The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

English (139)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (147)
As far as I can recall, I’ve never read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories. The most exposure I’ve had to Sherlock Holmes prior to reading this book has been through the episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Data assumed the role of Sherlock on the holodeck. This book consists of twelve short stories detailing various mysteries that Sherlock solved as narrated by Dr. Watson.

I normally prefer to read related works close together, but these stories are a case where I think it might be better to read them over a period of time. The reason for this is that they are quite formulaic and, while I enjoyed the stories themselves, I sometimes got a bit tired of the repetitive aspects. Nearly every story involved the following elements in some order:

* We’re told why Watson is at Sherlock’s home. Watson takes a moment to consider his good fortune to be able to frequently participate in Sherlock’s cases and watch his keen mind at work.

* A client comes to Sherlock’s home in need of help and explains the problem.

* The client always presents their story in an organized and factual manner, no matter how distraught they may have been when they arrived. All of his clients had a similar “voice”. I would have enjoyed a little more variety and individual personality.

* Sherlock observes characteristics of his client and impresses them with his ability to deduce things they didn’t believe he could know.

* Sherlock encourages Watson either to stay and listen to his client and/or to participate in his investigation. Sherlock may sometimes comment on how helpful it is for him to have a trusted friend he can rely on helping him, even though Watson never seems to actually do anything to help solve the mystery.

* Sherlock asks various questions and/or examines various things and/or disappears to perform mysterious tasks, and then he declares the mystery solved and explains the chain of events.

Since these stories were written in the late 1800’s by a Scottish author, and I'm an American reading them well over 100 years later, some of the language occasionally amused me. There was one story in which people, males and females, were getting knocked up all over the place. “Knocked up” in this context meant getting woken up, not getting pregnant. There was also an astonishing number of “ejaculations” taking place throughout all of the stories, which was of course intended to mean that somebody had said something suddenly. I was also a little startled to learn on the very first page that Mr. Holmes used cocaine. I had to do a little Googling to learn that this was common in that era. I guess it's probably obvious from my comments that I don't read older books that often!

The stories really were pretty entertaining, though. I usually became interested in the story being told by the client and I enjoyed speculating about the solution. Figuring out the solution wasn’t always that difficult, since the solution was often the “unexpected”, but I was usually less successful at figuring out how Sherlock would figure it out. Although I don’t feel any need to go read more Sherlock stories in the near future, I am glad I read these. I gained some entertainment from them and I’m sure I’ll also be able to better appreciate references to Sherlock that I run across in more modern forms. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jul 24, 2015 |
I read this to my son, who was quite interested. A good introduction to Sherlock Holmes. The afterword by Arthur Pober, EdD says, 'Even for a gifted young reader, getting through long chapters with dense language can easily be overwhelming and can obscure the richness of the story and its characters. Reading an abridged, newly crafted version of a classic novel can be the gentle introduction a child needs to explore the characters and story line without the frustration of difficult vocabulary and complex themes.' Hopefully this book achieved its goal and I can introduce my son to the richer originals. ( )
  questbird | Jul 5, 2015 |
I previously read A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four and found them a little underwhelming. With this book though the game really is afoot. I've read a lot of short stories so I'm a bit fussy and these are some of the best. ( )
  Lukerik | May 20, 2015 |
Forgot how much I enjoyed these novels ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
9. The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb
10. The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

I loved these. It was awesome to read the mystery to which Sherlock needed to solve and see his mannerisms. Then out of absolutely nothing it seemed he had solved it! I loved how the story included through Sherlock on how he solved cases. Noticing the little things was mostly how he did it and I found myself trying to use those same tricks as best I could from reading to figure things out. It was a fun and awesome read. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |

Is contained in

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.
Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192835084, Paperback)

Complete in nine handsome volumes, each with an introduction by a Doyle scholar, a chronology, a selected bibliography, and explanatory notes, the Oxford Sherlock Holmes series offers a definitive collection of the famous detective's adventures. No home library is complete without it.
Comprising the series of short stories that made the fortunes of the Strand, the magazine in which they were first published, this volume won even more popularity for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Holmes is at the height of his powers in many of his most famous cases, including "The Red-Headed League," "The Speckled Band," and "The Blue Carbuncle."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:13 -0400)

This splendid collection of mysteries carries readers back to a gas-lit era, when literature's greatest detective team lived on Baker Street. A dozen of Holmes and Watson's best-known cases include The Speckled Band, The Red-Headed League, The Five Orange Pips, The Copper Beeches, and A Scandal in Bohemia.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible