The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

6,822None536 (4.06)342
1001 (39) 1001 books (49) 19th century (161) Arthur Conan Doyle (66) British (95) British literature (66) classic (293) classics (248) collection (45) crime (230) crime fiction (64) detective (277) detective fiction (49) ebook (125) England (95) English (59) English literature (49) fiction (896) Holmes (42) Kindle (162) literature (123) London (71) mystery (975) novel (37) read (88) Sherlock Holmes (398) short stories (351) to-read (118) unread (45) Victorian (75)

English (126)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (134)
It is very exciting for a classic read. A classic Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys but Sherlock Holmes is definitely a more colorful character, smarter and cooler. He reminds me of Dr. House, someone who loves a good puzzle and they also have the same urge of solving a very difficulty case. Modern day policemen needs to emulate Sherlock Holmes. I commend Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for being able to reach out to readers of different ages, different sizes and different nationality. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 3, 2014 |
*fond*

I may be giving bonus points for nostalgia, but original flavor!Sherlock Holmes is still my favorite. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
The first collection of short stories about the famous detective (and the third book about him). Most of these stories were new to me on this read--I think the only one I'd read before was "The Five Orange Pips," which I found both on this read an on my first read to be disappointing in that American audiences (especially modern day ones) will have half the mystery sorted before Holmes even points out the relevant points. As with any collection, some stories are stronger than others. I quite liked "Scandal in Bohemia" and "The Bascombe Valley Mystery." I was struck by how easy it often is to pick up on at least some of the answers to the cases (a function, surely, of having them presented to one in this form--real life would be another story, I suspect). I also had great fun identifying all the little points and bits of business that have shown up thus far in Moffat and Gatiss's Sherlock. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jan 26, 2014 |
Sometimes it is the mystery rather than justice being done (23 January 2012)
If there is one thing that I have to say about Sherlock Holmes and that is that he is a freak. To be honest with you, to me, Sherlock Holmes is to detective stories what Lord of the Rings is the fantasy novels, basically everybody since Doyle has been attempting to create a character that is either on par, or even exceeds, Doyle's masterpiece and has failed abysmally (well, that's not entirely true, if you consider Agatha Christie). Okay, I should suggest that since I have not read much detective fiction beyond this one book (and I do not consider Poe to be a writer of detective mysteries) then my judgement is a bit clouded, however my father, who is a fan of detective novels, suggests that a lot of them involve fanciful reasoning (he says the same about Holmes) and many of them simply involve somebody stumbling over a murder and then working out who is the culprit.
I will probably read some other books at a later date, but at this stage, I will probably stick with some more of the Holmesian books, particularly since most of his adventures are short stories, and few of the adventures actually involve solving a murder. This particular book, which is a collection of short stories, and is the third Sherlock Holmes book released, after A Study in Scarlet and Sign of the Four, is a great introduction to the character of Sherlock Holmes and the short stories give one a good impression of his methods, and his adventures, without getting too bogged down into detail.
Each of the adventures consist mostly of dialogue, the first is usually the client explaining to Holmes the problem, Holmes then travels for a bit, and the story will finish with another lot of dialogue, which generally involves Holmes explaining how he arrived at his conclusions, and occasionally the culprit confirming Holmes' conclusions and filling in the gaps. As mentioned though, the mysteries cover all sorts, some of them are murders, others thefts, and among them are jilted lovers, a strange event at a country house, and one which involved attempting to locate the owner of a hat. Okay, that one particular story started with Holmes paying a lot of attention to a bowler hat (and a goose found next to it) in attempting to determine the owner, and then discovers the Blue Carbuncle hidden inside the goose. So, the adventure went from trying to find the owner of the hat to attempting to discover how a national treasure landed up inside a goose. I am told that in the later books, Doyle's adventures become a lot more like this.
Most of my exposure to detective fiction has usually been through television shows, and they usually involve a murder, though The Maltese Falcon didn't, but then again that particular movie is a cut above the rest. Oh, there are also the Harry Dresden books, but the two that I have read to date both involved murders, though the protagonist is a rather interesting character. This is where I come to the character of Holmes. Before I read the books I always considered Holmes to be a very conservative individual, with no real character, who went about solving murders. In truth I could not have been more wrong. The reason that I actually read this book is that I wanted to see how close Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes was to the original character, and I must admit that I have concluded that they are quite close.
Straight out, Sherlock Holmes is a substance abuser, with cocaine being his drug of choice. He is a loner that, unless he is on a case, locks himself in his room in Baker Street, surrounded by books and other strange objects and pretty much has only one friend, and that is Watson. Watson is actually completely the opposite to Holmes. Holmes' past is quite mysterious. We get glimpses of his skills and knowledge base (and it is quite extensive), and we also learn that he used to frequent brothels (though not anymore, one gets the impression that he is not interested in sex). He will help out the police occasionally, but is prone to throw them a few crumbs of information and then let them work the rest out themselves. Some have suggested that he and Watson are homosexual, and while I will not go into details here, I do not believe it is the case (particularly since Doyle considered homosexuality to be a mental illness, which means, even if Holmes was partial to it, Watson is not).
I would like to finish off with the question as to whether Holmes could be considered amoral. Personally I think not, but then again, as a fictional character, he is more likely to be amoral than a real person. I do not believe that it is possible for a real human being to be truly amoral, simply because we are brought up in a moral society and in doing so we have a sense of social morals embedded into us from a very young age. However Holmes is a strange character: on at least on two occasions in this book he lets the culprit go. The first was a man who had only weeks to live and pleaded with Holmes to let him die a free man. However, one could hardly call this man a moral, upstanding human being that was driven to the act through extenuating circumstances. The man was an armed robber, who had hijacked a gold wagon in Australia, and was being blackmailed by the victim (meaning that neither of the characters were all that upstanding). The second culprit was a thief who recognised his mistake, and was repentant, so Holmes let him go. It should also be noted that in these two cases, innocent people were being tried for the crimes, but Holmes was satisfied that the charges would not stick.
I don't think Holmes always gets things right though. We are told that he was beaten by four men and one woman, though it is the woman (Irene Adler) who takes the centre stage of being the 'one who beat Holmes'. Maybe it is because she was a woman, or maybe it was because she truly was Holmes' match (and Guy Ritchie plays this up a lot in the films). Also, in the story of the orange pips, he is satisfied that the culprits got their just deserts when a plank of wood, bearing the name of the ship on which the culprits were travelling, was found floating in the mid-Atlantic. It is assumed, by Holmes and Watson (though not made clear by Doyle) that the ship sank. My argument is 'not necessarily so'. It is possible (and Doyle does leave it open) that the ship pulled into port, rebadged itself (and this happens all too frequently), and then threw a board into the ocean to create the belief that it had sunk.
Returning to the question of amorality before I finish off, there is also the idea that Holmes is not concerned about justice in the sense that we are, but is rather more interested in solving the mystery. He is a consultative detective, so unlike the police, he is not bound by laws, and will take on cases which involve no laws being broken (though there is usually a scoundrel involved). To Holmes, it is solving the mystery, and unless he has a mystery to solve, he is board, and generally resorts to his drug addiction to keep him entertained. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Jan 15, 2014 |
The classic stories of deduction and mystery featuring the inimitable Sherlock Holmes, as narrated by his friend, Dr. Watson. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Dec 2, 2013 |

Is contained in

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.
Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192835084, Paperback)

Complete in nine handsome volumes, each with an introduction by a Doyle scholar, a chronology, a selected bibliography, and explanatory notes, the Oxford Sherlock Holmes series offers a definitive collection of the famous detective's adventures. No home library is complete without it.
Comprising the series of short stories that made the fortunes of the Strand, the magazine in which they were first published, this volume won even more popularity for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Holmes is at the height of his powers in many of his most famous cases, including "The Red-Headed League," "The Speckled Band," and "The Blue Carbuncle."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:34 -0400)

A Scandal in Bohemia -- The Red-headed league -- A case of identify -- The Boscombe Valley mystery -- The Five orange pips -- The Man with the twisted lip -- The Adventure of the blue carbuncle -- The Adventure of the speckled bnad -- The Adventure of the engineer's thumb -- The Adventure of the noble bachelor -- The Adventure of the beryl coronet -- The Adventure of the copper beeches.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible