New York, Actually by Sarah Morgan

New York, Actually

by Sarah Morgan

English (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (6)
Just an ok book. I felt like it dragged on a little bit and things were repeated continously throughout the book which drives me crazy. I also felt like Molly was a little too smart to have such a ridiculous notion in her head that she is incapable of falling in love. I was really hoping I'd enjoy it more so I could continue with others in the series but I think I'll move on. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 18, 2017 |
4.5 Stars

Fun! Flirty! Fantastic!

Those three words always describe a Sarah Morgan read. I just know whenever I pick up her latest release, I will be treated to the most endearing characters, an engaging storyline and entertaining conversation! She has yet to let me down!

Molly, an author, as well as famous blogger "Ask Aggie" gives relationship advice and writes about finding your perfect mate. She now lives in NYC after escaping London three years ago with her professional and personal reputation in complete tatters. Things got so bad, she even changed her name when she moved to the states to keep from being recognized. She may be able to give advice on relationships, but she has never fallen in love, and doesn't think she is capable. Her perfect soul mate these days is a Dalmatian named Valentine. Their favorite activity is running together in Central Park.

Daniel, a divorce lawyer and avid runner, finds himself extremely attracted to a beautiful woman who runs at the same time he does every morning. He tries to catch her eye, but so far, much to his dismay, is ignored, which is not the norm. Daniel never has trouble getting dates. So to up his game and appeal, he borrow his sister's German shepherd to hopefully catch her attention. In no way will he need the handsome dog long term, mind you, because Daniel does not do commitment. Never has, never will. Daniel is the love 'em and leave 'em kinda guy.

Guess the tip of the day to Daniel is 'never say never.'

When Molly meets Daniel running in the park, unwanted heady, lustful feelings start to surface. In Molly's experience, being in a relationship with a man = trauma and trouble, but just looking at Daniel leaves her nearly breathless. He is not only extremely easy on the eyes and exudes confidence, but is so easy to talk to and to flirt with. He is making her all kinds of nervous. Afraid of letting her guard down around him, she will need to run a different route from now on to avoid him at all costs.

Guess the tip of the day to Molly is 'good luck with that strategy.'

Molly and Daniel's story is a charming and captivating romance. I love the premise of how they met, and found their witty, tongue-in-cheek exchanges quite amusing. This is another wonderful addition to the "From Manhattan With Love" series, but is a stand alone.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  KSchell | Jul 13, 2017 |
Molly and Daniel are in some ways an unlikely pair. Even though he is a very cynical divorce lawyer and she is a behavioral psychologist, amazingly they work. When Daniel observes Molly running in the park every day with her dog he comes up with a great idea to meet her, borrow a dog. His plan does work but not immediately. I love the dynamic between the two of them and I really enjoyed re-visiting some of the earlier characters from the series. The addition of Valentine, the Dalmatian and Brutus, the German Shepherd adds some fun to the story. I particularly enjoyed the interaction between the animals and the humans. I think this story has been my favorite in the whole series. I highly recommend this book, and the entire series. I can't wait for the next book in the From Manhattan With Love series ( )
  LindaHenderson | May 30, 2017 |
Molly has been settling into New York City over the last couple of years since fleeing public humiliation in London. She has lost her friends and her pride. Since moving to New York, she only trusts her dalmatian, Valentine, and her friends and neighbors, Mark and Gabe. She stays busy by taking various classes such as salsa and spinning, and has a successful online blog as a relationship expert offering advice for those who ask.

This advice is usually the opposite of the advice that Daniel Knight gives his clients. As a successful divorce attorney, and as a witness to his parents' tumultuous marriage, he has sworn off marriage and relationships in general. He does not have time for dogs, or women for that matter, but on his morning runs he has been crossing paths with a beautiful woman and her dalmatian. His sisters, twins Fliss and Harry, are the Bark Rangers who offer pet services. His decision to borrow a stubborn Brutus to help him talk to the woman in the park gets him far deeper than he could have ever expected.

My favorite characters in this book were the dogs. I loved how their interactions contributed to the story as well as how well they got along. I am not normally into book series, however, each book in this series reads as a standalone. I enjoyed that Eva and Lucas were characters in this one as they were the main characters in the previous book. Furthermore, I enjoyed that Daniel is the bridge from the Urban Genie trio of friends to the Bark Ranger sisters. I found it easy to figure out that the next few books will (hopefully) be about twins Fliss and Harry, Daniel's sisters.

There are four reasons why I only gave this book 4 stars:
1. Molly being originally from England was not very apparent unless it was briefly mentioned in conversation that she had an "accent". This "accent" did not come through to me, especially not in the chapters that were in her perspective.
2. Molly was supposed to be a psychologist yet she clearly had not moved on from a situation in her past that caused her to flee to New York. Furthermore, she was unable to figure out her feelings as well as was quick to become irrational in certain situations. For example: she finds out that Daniel borrowed a dog to try to find a way to talk to her and she is very angry and seeks revenge.
3. I am used to Sarah Morgan's characters fighting their feelings for each other before they reach the point that they are in love. But in this story, once they had moved past that point, it seemed extremely rushed to reach the next steps in their relationship.
4. I may be biased, however, I could not help but compare Molly and Daniel to the main characters in the previous books. Despite being able to relate to parts of their backstories, I just could not feel strongly for either of them. I was more interested in both Fliss' potential story as well as Mark and Gabe's history.

Despite these minor setbacks, I did still really enjoy this book. As can be expected when I read a book by Sarah Morgan, I did look forward to reading it as well as mini-squealed whenever a character from a previous book was mentioned. Sarah Morgan is extremely talented and her books take me to a happy place. It truly feels as if one is part of this growing group of friends and family and I find myself missing the characters when the book is over. These books are the kind that stay with you after each conclusion. I would recommend this book for readers who enjoy romance and, most especially, dogs.

For readers who may be triggered or offended: there were mentions of divorce, animal abandonment, scenarios sexual in nature, and brief foul language.

Please note: An electronic copy of this book was generously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | May 15, 2017 |
Received an ARC for my fair review for netgalley. Story of two people dead set against relationship. Molly relocates to New York, after having her life implode in public, and was humiliated professionally, and personally and was abandoned by her supposed friends. She starts over and does have friends now, but her most meaningful relationship is with her dog Valentine. Daniel is a divorce lawyer and since his childhood was not great due to parents relationship, stays away from them. He notices Molly and wants to get to know her. She gives him the run around, but eventually they start dating, but each if holding firm that it will not go further. Eventually the secrets each of them have come to light. Daniel does fall in love, and so does Molly,. Need to read what happens to Fliss next. My only issue is that is took to long, for them to start having a relationship. ( )
1 vote Pelusa41 | Apr 13, 2017 |

Meet Molly, New York's most famous agony aunt, she considers herself an expert at relationships…as long as they're other people's. The only love of her life is her Dalmatian, Valentine. Meet Daniel, a cynical divorce lawyer, he's hardwired to think relationships are a bad idea. If you don't get involved, no-one can get hurt. But then he finds himself borrowing a dog to meet the gorgeous woman he sees running in Central Park every morning. Molly and Daniel think they know everything there is to know about relationships... until they meet each other that is.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,682,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible