Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Surfacing (original 1972; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:echaika
Title:Surfacing
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:novel

Surfacing by Margaret Atwood (1972)

English (72)  Swedish (1)  English (73)
SPOILERS AHEAD!!
This book was listed in the 1001 books to read before you die and I'm not sure why. I did finish the book but it confused me throughout. The premise is a woman goes back to her hometown/cabin with her boyfriend/friends to find her father.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/115365.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 30, 2016 |
What is this? I have read several Atwood novels and short stories, and I found myself cringing throughout the first ten pages of this novel, ten pages in which I found five typos. Whoa.

What happened here? I realize it was an early work and clearly her writing and tone improved rapidly, but there wasn't a lot of redemption in this work, for me. I wanted to find some trace of Atwood's genius as I continued, but I just felt more and more as if I were in an episode of the Twilight Zone. Sure, the descriptions are still lovely, and there are the quirks and feminism tropes found in all her stories, but it just didn't bring the novel together for me. Just because she is one of the greatest novels of the past fifty years, does not make one lower-grade book any more noteworthy. Not recommended.
1 vote cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
This is an early novel by Atwood. The unnamed protagonist is grabbling with identity and Canada is grappling with national identify. The book was published in 1972. There is many references to the war and it felt like the references were to WWII and not Vietnam but it isn't clear. There is also a theme of aloneness. The protagonist never fit in, being raised in the wilderness without the amenities of civilization. She never connected with people. This is a trip back home with friends (married couple) and her lover. She is going to find her father who has been missing. The protagonist ends up submerging herself in madness. The book has also a strong feminism theme. ( )
  Kristelh | May 23, 2016 |
bought a few of her novels in Stratford, Ontario at the Shakespeare Festival Book Store - a great day
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
shelved in: Art Library - at: B70
  HB-Library | Feb 14, 2016 |
I can't believe I'm on this road again, twisting along past the lake where the white birches are dying, the disease is spreading up from the south, and I notice they now have sea-planes for hire.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec. Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec.  Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.  Surfacing is a work permeated with an aura of suspense, complex with layered meanings, and written in brilliant, diamond-sharp prose.  Here is a rich mine of ideas from an extraordinary writer about contemporary life and nature, families and marriage, and about women fragmented...and becoming whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

A woman searching for her missing father travels with her lover and another couple to a remote island in northern Quebec, where they encounter violence and death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible