The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

The Duchess Deal

by Tessa Dare

2651964,777 (4.03)14

Cute story.

Pros: I absolutely love the banter between Emma and the Duke (Ash). She's so relaxed and he's stubborn. Every couple should banter like this
Con: I did not care for the constant language. To me, it distracts readers from the wit and humor.
Overall, the supporting characters were sufficiently developed and added to the story. The background stories tied in well with the plot. I would like to read more of Tessa Dare's work as long as the language isn't an issue. ( )
  caslater83 | Jun 2, 2019 |
Tessa Dare is in my opinion one the most haunting of authors in historical romance to date. Her stories are equal parts heartbreaking but highly unforgettable. The Duchess Deal takes a few cues from Beauty and the Beast and like the thief of the night Ashbury presents himself to be runs away with a readers soul. Emma is the owner of a lonely heart. Ashbury is the keeper of a broken spirit. Their's is a relationship of convenience until emotions become involved and the terms run away with their hearts. Nothing is as beautiful as the courageous and seductive romance of two lost souls finding a forever home in each others arms. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke) by Tessa Dare
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
A rollicking good time. Hero was badly scarred in Napoleonic Wars and decides to marry the first girl who doesn't cower away from his ~hideous face~. Enter our seamstress heroine, who storms into his office regarding an unpaid-for wedding dress of his last, failed fiance's. It's silly and not terribly historically accurate. There's a significant subplot of hero secretly fighting ruffians at night (*whispers* I'm the Regency Batman...) . But the hero and heroine tease each other, challenge each other, and heal each other. It's lovely and it's great fun. ( )
1 vote epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Right, let's get started!! (I know, this is just my excuse for getting some Dean into a totally unrelated historical romance review, but shush! Keep it under your hat...)

Visit all my reviews here. I love to chat books!

I'm reviewing The Duchess Deal: Girl Meets Duke, by Tessa Dare. Here are my thoughts:

^^ Returning from the war, scarred Duke of Ashbury decides he n
eeds an heir, but that would mean a wife and she'd have to look upon his beastly war wounds, which would never do. So when he sets his sights on the vicar's daughter Emma Gladstone and proposes a marriage of convenience deal, he begins to put some rules into place to protect her (or maybe himself) from seeing his disfigured body.

^^ But Emma is no fool, and insists on some rules of her own. She can see that beneath the scars, bad temper and his awfully stubborn ways, he's quite simply just a lonely man needing companionship, and no different to her. Surely beauty is only skin deep and there's much more to him than outward appearances.

^^ Oh, what a lovely story this is. Yes, on the surface this is what I'd call a sweet romance; a poor girl meets rich Duke love story. But deep down, below the surface of the title and cover, I uncovered some hidden gems. It's a story of two lost souls trying to make the best of what they feel they have left to offer.

^^ The Duke is a great character, and yes, he does have his faults, and I'm not talking his appearance, but can he really be blamed after what he's been through? The war has left the Duke scarred, physically and mentally. He may be a hero on the battlefield, but with his scars on show he's found himself to be rather intimidating to others; children scream, dogs howl, honestly, if no one can bear to look at him, how is he ever going to produce an heir?

^^ Then we meet Emma, wise before her years, and not a woman to be messed around. But if that's so, why would Emma choose to go into a loveless marriage with a man who only wants her for an heir? He's already made it totally clear they'll never have to sleep in the same bed ever again after their child is born. What on earth could possibly be in it for her? Well, maybe deep down, Emma's not so confident after all. Perhaps, this wealthy Duke may be her last chance to have a child, and gain some security into her
life. After all, if her father said "No decent man would ever want you!" as he banished her from their house, then maybe there's some truth to it?

^^ I found myself thinking this is very much a charming Beauty and the Beast story. The way Emma and Ash get to know each other is both realistic and so endearing. This has some cracking dialogue with several laugh out loud moments, which made this such an enjoyable, fast read. I can't wait to read more like this from Mills and Boon.

^^ Oh and I nearly forgot. It's got it's sexy bits in it too, and they are totally fitting and in line with this time period. What did make me smile, (and I thought it was a nice touch) was how, at the beginning of the book, there is a lovely dedication from the author (also once a vicar's daughter) thanking her dad for being nothing like her character Emma's father. Tessa Dare also mentions which chapters her father should miss out when reading. Don't you realise that these p
ages will be where everyone visits first? 😉

Overall: This is a charming Beauty and the Beast story, about love, honesty and mistakingly becoming the Monster of Mayfair! (Hilarious).

Thank you to Tessa Dare and Mills and Boon for my copy of this book, of which I received in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
I grew up a PK ("preacher's kid"). Emma, the heroine of this book, is a vicar's daughter. I want to make clear that Emma's father is nothing like my own. My father was—and is—loving, patient, supportive, and understanding.
Thanks, Dad. This book's for you.
Please don't read chapter 7,9,11,17,19,21,or 28.
Emma Gladstone had learned a few hard lessons by the age of two-and-twenty.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062349066, Mass Market Paperback)

When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules…

Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.

His terms are simple:

- They will be husband and wife by night only.

- No lights, no kissing.

- No questions about his battle scars.

- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.

But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:

- They will have dinner together every evening.

- With conversation.

- And unlimited teasing.

- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:11:26 -0500)

The Duke of Ashbury needs a wife. Emma Gladstone, a vicar's daughter turned seamstress, will do. They both have terms for the marriage, but will they be able to stop from falling in love?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible