The Doll's Alphabet by Camilla Grudova

The Doll's Alphabet (edition 2017)

by Camilla Grudova (Author)

Member:francesanngray
Title:The Doll's Alphabet
Authors:Camilla Grudova (Author)
Info:Coffee House Press (2017), 192 pages
Tags:fiction; poetry

The Doll's Alphabet by Camilla Grudova

Interestingly strange and strangely interesting stories, intriguing fascination with sewing machines ( )
  francesanngray | Jan 25, 2019 |
I am somewhat torn between "this is so-so" and "this is complete genius". The writing is so good, though, that this ultimately had to be at least 4⭐️for me. The stories are strange and often grotesque. Many have the feel of being from another time/place. Frequent appearances by sewing machines, things in tin cans, art, pregnancy and birth, and stupid, lazy and/or arrogant men. Oh! And lists. Lots of lists. And, the doll's alphabet has 11 letters; not sure why. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
Brilliant collection of possibly post-apocalyptic or alternative history based fairy-tales which combine morality, gender roles, and Victorian manners into a strange and striking blend ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
Okay, I read about 2/3 of the short stories in The Doll's Alphabet and they are just plain weird. They start off weird and they stay that way. Without explanation or depth. There are recurring themes: births gone wrong, sewing machines, empty shops, wax, sardines, and people who's body types are outside the norms -- very short, excessively fat, almost albino. Grudova is very good at painting pictures: I could see the people and the places. But I wanted to know the why of the situation and that never came. ( )
1 vote Berly | Oct 23, 2017 |
I've received nearly two dozen Indiespensable packages, and this is only the second book I've gonged. I read all kinds of stuff, especially now with the subscription, but this was just too... weird. Weirdly weird for the point of being weird. Pass. ( )
  kcshankd | Aug 28, 2017 |
One afternoon, after finishing a cup of coffee in her living room, Greta discovered how to unstitch herself.

""This doll's eye view is a total delight and surveys a world awash with shadowy wit and exquisite collisions of beauty and the grotesque." -Helen Oyeyemi, author of Boy, Snow, Bird "Down to its most particular details, The Doll's Alphabet creates an individual world-a landscape I have never encountered before, which now feels like it was been waiting to be captured, and waiting to captivate, all along." -Sheila Heti, author of How Should a Person Be "Marvellous. Grudova understands that the best writing has to pull off the hardest aesthetic trick-it has to be both memorable and fleeting." -Deborah Levy, author of Hot Milk Dolls, sewing machines, tinned foods, mirrors, malfunctioning bodies-by constantly reinventing ways to engage with her obsessions and motifs, Camilla Grudova has built a universe that's highly imaginative, incredibly original, and absolutely discomfiting. The stories in The Doll's Alphabet are by turns child-like and naive, grotesque and very dark: the marriage of Margaret Atwood and Angela Carter. Camilla Grudova lives in Toronto. She holds a degree in Art History and German from McGill University, Montreal. Her fiction has appeared in The White Review and Granta"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,506,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible