. ( )
  dwatson2 | Feb 14, 2017 |

A REMOTE SUMMER CAMP becomes a lurid crime scene when the bodies of two teenagers are found in a bloody, real-life rendering of a classic Grimm's fairy tale. Trapped in the wilderness, the remaining counselors must follow a trail of dark children's fables in order to outwit a psychopath and save the dwindling survivors before falling prey to their own gruesome endings.

Drawing on the grisly, uncensored details of history’s most famous fairy tales, Grimm Woods is a heart-pounding thriller about a deranged killer who uses traditional children’s stories as tropes in elaborate murders. Set against the backdrop of modern-day Michigan, it’s a journey through the mind of a dangerous zealot and a shocking glimpse into the bedtime stories you thought you knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 22 Jan 2017 15:41:41 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,048,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible