The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Classic…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Classic Crime) (original 1892; edition 1981)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

10,809197442 (4.1)492
A collection of Sherlock Holmes mystery adventures, including "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Red-headed League," and "The Adventure of the Speckled Band."
Member:Ficlaire
Title:The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Classic Crime)
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1981), 288 pages

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1892)

English (183)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (195)
If you were to read the Complete Sherlock Holmes in chronological order, you would not start with the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The short stories in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, twelve in all, start after Holmes and Watson have gone their separate ways and are no longer sharing rooms of a flat together. Watson is by this time married with a house of his own while Holmes is still on Baker Street. One constant that remains throughout all the stories is Holmes's ability to confuse people with his keen sense of observation. "How could you know that?" is a constant refrain. Another constant is that all of the stories are told in first person from Watson's point of view.
"Scandal in Bohemia" - a Duke and heir King is blackmailed by an actress. Sherlock, with the help of Holmes, attempts to end the threat but the woman outsmarts them.
"Red-Headed League" - what do you get when you mix a redhead, an Encyclopedia, a bank, and a scam? Answer: a Sherlock Holmes mystery, of course!
"A Case of Identity" - How far will a man go to keep his stepdaughter from marrying?
"The Boscombe Valley Mystery" - Did a man really murder his father or is there more going on?
"The Five Orange Pips" - a curse has come down through the generations, terrorizing a family.
"The Man with the Twisted Lip" - This was my favorite. A man goes missing and is believed to be dead while his wife has faith he is alive.
"The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" - Who stole this precious jewel?
"The Adventure of the Speckled Band" - another crazy story about a father not wanting his daughters to marry because of losing the inheritance.
"The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" - is it a spoiler to say this is another story where the criminals get away?
"The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor" - Just what the title says, a guy does the right thing.
"The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet" - family devotion illustrated with a coronet.
"The Adventure of the Copper Beaches" - a really interesting story about trying to thwart a wedding (another common theme for Sherlock).
  SeriousGrace | Aug 28, 2020 |
Sure I'd read some of these stories before. And yes, it became a little tiresome that Watson starts every tale by explaining why it's unique amongst all of Holmes's cases. One starts to suspect that if Watson recounted a case that was not unique, then that in itself would make it unique. But then we're on to the interesting number paradox, and this is a book review not a logic lecture.

Suffice it to say that the Sherlock Holmes stories are always marvelous. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read [b:A Study in Scarlet|3010780|A Study In Scarlet|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GMK0JVWYL._SL75_.jpg|1997473]. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
Sherlock is always fun. What's not to love? ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
This collection of short stories by Barnes and Noble was worth the price. I loved the sparkly cover (the lettering is in silver) and there are also illustrations included. The pages are nicely edged as well and it comes with it's own personal bookmark. That said, I enjoyed all of the stories, though two of them were five stars in my opinion.

"A Scandal in Bohemia" (3 stars)-This apparently was the first short story featuring Holmes, but the third story featuring Holmes. We find Watson happily married in this one and back to practicing medicine. He stops by Holmes place at Baker Street and comes across Holmes being involved in a case that involves "The Woman" AKA Irene Adler. Can I say that one of the few things the Sherlock series did was with the character of Irene Adler? I loved her in the Cumberbatch and Freeman series. Ahem. I thought that the overall character of Adler didn't work for me in this one. Why does she refuse to give back the photos? Why would she waste herself over someone she purports to not care about? All in all an okay read, just not that thrilling.

"The Red-Headed League (5 stars)-I kind of got a kick out of a story that has red headed men in it as the stars so to speak. I do have to say that the character of Jabez Wilson was not that smart. Maybe because I don't trust anyone and watch too much Forensic Files type shows I would have thought the whole advertisement for red-headed men was up to no good. You don't need Sherlock Holmes to say hey there is something wrong here. Still though, I really did enjoy this one since I didn't see the why behind the story coming at all.

"The Five Orange Pips" (3 stars)-I liked this one. Not my favorite of the stories, but thought it was very good. I started reading and even went huh to the five orange pips that were sent to the character Elias Openshaw. This one creeped me out to read though since it includes references to the KKK and them going after the Openshaw men. There is rough justice in this one though, but the ending ultimately left me slightly unsatisfied. I like it when the criminals are caught and confronted in the end.

"The Blue Carbuncle" (3 stars)-We have Holmes and Watson tracking down how a priceless gem ended up in a goose's throat. This is so random. I never read this one before now so it's entirely new story to me. It just didn't make a lot of sense I found. I also didn't like the idea of the guilty party getting away and Holmes acting all well the person who was accused will totally just get out of this jam even though I know they didn't do it.

"The Speckled Band" (5 stars)- I read this story during high school English class and I enjoyed it then and now. This one creeped me out for days cause I already have an overactive imagination and now I of course start thinking about things that can bump or slither in the night. I do still want to know why the character of Helen Stoner would even still be hanging around her stepfather who obviously has a lot wrong with him.

"The Beryl Coronet"- (3 stars)-This was a rather weird case I found. A banker takes home a beryl coronet and is then awakened by his son bending the thing and finds some stones missing. I easily guessed who the guilty party was in this one though. I also once again wondered at Holmes letting the guilty party(ies) go free. Holmes going that one of the parties will get what is coming to them by their association with the other person was kind of eh to me.

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" (4 stars)-Re-read again for the second time. Here is my previous review. All of it still stands.

For such a short story, it did take a while to get going. We have Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson involved in a case of a mysterious hound that a man (James Mortimer) believes killed his friend Charles Baskerville. James is concerned since the new heir to the Baskerville estate, Sir Henry. There is a lot of clues and in the end, Holmes and Watson solve the mystery.

I like these stories (well the ones I have read) for the most part because we get told the story from Watson's point of view, with lots of Holmes running commentary. This one was lacking I thought since we get very little Holmes in this. I would liken it to the Poirot mystery I read last year where he solves the crime by sitting in his apartment, but had someone else do all of the work (The Clocks). Instead we have lots of Watson being on the scene and writing to Holmes to share his comments on everyone around the Baskerville estate.

I think the last story I read and really enjoyed about Sherlock and Doctor Watson was "The Adventure of the Speckled Band." Probably because the way the suspect set things up was very clever to me. And I loved the final resolution to everything as well. This story has whet my appetite somewhat for Holmes and Watson, so maybe I will start trying to read the first couple of stories again soon.

I can honestly say that I found the writing to be just a little bit muddled at times. I at one point could not follow who was who and who had done what (the two main women in the story). And I kind of called nonsense at how the whole thing was set-up. Maybe it's just me, but I think you could think of something better to do if you want to get rid of people. The flow was rather painful too for such a short story. I think it was jumping from Watson's narrative to his letters, and without Holmes around to provide clarity, I had no idea if what Watson was doing would ultimately be germane to the plot.

The setting of the Baskerville estate was perfect for a Halloween read though. A huge home alone on the moor with a dangerous hound afoot. We even get Watson out and about during a moonlit night for those who may want to read this for another bingo square.

The ending was slightly clumsy too. We had Holmes repeat what we already knew to Watson, and what Watson already knew too. I think it was to try to explain away a lot of holes in the story though, which Holmes or in this case Doyle did not do a very good job of. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
2020 reread via this Tantor audiobook:
An excellent way to experience these short stories but unfortunately, it is missing the 2nd story "The Red-headed League". According to the pdf file that came with the audiobook, this story should have been included; it is possible this defect is individual due to my download but for those considering buying this audiobook, make sure that you get the whole book.

Simon Prebble did a good narration. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 14, 2020 |

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832580, 1907832599

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,574,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible