Swords Against Death by Fritz Leiber

Swords Against Death (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Fritz Leiber

Member:selfnoise
Title:Swords Against Death
Authors:Fritz Leiber
Info:Ace (1970), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:fantasy, swords and sorcery

Swords Against Death by Fritz Leiber (1970)

Recently added byeloquinn, GVassmer, private library, BolstenDorder, Kythe42, KentonSem, Mike_O, weemadarthur, hoopmanjh

English (19)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (21)
This is the second volume in a collection of the first three Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books. They are among the earliest of the "buddy" sword-and-sorcery tales and swash buckle with the best of them still. The book is really a connection of short stories/novellas written between 1939 and 1963, with a couple of connecting stories thrown in. My favorites are "The Seven Black Priests" and "Bazaar of the Bizarre," mostly because in spite of the heroes' overconfidence (or because of it?), things still work out.

If you like sword-and-sorcery stories or heroic fiction or well-written fantasy, this should be on your list of books to read. Every time I have bought the books, read them, then given them away for the purposes of space, I have kicked myself and repurchased them later. Perhaps this Kindle book will stay with me this time. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Aug 26, 2018 |
A good book for those nights when there is no good swashbuckling movie to watch. The fun pairing of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser become engaged in the affairs of a pair of sorcerers as they try to build careers, or at least get by, in the beautifully corrupt city of Lankhmar and its peculiar environs. These are the middle period tales, with "Circle Curse, Jewels in the Forest, and Thieves House being stand-outs. Great fun, often reread. ( )
1 vote DinadansFriend | Feb 18, 2017 |
This tale takes our two friends (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser) back into battle after loosing their women friends. Through a series of highly improbable adventures, they duel and finagle their way back into our hearts and manage, for the most part, to conquer their opponents. ( )
  dbsovereign | May 17, 2016 |
Another collection of short stories, somewhat riskier to our "heroes" than the first book. There's more domination of the senses, being caught in the web of others, curses, and imposible treasures than in the first book. The stories are good enough, and in some of them we start to see the way to novellization, as they have seberal mentions to previous stories, and some of that mentions weight really heavily on the narrative. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
This was just a blast from beginning to end. Short stories, packed with action as well as character, and each quite different from the last. Fafhrd and Mouser both have solo-ish adventures whilst the other is lost, captured, drunk, or otherwise out of commission, as well as several with both together and all the fantastic banter and humor and horror you want out of a Swords Against (Thingy) book. I read this with the intention of gathering some good (or great!) examples of how to write action and sword fights for my own work, but I'm sure I'm going to collect the 6 volumes I haven't yet read. Awesome! ( )
1 vote D.ThoursonPalmer | Mar 26, 2015 |

Fritz Leiberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fibla, JordiTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fainza, HeidiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones,JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojtekCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sept prêtres noirs" et "Le bazar du bizarre" doivent être dédiés à deux merveilleux rédacteurs. ea Mahaffy et Cele Laly qui les ont inspirés. Mais d'autres rédacteurs m'ont également apportés une aide précieuse : feu le grand John W. Campbell Jr., et les très attentionnés Donald A. Wollheim et Edward L. Fermann. Ainsi que quantité d'autres personnes envers qui je me sens redevable.
F.L.
Un grand guerrier armé d'une épée et un autre, petit, sortaient par la porte du Marais de Lankhmar et suivaient la Chaussée de Pierre en direction de l'est.
A tall swordsman and a small one strode out the Marsh Gate of Lankhmar and east along Causey Road.

Mayflower 1st paperback vg+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:10 -0400)

In order to forget their grief over the death of their lovers, Fafhrd the Barbarian and the Gray Mouser set off in search of adventure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible