Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Surfacing (1972)

by Margaret Atwood (Author)

English (69)  Swedish (1)  All languages (70)
bought a few of her novels in Stratford, Ontario at the Shakespeare Festival Book Store - a great day
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
shelved in: Art Library - at: B70
  HB-Library | Feb 14, 2016 |
A harrowing ride into the eye of the main character's psychotic mind. Not an easy read for me just because Atwood's character seems to slide in and out of reality a bit too easily for me. I suppose that's the point though, eh? Like the character, we find ourselves asking "what is real." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book by Atwood a lot more than The Handmaid's Tale. The characters seemed very realistic to me and the plot had a lot of depth and leaves a lot for reflection. It also covered issues of environmental, political and national. I found it very entertaining but also very complex at the same time. I would classify it as a must read. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
On the back of the book it says this one’s supposed to be a thriller, but I’m not really getting that. Surfacing is about a Canadian woman who travels from the city back to the isolated rural island where she grew up to search for her missing father. Her boyfriend and another couple accompany her, and they spend a week in her family home. At this point it gets somewhat Survivoresque because the extreme isolation of the location brings out the worst in everybody and forces our narrator to confront the ghosts of her past. Obviously, things deteriorate from there.

This is one of Atwood’s earlier novels, so it’s not as good as some of her more recent ones. It’s so abstract that I had a very hard time understanding it at times. If you’ve never read her, this is probably not the one to start with, but if you’re already a fan of Atwood, then I recommend reading it because I can definitely see from this novel how she’s developed over time. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I can't believe I'm on this road again, twisting along past the lake where the white birches are dying, the disease is spreading up from the south, and I notice they now have sea-planes for hire.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec. Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec.  Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.  Surfacing is a work permeated with an aura of suspense, complex with layered meanings, and written in brilliant, diamond-sharp prose.  Here is a rich mine of ideas from an extraordinary writer about contemporary life and nature, families and marriage, and about women fragmented...and becoming whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

A woman searching for her missing father travels with her lover and another couple to a remote island in northern Quebec, where they encounter violence and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible