Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Surfacing (original 1972; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:echaika
Title:Surfacing
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:novel

Surfacing by Margaret Atwood (1972)

There is something to be said about reading a book in which the narrator loses their grip with reality. In Surfacing, the entire book is told from one perspective, and then suddenly the character goes from mildly eccentric/odd...to all out batty. When it happened I had to stop and reread, "Wait," I told myself, "she just did what?"

In effect, Margaret, you got me again.

This was a quick read but a highly interesting one. A woman heads back to her childhood home when she finds out her dad has gone missing. She is joined by her boyfriend and a married couple. We see her thoughts on marriage, children, civilization, Americans, nature and war by the way she reacts to others.

A very good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

In effect, Margaret, you got me again.

A very good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It took me quite some time to get into this book. For the most part I liked it, but towards the end it got a bit strange.
I hope my understanding of the last chapter is right. Not sure what to think of it though.

Glad to have read it and in English :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 8, 2014 |
I found the earlier parts of this book realistic and haunting, something that many readers seem to share. The mystery of the disappearance of the protagonist's father and the dynamics of the personal relationships keep this book humming along. In the end I found it surrealist and very strangely compelling. Overall the book continues in a dreamlike, haunting manner, even after the strong change in the narrative. I continue to think about it months later.

Not like much of the other Atwood I've read, but it still has that stamp of weird. ( )
  M.Kleinig | May 11, 2014 |
I have to admit, some of Atwood's work is disturbing on several levels, some is a little out there, but thought provoking, & some stories are just kind of sad & thought provoking at the same time. This is one of them.

When our unnamed artist gets notified that her father in Canada has disappeared from his cabin, she & her significant other, along with another couple, travel to the wilds to try to find him or what's happened to him. As she spends this time in the wilds she grew up in, we learn more of her upbringing, & the past that she has to face in order to surface from her self imposed disconnect with her feelings. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
I can't believe I'm on this road again, twisting along past the lake where the white birches are dying, the disease is spreading up from the south, and I notice they now have sea-planes for hire.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec. Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec.  Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.  Surfacing is a work permeated with an aura of suspense, complex with layered meanings, and written in brilliant, diamond-sharp prose.  Here is a rich mine of ideas from an extraordinary writer about contemporary life and nature, families and marriage, and about women fragmented...and becoming whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:30 -0400)

A woman searching for her missing father travels with her lover and another couple to a remote island in northern Quebec, where they encounter violence and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible