Startide Rising by David Brin

Startide Rising (1982)

by David Brin

Series: Uplift Saga (2), First Uplift Trilogy (2)

English (38)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
My favorite of Brin's Uplift books. The bizarre characters of different species all forced to live/work and try to survive together is fascinating. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Simply one of the best Science Fiction books ever written. The rest of the series isn't bad either, particularly The Uplift War and Heavens Reach ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I like this book well enough but I feel like I should like it more than I do, it has everything a good sf novel should have. Vastly imaginative, epic, some humor and good characters. Unfortunately I have a problem with the structure of this book, the cast of characters is too big and the author switches character POV too frequently. This type of structure reminds me of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, except that the GRRM books are longer and the characters are better developed. Also most of the chapters are short and some are super-short (like a single paragraph). The way it is done here is quite disorienting for me, every time he does it I become a little detached from the story because I have to keep a tally of who is who and doing what.

While reading the first few chapters I thought that characterization was going to be a problem with this book because I didn't get the feel of any of them. As I read on however I began to realize that the characterization is actually quite good, the problem is that there are just so many important characters and it takes time to attune to any of them. The large number of plot stands and the short chapters make the novel seem fragmented.

With all that said I love the concept of the Uplift universe and can not help but plan to read more. Hopefully the structure of other volumes is not so fragmented. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
David Brin's Startide Rising is pretty much everything you'd want from a space opera. The book features a variety of characters who at first appear to be on the same side, but in actuality, many of them are working toward their own ends. The plotting is fast-paced and features a good bit of action without moving so fast that the reader can't keep up. What I like most is the background wonder and awe that permeates the story, not only with the derelict fleet, but also with the mysteries present on Kithrup. I do wish the book had a little bit more of an epilogue, as I really wanted to know where many of the plots went in the long term, but I guess I'll just have to read the next book... ( )
  Phrim | Jul 31, 2015 |
My fourth Brin and the best so far.

In Startide Rising, the viewpoint shifts between a fairly large cast of characters. Good guys, bad guys, and many others in between. As a result, it takes a few chapters to get your bearings. Once things start to fall into place however, the story really gets moving.

The scenario: In the future, humanity, after 'uplifting' first chimpanzees and dolphins to sentient status, have joined a galaxy-wide community - but their status is tenuous at best. All other known alien cultures, at some time in their own history, have been 'uplifted' by another race, thereby forcing them into indentured servitude to their 'sponsors' for a minimum of 100,000 years. Humans, because they uplifted other species before being discovered by the galactic community at large, are immediately considered a sponsor race and can therefore not be forced to serve others. As a result, a lot of aliens are angry at and offended by humans.

Now, a Terran starship - crewed mostly by neo-dolphins, a few humans, and a self-centered neo-chimpanzee - has made a momentous discovery. With an armada of ET ships hot on their tail, they barely escape immediate capture and, with a damaged ship, are currently in hiding on a metal-rich oceanic planet somewhere at the edge of the galaxy. As the enemy closes in, things go from bad to worse as disagreeing factions threaten to tear the crew apart. But the planet itself is an enigma that holds secrets that may help - if only the crew can hold it together and unravel the mystery in time.

The many tendrils of this story are slowly and inexorably drawn together. Brin weaves a unique and masterful tale that fully deserves the awards and accolades it received.

Highly recommended. ( )
  ScoLgo | Nov 17, 2014 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cherry, David A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Streaker is limping like a dog on three legs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327418X, Mass Market Paperback)

David Brin's Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written.  Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War--a New York Times bestseller--together make up one of the most beloved sagas of all time.  Brin's tales are set in a future universe in which no species can reach sentience without being "uplifted" by a patron race.  But the greatest mystery of all remains unsolved: who uplifted humankind?

The Terran exploration vessel Streaker has crashed in the uncharted water world of Kithrup, bearing one of the most important discoveries in galactic history.  Below, a handful of her human and dolphin crew battles armed rebellion and a hostile planet to safeguard her secret--the fate of the Progenitors, the fabled First Race who seeded wisdom throughout the stars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

After crash-landing on an uncharted planet, the human and dolphin crew of a spaceship from Earth battle fleets of alien warships.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible