Enigma Tales by Una McCormack
202740,027 (3.63)1
Member:konallis
Title:Enigma Tales
Authors:Una McCormack
Info:New York : Pocket Books, 2017.
Tags:science fiction, television, tie-in, Star Trek, read 2018, signed

Enigma Tales by Una McCormack

I liked having Pulaski around, the author captured her voice well. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
I'd better start by disclaiming that I don't read the Relaunch novels. I tried them and didn't care for them, but picked this one up because I have quite a soft spot for Natima Lang, and because I enjoyed Una McCormack's “The Never Ending Sacrifice”. I have no idea how well this one carries on from previous novels, but I can say that with one exception, I had no problem getting caught up on recent events. Not only did McCormack manage to do that without an infodump (an achievement in itself!) I even found myself beginning to invest in characters like Peter Alden.

It's not a perfect book. Pulaski began to grate after a while (there's quite a few scenes of her being suspicious over, and over, and over again), though I enjoyed seeing a growing, changing Cardassia through her eyes. My biggest complaint is that I found the resolution pretty unsatisfying. Rather than getting a natural resolution to the mystery, the answer seemed to come out of left field and lacked much in the way of substance. Another complicating factor is that a lot of things happen offstage, to the point where I often felt we were checking in on story threads rather than following them. That doesn't do much to develop a sense of urgency or potential catastrophe. Long story short, it seemed to me that “Enigma Tales” was initially intended to be a longer work but ended up undergoing some pretty ruthless cuts.

Yet despite my criticism, I still gave it 4.5 stars, which is a rating I rarely give as it is. Why? I rated in part because Garak is spot on, and a delight to read. I was skeptical about the idea of him as Castellan when I started the book, by the end of it McCormack had not only convinced me it worked, but made me think it was a perfect progression for the character. But mostly I gave it that rating because the writing is so vivid. Cardassia and its ongoing struggles just came to life beautifully, illustrated with images and turns of phrase that took my breath away. Some of them should have come across as cliched, but they were written so beautifully that I was left stunned instead. Una McCormack hasn't made a Relauncher out of me—though to be fair, I don't think anyone can—but the next time she has an entry in the series, I'll come back in. ( )
  Jeslieness | Jul 23, 2017 |

Una McCormack is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,726,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible