Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister: A Novel…

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2010)

by Gregory Maguire

Member:yrizaria
Title:Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister: A Novel
Authors:Gregory Maguire
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (1999)

Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire (Kerian)
    Kerian: The retold fairy tale series edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling is also very good. Each book is a collection of short stories.

English (104)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (106)
Once again, I wish Goodreads had a "1/2" option, this book is 3.5 stars, but not quite 4. :)

This isn't the book that I expected it to be, and it is very different from the Disney version.

Cinderella isn't the nice girl she is always portrayed to be. The stepmom IS just as terrible, though, the sisters aren't really.

A fun read. I like MacGuire. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

A fun read. I like MacGuire. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
4Q 4P (My VOYA ratings). "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire, is an adaptation, or retelling, of the story of "Cinderella." This story takes place in 17th century Netherlands and focuses on one of Cinderella's ugly stepsisters, Iris. Iris faces being an outsider and is consider very plain and homely looking. She isn't an awful person, although her mother still is, and she helps Cinderella, whose name is Clara in this story, get to the ball. Iris is a multi-dimensional heroine who is smart, loves art, and falls in love while trying to discover who she really is. I give this story a 4 for quality because I think it is written well and really fun. I also give it a 4 for popularity because I think with some suggestion it would be easily read by teens. However, it might be difficult to get teen boys to read it.
  Crystalmiles | Jun 6, 2014 |
That makes the third interpretation of Cinderella I've read and it's so different from the other two. It's enjoyable, to be sure, and I read it all in one day, but...

It's just that the magic of Cinderella was utterly lost and turned mundane.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

It's just that the magic of Cinderella was utterly lost and turned mundane.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andy Newman
Hobbling home under a mackerel sky, I came upon a group of children.

AR 6.2, 15 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987529, Paperback)

Gregory Maguire's chilling, wonderful retelling of Cinderella is a study in contrasts. Love and hate, beauty and ugliness, cruelty and charity--each idea is stripped of its ethical trappings, smashed up against its opposite number, and laid bare for our examination. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister begins in 17th-century Holland, where the two Fisher sisters and their mother have fled to escape a hostile England. Maguire's characters are at once more human and more fanciful than their fairy-tale originals. Plain but smart Iris and her sister, Ruth, a hulking simpleton, are dazed and terrified as their mother, Margarethe, urges them into the strange Dutch streets. Within days, purposeful Margarethe has secured the family a place in the home of an aspiring painter, where for a short time, they find happiness.

But this is Cinderella, after all, and tragedy is inevitable. When a wealthy tulip speculator commissions the painter to capture his blindingly lovely daughter, Clara, on canvas, Margarethe jumps at the chance to better their lot. "Give me room to cast my eel spear, and let follow what may," she crows, and the Fisher family abandons the artist for the upper-crust Van den Meers.

When Van den Meer's wife dies during childbirth, the stage is set for Margarethe to take over the household and for Clara to adopt the role of "Cinderling" in order to survive. What follows is a changeling adventure, and of course a ball, a handsome prince, a lost slipper, and what might even be a fairy godmother. In a single magic night, the exquisite and the ugly swirl around in a heated mix:

Everything about this moment hovers, trembles, all their sweet, unreasonable hopes on view before anything has had the chance to go wrong. A stepsister spins on black and white tiles, in glass slippers and a gold gown, and two stepsisters watch with unrelieved admiration. The light pours in, strengthening in its golden hue as the sun sinks and the evening approaches. Clara is as otherworldly as the Donkeywoman, the Girl-Boy. Extreme beauty is an affliction...
But beyond these familiar elements, Maguire's second novel becomes something else altogether--a morality play, a psychological study, a feminist manifesto, or perhaps a plain explanation of what it is to be human. Villains turn out to be heroes, and heroes disappoint. The story's narrator wryly observes, "In the lives of children, pumpkins can turn into coaches, mice and rats into human beings. When we grow up, we learn that it's far more common for human beings to turn into rats." --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:00 -0400)

On seeing her portrait, a servant girl modelling for an artist in 17th century Holland realizes she is ugly. But the portrait opens her eyes to the world of art, she becomes a painter and is transformed by her work so that when a prince charming appears she is no longer ugly.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible