Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster…

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster Classics) (original 1963; edition 2000)

by P.G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (12)

Member:HydrogenGuy
Title:Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster Classics)
Authors:P.G. Wodehouse
Info:Simon & Schuster (2000), Hardcover
Tags:comedy, fiction, jeeves and wooster, wodehouse

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1963)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
Fabulous listen for a long car trip. ( )
  Vinculus | Jul 20, 2016 |
In Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves, Bertie Wooster returns to Totleigh Towers, the site of an earlier ordeal that nearly landed him in prison and, worse still, in bonds of marriage to Madeline Bassett, the syrupy daughter of the house who believes the stars are God's daisy chain. Only Gussie Fink-Nottle, Bertie's childhood friend and Madeline's on-again off-again fiancé, stands between our hero and the dreaded state of matrimony. No surprise, then, that matrimonial disaster looms for our hero when Madeline, inspired by the life of Percy Bysshe Shelley, orders Gussie to abandon his beloved steak and kidney pie and take up a vegetarian diet. Add the intrigues of Miss Stiffy Byng to win her fiancé the Reverend Stinker Pinker a vicarage, the rivalry of collectors Sir Watkyn Bassett and Bertie's Uncle Tom over an objet d'art, and the irresistible culinary attractions of American Emerald Stoker, and you have trouble of the sort only Jeeves can mend. ( )
  bostonwendym | Jul 12, 2016 |
Once again Bertie comes close to having to marry Madeline Bassett. Meanwhile, Stiffy Byng wants to right what she thinks is a wrong by having Bertie steal a statuette and return it to the man who sold it to her uncle. Her dog's demeanor cause Bertie and Pop Bassett to jump onto a large chest. (see below) Food plays an important part in the story.

Bertie shares some wisdom:
...but the great lesson we learn from life is to know when and when not to be in the centre of things. [p. 49; end of Chapter 6]

... and Wodehouse continues to write in his usual style:
He moved, he stirred, he seemed to feel the rush of life along his keel, as the fellow said, and Pop Bassett with a lissomness of which I would not have suspected him took to himself the wings of the dove and floated down beside me on the chest. [p. 66; chapter 8]

N.B.: It turns out he's referencing "The Building of the Ship by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

"And see! she stirs!
She starts,--she moves,--she seems to feel
The thrill of life along her keel,
And, spurning with her foot the ground,
With one exulting, joyous bound,
She leaps into the ocean's arms!"

... and Psalm 55:7 (http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2655.htm)

And I said: 'Oh that I had wings like a dove! then would I fly away, and be at rest.

SPOILER: Gussy ends up marrying Emerald Stoker and so Madeline and Roderick Spode, now Lord Sidcup, can get together if they are both interested in doing so. ( )
  raizel | Jul 6, 2016 |
Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves - Wodehouse
audio performance Jonathan Cecil
4 stars
Back to Totleigh Towers, Bertie is in danger of an altar walk with Madeline Bassett. Not to worry. Jeeves will prevail. There’s a little rearrangement of partners and Bertie maintains his status as man about town. A neat five hour listening break that helped me keep a stiff upper lip in holiday traffic.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
'It makes me so sad to think of your hopeless love, Bertie,' she said, adding something which I didn't quite catch about moths and stars. 'Life is so tragic, so cruel. But what can I do?'
'Not a thing,' I said heartily. 'Just carry on regardless.'

When Madeline Bassett forces him to become a vegetarian, Gussie Fink-Nottle threatens to rebel, and Bertie has to try to get their engagement back on track or else he may have to marry drippy Madeline himself. His stay at Totleigh Towers is complicated by Stiffy Bing trying to ensnare him in one of her madcap schemes, and the suspicions of Sir Watkyn Basset and Roderick Spode who have never forgiven Bertie for his involvement in his Aunt Dahlia's scheme to steal Sir Watkyn's antique cow-creamer.

This plot may all sound terribly familiar, but it doesn't play out quite as expected. Enjoyable fluff. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 28, 2016 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Jasen
I marmaladed a slice of toast with something of a flourish, and I don't suppose I have ever come much closer to saying 'Tra-la-la' as I did the lathering, for I was feeling in mid-season form this morning.
The lissomeness with which he moved hither and thither was most impressive, as was his homicidal ardor when doing what I believe is called tackling. Like the Canadian Mounted Police, he always got his man, and when he did so the air was vibrant with the excited cries of morticians in the audience making bids for the body. (Chap. 3)
It died on his lips as he saw me, and he stood staring at me aghast. He reminded me of one of those fellows who spend the night in haunted houses and are found next morning dead to the last drop with a look of awful horror on their faces. (Chap. 6)
"There is no need to dwell on the Alpine hat, Jeeves."

"No, sir."

"If you really want to know, several fellows at the Drones asked me where I had got it."

"No doubt with a view to avoiding your hatter, sir." (Chap.7)
Aberdeen terriers, possible owing to their heavy eyebrows, always seem to look at you as if they were in the pulpit of the church of some particularly strict Scottish sect and you were a parishoner of dubious reputation sitting in the front row of the stalls. (Chap.8)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743203607, Paperback)

A Bertie and Jeeves classic, featuring an Alpine hat, a black amber statuette, and the dreaded Totleigh Towers.

In Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves, Bertie's newt-breeding friend Gussie Fink-Nottle must marry Madeline Bassett or Bertie will be obliged to take his place. Understandably, Bertie is aghast. It seems like certain suicide, but Jeeves must find a way to save his employer from the clutches of the drippy Madeline. If he fails, Bertie's bachelor days -- not to mention Jeeves's leisure time -- will be at an end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Miss Madeline Bassett is engaged to Gussie Fink-Nottle, but their relationship has struck a difficulty. Bertie Wooster needs must bring the couple together, or he will have to marry Madeline! This is the stuff of nightmares for Bertie, so with the redoubtable Jeeves, he goes to Totleigh Towers to broker a truce.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible