Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Surfacing (1972)

by Margaret Atwood (Author)

English (67)  Swedish (1)  All languages (68)
A harrowing ride into the eye of the main character's psychotic mind. Not an easy read for me just because Atwood's character seems to slide in and out of reality a bit too easily for me. I suppose that's the point though, eh? Like the character, we find ourselves asking "what is real." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book by Atwood a lot more than The Handmaid's Tale. The characters seemed very realistic to me and the plot had a lot of depth and leaves a lot for reflection. It also covered issues of environmental, political and national. I found it very entertaining but also very complex at the same time. I would classify it as a must read. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
On the back of the book it says this one’s supposed to be a thriller, but I’m not really getting that. Surfacing is about a Canadian woman who travels from the city back to the isolated rural island where she grew up to search for her missing father. Her boyfriend and another couple accompany her, and they spend a week in her family home. At this point it gets somewhat Survivoresque because the extreme isolation of the location brings out the worst in everybody and forces our narrator to confront the ghosts of her past. Obviously, things deteriorate from there.

This is one of Atwood’s earlier novels, so it’s not as good as some of her more recent ones. It’s so abstract that I had a very hard time understanding it at times. If you’ve never read her, this is probably not the one to start with, but if you’re already a fan of Atwood, then I recommend reading it because I can definitely see from this novel how she’s developed over time. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Surfacing Margaret Atwood
★★★

I found this a difficult book to rate as I really enjoyed the first half and then didn't enjoy the second

After an absence from home and family the narrator is called back to the remote island in Quebec where she spent a lot of her childhood and where her father has disappeared. She brings with her, her lover Joe and her married friends Anna and David largely because she needs their car to get there.

Once she has returned to Quebec the narrator begins to remember her childhood and various instances that took place there, she also begins to question the nature of her fathers disappearance.

Initially the friends are only going to stay a few days however they decide to extend this trip to a week.

Atwood builds the tension as in a lonely, isolated environment the defences and facades of the normal everyday world wear down and the real people are revealed.

What I liked, the descriptions of the Canadian wilderness, the way the narrator a woman is the only one of the group equipped for survival in this landscape and the way everything is not what it seems.

What I didn't like the way the narrator behaves at the end of the novel for me it took something away from the story that had gone before.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I can't believe I'm on this road again, twisting along past the lake where the white birches are dying, the disease is spreading up from the south, and I notice they now have sea-planes for hire.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec. Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec.  Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.  Surfacing is a work permeated with an aura of suspense, complex with layered meanings, and written in brilliant, diamond-sharp prose.  Here is a rich mine of ideas from an extraordinary writer about contemporary life and nature, families and marriage, and about women fragmented...and becoming whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

A woman searching for her missing father travels with her lover and another couple to a remote island in northern Quebec, where they encounter violence and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,168,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible