HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Tai-Pan by James Clavell
Loading...

Tai-Pan (original 1966; edition 1986)

by James Clavell

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,712282,176 (4.05)50
Member:AlexulQ
Title:Tai-Pan
Authors:James Clavell
Info:Dell (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:****
Tags:None

Work details

Tai-Pan by James Clavell (1966)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 50 mentions

English (26)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
Showing 1-5 of 26 (next | show all)
I enjoyed the fictionalized founding of Taiwan depicted by Clavell. When I read Shogun twenty years ago, I was engrossed and absorbed, and this was also great fun. Perhaps not great literature, but paints a full absorbing picture. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
I read this because so many other people were reading it and recommending it. To me it was hard slogging to get through it. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I read this because so many other people were reading it and recommending it. To me it was hard slogging to get through it. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I read this because so many other people were reading it and recommending it. To me it was hard slogging to get through it. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Listened to audio with Ron. Hard to follow all the characters, but a great story nevertheless. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 26 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (22 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
James Clavellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jongerius, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nimwegen, Arjaan vansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Graag wil ik mijn dank uitspreken aan de bevolking van Hongkong, die me zoveel van haar tijd en kennis geschonken heeft en me een blik gunde in haar heden en verleden. Naatuurlijk is dit een roman en geen geschiedenisboek. Mannen en vrouwen die erin voorkomen, kwamen voort uit de verbeelding van de schrijver en er is geen enkel verband met personen of firma's uit het huidige of het vroegere Hongkong bedoeld.
Dedication
For Tai-tai, for Holly, and for Michaela.
First words
Dirk Struan came up onto the quarterdeck of the flagship H.M.S. Vengeance, and strode for the gangway.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Set in the 19th century, Englishman Dirk Struan sets out to turn the desolate island of Hong Kong into a bastion of British power, and to make himself the supreme ruler: the Tai-Pann--Publisher.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 5 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
69 avail.
7 wanted
5 pay4 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.05)
0.5 1
1 5
1.5 3
2 17
2.5 8
3 114
3.5 26
4 234
4.5 34
5 214

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,867,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible