Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1) by David…

Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1) (original 1980; edition 1985)

by David Brin (Author)

Member:ThomasWatson
Title:Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1)
Authors:David Brin (Author)
Info:Spectra (1985), 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Sundiver by David Brin (1980)

Ringworld by Larry Niven (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    Nimrod Hunt by Charles Sheffield (lesvrolyk)
    lesvrolyk: Tons of cool aliens!
    The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)

English (43)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (46)
A bit dated. Also, I listened to a recording of the book and found parts of it difficult to follow. I think current writers are more aware that their books will be recorded if they are successful.

There are certainly very ingenious elements to the story. I will probably read more in this saga.

I decided to read some of David Brin's novels as a break from the Mystery - Detective genre.

This interview

Provides an excellent summary. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
Not a smooth start for this fan-favorite series. The book strikes at least 4 very different tones as it plunges forward in ambitious world-building and bold speculation. I wasn't interested in what I was reading until well beyond 30% of the way in - but I held on b/c the second and third installations both earned Hugos among other accolades.
I'm not the most well-read sci-fi guy I know, but I saw hints of Foundation, Star Trek, and the science-based trappings of Clarke.
Not a book where answers are handed to you on a silver tray - but not a "hard science" labyrinth either. Ultimately a layer murder/political mystery where you can seldom trust your impressions of the characters you come to know.
I couldn't recommend this book to a casual friend - but a I would to a friend that I know would follow through and dig into the books that follow (where there is, I'm all-but-certain, improvement upon some of the ideas introduced in Sundiver). ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
A very confusing story - every time something was figured out, it was (at least partly) wrong. Everyone (and I mean everyone) had secrets and plots - Helene's was mild and pleasant, but still she was plotting. So was Fagin. And the protagonist was an unreliable narrator - we understood various things because he said they were so, and they weren't. The whole mystery was based on multiple misunderstandings - and not only of the E.T.s. The warfarin side-plot was...pretty weak, they were clutching at straws all over the place (Kepler's behavior isn't a side-effect of warfarin, for one thing!). I'm told this is the weakest story of the series, and that I needed to read it to understand Startide Rising, so I'm not sorry I read it, but I didn't enjoy it and probably will not read it again. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 17, 2018 |
2014 re-read. The first book of the uplift trilogy and somewhat different in style from the novels that followed. This is mostly a murder mystery in space and was enjoyable for what it was. You should read this one to see how much the story progressed as it went along... ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
Read as part of Uplift: The Complete Trilogy. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
... it is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star. - A. S. Eddington, 1926
To my brothers Dan and Stan, to Arglebargle the IVth . . . and to somebody else.
"Makakai, are you ready?"
"Once a caveman, always a caveman, ejh LaRoque? Men get all the way to the sun, and they build a fire to stay warm!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553269828, Mass Market Paperback)

No species has ever reached for the stars without the guidance of a patron--except perhaps mankind. Did some mysterious race begin the uplift of humanity aeons ago? Circling the sun, under the caverns of Mercury, Expedition Sundiver prepares for the most momentous voyage in history--a journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:50 -0400)

Mankind encounters conflicts among the inhabitants of the universe, as brave individuals prepare to journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,402,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible