Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander…
Recently added byJohn_T_Stewart, private library, JanelleQuimby, MaraBlaise, Outsourced, bobholt, sormrod, slhaddox
    Ishmael by Barbara Hambly (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Good Spock time travel stories.

Much better than Enterprise, in that the characters have adult points of view and reactions to other characters, even though much of it takes place in (roughly) the same era of Kirk's command.

The book is split into 2 parts: Book I and Book II. Book I felt like so much exposition and dead weight. Jumping straight into the action of the far more interesting Book II would have made for a tighter whole.
  bobholt | Dec 3, 2017 |
Not my favorite Star Trek novel. I am giving it three stars here, though, due to the fact that the audiobook version is voiced by none other than Leanard Nimoy and George Takei. Definitely worth listening to! ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Feb 11, 2016 |
I really liked this book. It was interesting seeing how first contact may have happened. We also got to meet Spock's Grandfather or was he his great grandfather. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
Thank you, Margaret Wander Bonanno! When one Star Trek novel lets you down, another restores your faith in published fan fiction. Apparently, this novel belongs to the same series as Vonda McIntyre's First Adventure, but I actually loved this 'gap filler', which alternates between a young Kirk and crew from 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' in the first series to the older and wiser characters of the films. I even enjoyed the establishing chapters, drawing together irascible first officer Melody Sawyer and her captain with kelp farmers Tatya and Yoshi over the crash-landing of a Vulcan craft, and original characters usually bore me silly.

Bonanno's love of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, however, was all that was needed to completely win me over. Here is a woman who understands the magic of the characters and the show! The bond - the 'silver link' - between Kirk and Spock is beautifully drawn upon, hinting at 'the story of this human and a certain Vulcan' without getting too slashy. And the complexity of Kirk's personality is respected, not dumbed down to the level of popular stereotype. I loved the creative 'missing mission' chapters with Gary Mitchell, Elizabeth Dehner and Lee Kelso, too, showing Kirk in transition from edgy young captain to confident, trusted leader. I could have lived without the meddling wizard, but Spock's time with his ancestor was touching, and the multiple threads of the story tied neatly together in the end. ( )
1 vote AdonisGuilfoyle | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is one of those rare times when I pull a beloved book off my shelf and end up thinking less of the tome than I did on my previous readings. Strangers is a Star Trek novel, telling of a first contact between Vulcans and Humans. (This was written before the movie Star Trek: First Contact, so now we know that this story never really happened.)(Well, you know what I mean.) Like the movie, it wasn't enough to simply present the tale of this event. The author also had to include time travelling members of the Enterprise crew, in this case, from the original series. In the past, I enjoyed the cultural anxiety of the encounter and the building drama of the story. This time around, I also (eventually) got caught up in the plot, but I spent far too much time noticing the clichés and two dimensional characters. I may hang onto the book out of nostalgia, but I really couldn't recommend that any one else pick it up outside of the waiting room.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Nov 25, 2012 |

Margaret Wander Bonannoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vallejo, BorisCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my "crew":
For Russell, Danielle and Michaelangelo

("For nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans...")
Prologue: Leonard McCoy was lost in the twenty-first century.
Tayla raised herself on one elbow and gaped through the sleeping-room port at the night sky, her china-blue eyes wide.

"WHATEVER IT WAS THAT WENT DOWN LAST NIGHT, IT WASN'T ONE OF OURS ..."

Sawyer paced the confines of the cabin, contemplating the calm and sparkling Pacific, somewhere in which a supposedly alien spacecraft had gone down the night before. Chances were it had simply plummeted like a stone into a pond and that was the end of it.

"So you see," Nyere smiled/ wanly, "what it is is our having a long, considered look at the aliens/ and reporting our findings to Command. Command then decides if Earth is ready - for the first time and for absolute certainty - to know that such aliens exist."

"And if Command decides not?"

"Then it falls upon us to make certain that they - and any witnesses to their arrival" - he shook his head, unbelieving - "cease to exist."

In the twenty-first centruy humanity has united after countless years of warfare, and turns toward the stars. But when an alien spacecraft crashlands in the South Pacific bearing visitors from another world, the Vulcans, Earth must decide whether to extend the hand of friendship, or the fist of war.

In the distant future, horrible dreams torment Admiral James T. Kirk, dreams prompted by his reading of "Strangers From the Sky", a book about that historic first contact. He dreams of an alternate reality where he somehow changed the course of history, and destroyed the Federation before it began.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

In the twenty-first century humanity has united after countless years of warfare, and turns toward the stars. But when an alien spacecraft crashlands in the South Pacific bearing visitors from another world, the Vulcans, Earth must decide whether to extend the hand of friendship, or the fist of war. In the distant future, horrible dreams torment Admiral James T. Kirk, dreams prompted by his reading of Strangers From the Sky, a book about that historic first contact. He dreams of an alternate reality where he somehow changed the course of history, and destroyed the Federation before it began.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,811,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible