The Duchess Deal: Girl Meets Duke by Tessa…

The Duchess Deal: Girl Meets Duke (edition 2017)

by Tessa Dare (Author)

Series: Girl Meets Duke (1)

4973736,448 (4)15
When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules... Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury's to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne'er-do-wells by night. Now there's a new item on the list. He needs an heir--which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar's daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she'll do. His terms are simple: - They will be husband and wife by night only. - No lights, no kissing.  - No questions about his battle scars. - Last, and most importantly... Once she's pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again. But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own: - They will have dinner together every evening. - With conversation. - And unlimited teasing. - Last, and most importantly... Once she's seen the man beneath the scars, he can't stop her from falling in love...… (more)
Member:bookishwitch
Title:The Duchess Deal: Girl Meets Duke
Authors:Tessa Dare (Author)
Info:Avon (2017), 384 pages
Collections:Read, Historical Romance, Romance, Your library
Rating:*****

The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

Listened to audio narrated well by Mary Jane Wells.

Lots of laugh out loud moments as the stuffy, growly Ash convinces Emma to marry him to be his 'broodmare.' One of my favorites is when he suggests all she has to do is 'lie back in the dark and then spend nine months swelling up like a tick'. Their verbal sparring is smart, sharp and very funny.

Ashbury was hit by a rocket, leaving him burned and scarred. He needs an heir and when Emma shows up at his door wearing the wedding dress she sewed for his former fiancé he decides she will be his wife. He only has to convince her.

Emma is a seamstress and after finally agreeing to wed the Duke, refuses to accept his rules, constantly doing the unexpected.

I loved their story, it was a great read. These two are perfect for each other. There's a lot of humor to go with the healing of a scarred man and an abused woman, as well as a lot of love.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/

wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
Re-read Sept 2018 - 4.5 stars. I think I loved this more the 2nd time around. Tessa Dares books make me laugh and smile and they are so enjoyable.
Would highly recommend. Loved Ash and Emma’s relationship and banter.

I received with thanks an ARC copy of The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke #1) from Mills & Boon & Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare. This was published in August 2017

This was a sweet, bold, daring, loveable romance. I absolutely adored the romance between the two main lead characters Emma and Ashbury. The author has a way of making you fall in love with all the characters and you unable to put her book down. I have her Castles Ever After series so will have to the start them all soon.

Give it a go if you love good historical romance. ( )
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
The Duchess Deal is my first Tessa Dare book, and it won't be the last for sure. Yes, this time, I followed the hype wave and picked up the book.
I was SO pleasantly surprised by the cheeky, often hysterical banter and quipped inside The Duchess Deal. At the surface, it reminded me of Beauty & the Beast meets Phantom of the Opera, but the hidden gems within this book were delightful to me. I hadn't expected the novel to crack me up -- which it did, early and often! -- nor did I expect the depth of its themes to sweep me away or knock me out. There were several lines from this book that actually jarred my heart!
If you are looking for a great read with a lot of laughs, emotion, and a soulmate type of love, look no further - this is that book, and it is a MUST READ KEEPER!!! ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 3, 2020 |
I enjoyed it. It was funny. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
A seamstress suddenly finds herself married to a reclusive "beast" of a nobleman.

3/4 (Good).

The sense of humor is good, and the character development is excellent. I never understood the appeal of the Beauty and the Beast story, and removing the fantasy elements from it is no way to win me over, but this book handles things remarkably well for what it is. My biggest complaint is that it's 100 pages too long. The story seems to come to a resolution three or four times, then backpedal, before finally ending for real. Although, part of that is just my own impatience with the trope of People Who Don't Want To Love.

This is only my second modern romance novel. I am relieved to find that that first (badly written) book I read is not necessarily representative. But despite liking this book, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the genre so far. I am a fan of Characters Who Love Each Other, but is that the one thing a romance story can't have (until the ending)? ( )
  comfypants | Oct 16, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

I grew up a PK ("preacher's kid"). Emma, the heroine of this book, is a vicar's daughter. I want to make clear that Emma's father is nothing like my own. My father was—and is—loving, patient, supportive, and understanding.
Thanks, Dad. This book's for you.
Please don't read chapter 7,9,11,17,19,21,or 28.
Emma Gladstone had learned a few hard lessons by the age of two-and-twenty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,642,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible