The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

English (129)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (137)
Up at the Lake Placid Chalet, after I finished the one book I brought because I thought I would have no time to read, I picked this out of the bookshelf. It turns out it was slightly abridged but such a better choice than the scarily awful Mills and Boon or Electric Power Tranmission Systems, though perhaps I could have dug into the 1930s novel about football.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
After reading Hound of the Baskervilles, which is a full length novel about an adventure of Holmes, I was a little disappointed that this novel was ALL short stories. Short stories have their place, certainly, but it wasn't as engaging as a novel is.

There was nothing spectacular about this book. Just dozens of stories of Holmes solving problems no one else could. It was fun to try to solve them first...but I'm not that good. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories centered about the famous detective Sherlock Holmes. There is no direct connection between any of the stories but some of them include references to earlier Sherlock Holmes cases. Being a collection of short stories, there is not much sense in summarizing the plot. What the stories have in common, though, is that the cases that are presented to the protagonist are seemingly trivial at first sight but soon complicate and become interesting.

What I liked most about these Sherlock Holmes stories is how the cases are related through the eyes of John Watson, Sherlock Holmes' assistant. I especially like the way Doyle as an author uses Watson to narrate his stories and thereby raise their credibility. As a reader, I always find it easy to believe the stories as Doyle manages to give them a sense of being real events in late 20th century London. This technique is quite clever, to my mind, as it makes Holmes' deductions, which might otherwise seem quite far-fetched, more reasonable and credible. John Watson serves as a trustworthy reporter and additionally provides for some humorous sketches of an unsusual detective.

As a collection of short stories, the book can easily be read in twelve instalments. As I see it, this does not take anything off the reading experience as I quite enjoyed reading the book on twelve separate nights with one story each. I would recommend The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes both to people who already like Sherlock Holmes stories as well as to people who have never read Holmes but always wanted to. Although chronologically not the first book, it can definitely serve as an introduction into the intriguing cases of Sherlock Holmes. 4 stars for this one. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Jun 7, 2014 |
It is very exciting for a classic read. A classic Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys but Sherlock Holmes is definitely a more colorful character, smarter and cooler. He reminds me of Dr. House, someone who loves a good puzzle and they also have the same urge of solving a very difficulty case. Modern day policemen needs to emulate Sherlock Holmes. I commend Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for being able to reach out to readers of different ages, different sizes and different nationality. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 3, 2014 |

Is contained in

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.
Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192835084, Paperback)

Complete in nine handsome volumes, each with an introduction by a Doyle scholar, a chronology, a selected bibliography, and explanatory notes, the Oxford Sherlock Holmes series offers a definitive collection of the famous detective's adventures. No home library is complete without it.
Comprising the series of short stories that made the fortunes of the Strand, the magazine in which they were first published, this volume won even more popularity for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Holmes is at the height of his powers in many of his most famous cases, including "The Red-Headed League," "The Speckled Band," and "The Blue Carbuncle."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:34 -0400)

This splendid collection of mysteries carries readers back to a gas-lit era, when literature's greatest detective team lived on Baker Street. A dozen of Holmes and Watson's best-known cases include The Speckled Band, The Red-Headed League, The Five Orange Pips, The Copper Beeches, and A Scandal in Bohemia.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,108,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible