Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Surfacing (original 1972; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

3,320761,638 (3.35)280
Member:echaika
Title:Surfacing
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:novel

Surfacing by Margaret Atwood (1972)

English (75)  Swedish (1)  All (76)
I love Atwood's language in this novel, especially her descriptions of wilderness and the narrator's slippage between the realistic and the mythic, without warning, blurring categories, becoming increasingly hallucinatory as the novel progresses. The narrator's struggles with male power and the discovery of her own are harrowing and transformative. ( )
  wyattbonikowski | Jan 11, 2017 |
I'm not sure that it all holds together, but if it fails, it fails spectacularly. This is early Atwood, a psychological thriller about a woman who travels to her childhood home, an isolated island in northern Quebec, to search for her missing father. As she narrates the story, you get the sense that she is imbalanced, and things being to unravel, but slowly and subtly. The ending is bizarre and haunting. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Every time I read Atwood, I am struck by how different she is. I love that I can come to a book and know that I'm in for something good - but not something rehashed. Margaret Atwood doesn't do formula - each book is it's own creation, different from what's come before and not simply a taste of what's to come.

This is a slim little novel, speeds by until the last 20 pages or so - and at that point it becomes much more... muddy. For good reason, which I won't share here, since it's worth reading on your own.

Overall, it's not a happy novel. Partly it's about facades, how people act one way but feel another. It's about cruelty, emotional and otherwise, lashing out when we feel pain. It's about discovering yourselves, crumbling under traumas.

A good little book, 4.5 stars I'd say. ( )
1 vote ThePortPorts | Dec 30, 2016 |
SPOILERS AHEAD!!
This book was listed in the 1001 books to read before you die and I'm not sure why. I did finish the book but it confused me throughout. The premise is a woman goes back to her hometown/cabin with her boyfriend/friends to find her father.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/115365.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 30, 2016 |
What is this? I have read several Atwood novels and short stories, and I found myself cringing throughout the first ten pages of this novel, ten pages in which I found five typos. Whoa.

What happened here? I realize it was an early work and clearly her writing and tone improved rapidly, but there wasn't a lot of redemption in this work, for me. I wanted to find some trace of Atwood's genius as I continued, but I just felt more and more as if I were in an episode of the Twilight Zone. Sure, the descriptions are still lovely, and there are the quirks and feminism tropes found in all her stories, but it just didn't bring the novel together for me. Just because she is one of the greatest novels of the past fifty years, does not make one lower-grade book any more noteworthy. Not recommended.
1 vote cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
I can't believe I'm on this road again, twisting along past the lake where the white birches are dying, the disease is spreading up from the south, and I notice they now have sea-planes for hire.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec. Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.

Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a talented woman artist who goes in search of her missing father on a remote island in northern Quebec.  Setting out with her lover and another young couple, she soon finds herself captivated by the isolated setting, where a marriage begins to fall apart, violence and death lurk just beneath the surface, and sex becomes a catalyst for conflict and dangerous choices.  Surfacing is a work permeated with an aura of suspense, complex with layered meanings, and written in brilliant, diamond-sharp prose.  Here is a rich mine of ideas from an extraordinary writer about contemporary life and nature, families and marriage, and about women fragmented...and becoming whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

A woman searching for her missing father travels with her lover and another couple to a remote island in northern Quebec, where they encounter violence and death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,615,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible