Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster…

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster Classics) (original 1963; edition 2000)

by P.G. Wodehouse

1,206206,637 (4.2)42
Member:HydrogenGuy
Title:Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Simon & Schuster Classics)
Authors:P.G. Wodehouse
Info:Simon & Schuster (2000), Hardcover
Tags:comedy, fiction, jeeves and wooster, wodehouse

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1963)

1960s (221)

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
This is a Jeeves & Wooster novel. It's got all the things you usually find in a Jeeves & Wooster novel: ridiculous situations, complicated romantic entanglements, a hilariously hapless Bertie finding himself in various troublesome situations and an unflappable Jeeves sweeping in repeatedly to save the day. Really, all of these are similar enough that after you've read a few of them, they start to take on a slight feeling of déjà vu.

But absolutely none of that matters. What matters is that when I picked this book up, I was feeling grumpy and unwell, and by the time I'd finished reading the first sentence, I was grinning from ear to ear. Such is the marvelous magic of Wodehouse. ( )
1 vote bragan | Feb 28, 2014 |
I have read almost all of the Bertie & Jeeves books growing up and many of them I have reread over the years. Now I am enjoying them as audiobooks! I think Jonathan Cecil does an amazing narration & would recommend this edition. Cecil manages to make Bertie Wooster believable, which isn't as easy as it might seem - he gives Bertie just the right amount of imbecility and of the right type. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 24, 2013 |
My copy has NO isbn! And "50 cents" printed on the cover! Wheee. ( )
  smetchie | Apr 2, 2013 |
Jonathan Cecil makes me laugh out loud. Like, LOUD. I've read a few Wodehouse books, but they're so much funnier when Jonathan Cecil reads them to me. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
As an adaptation, not as good as the others in this set - but I will always love the Alpine Joe gag. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To David Jasen
I marmaladed a slice of toast with something of a flourish, and I don't suppose I have ever come much closer to saying 'Tra-la-la' as I did the lathering, for I was feeling in mid-season form this morning.
The lissomeness with which he moved hither and thither was most impressive, as was his homicidal ardor when doing what I believe is called tackling. Like the Canadian Mounted Police, he always got his man, and when he did so the air was vibrant with the excited cries of morticians in the audience making bids for the body. (Chap. 3)
It died on his lips as he saw me, and he stood staring at me aghast. He reminded me of one of those fellows who spend the night in haunted houses and are found next morning dead to the last drop with a look of awful horror on their faces. (Chap. 6)
"There is no need to dwell on the Alpine hat, Jeeves."

"No, sir."

"If you really want to know, several fellows at the Drones asked me where I had got it."

"No doubt with a view to avoiding your hatter, sir." (Chap.7)
Aberdeen terriers, possible owing to their heavy eyebrows, always seem to look at you as if they were in the pulpit of the church of some particularly strict Scottish sect and you were a parishoner of dubious reputation sitting in the front row of the stalls. (Chap.8)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743203607, Paperback)

A Bertie and Jeeves classic, featuring an Alpine hat, a black amber statuette, and the dreaded Totleigh Towers.

In Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves, Bertie's newt-breeding friend Gussie Fink-Nottle must marry Madeline Bassett or Bertie will be obliged to take his place. Understandably, Bertie is aghast. It seems like certain suicide, but Jeeves must find a way to save his employer from the clutches of the drippy Madeline. If he fails, Bertie's bachelor days -- not to mention Jeeves's leisure time -- will be at an end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:23 -0400)

Miss Madeline Bassett is engaged to Gussie Fink-Nottle, but their relationship has struck a difficulty. Bertie Wooster needs must bring the couple together, or he will have to marry Madeline! This is the stuff of nightmares for Bertie, so with the redoubtable Jeeves, he goes to Totleigh Towers to broker a truce.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible