The Bridges of Madison County by Robert…

The Bridges of Madison County (1992)

by Robert James Waller

English (69)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (75)
I read this book many years ago, but after listening to the soundtrack of the recent musical based on the book and the movie, I decided to revisit the story that I had remembered. "The Bridges of Madison County" by Robert James Waller, is a love story; a story of a love that was unexpected, short-lived, forbidden, but so powerful that it haunted the two main characters’ lives forever.
In the summer of 1965 while Francesca Johnson’s husband and two children were attending the Illinois State Fair, Robert Kincaid, a ruggedly handsome worldly photographer, packs up his pickup truck and travels to Madison County, Iowa to photograph covered bridges for National Geographic magazine. Robert stops at a farm to ask directions to a local bridge. When Francesca agrees to show him, their chance encounter leads to a mutual desire that is undeniable.
Over the next four days, Robert and Francesca fall madly in love. She has never felt such passion. Robert asks her to leave with him saying, “In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live." Will Francesca leave the responsibilities of her comfortable but provincial life? The author writes from different perspectives and gives a moving visual of this bittersweet love affair. In an especially poignant section of the book, Francesca celebrates her birthday 22 years later, reflecting on her life and lost love. "The Bridges of Madison County" is a quick and enjoyable read for those who would enjoy a melancholy love story.

Lisa H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was just stupid. All that passion and she didn't find him when her husband died. Idiots. Both of them. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
I loved the story from the very beginning. It reminded me my parents: I wished my mother had had the chance to meet somebody who had made her feel, even for a short time, what Francesca felt with Robert. ( )
  Totcultura | Jun 25, 2017 |
Touching.This is the story of a nomadic photographer and an Italian-immigrant housewife's two very different lives clashing together for a single romantic week and a lifetime of reminiscence afterward.
It's short, but powerful. The narration changes throughout the book, starting with a reporter's voice, then the tone of a novel with still an undertone of one who is used to reporting facts alone. Overall, it's touching ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Absolutely wonderful book. I loved the story of Robert and Francesca.

I would recommend this book to everyone and anyone - male, female, old, young, married, single. It is a short book, less than 200 pages, so it took no time at all to read.

The time Robert and Francesca have together is short, but they make the most of it. A wonderfully heart-wrenching romantic story of two people who really seem to be meant for each other. ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |
For the peregrines
There are songs that come free from the blue-eyed grass, from the dust of a thousand country roads. This is one of them.
In an increasingly callous world, we all exist with our own carapaces of scabbed-over sensibilities. Where great passion leaves off and mawkishness begins, I'm not sure. But our tendency to scoff at the possibility of the former and to label genuine and profound feelings as maudlin makes it difficult to enter the realm of gentleness required to understand the story of Francesca Johnson and Robert Kincaid....

If, however, you approach what follows with a willing suspension of disbelief, as Coleridge put it, I am confident you will experience what I have experienced. In the indifferent spaces of your heart, you may even find, as Francesca Johnson did, room to dance again.
Complex things are easy to do. Simplicity's the real challenge.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446364495, Mass Market Paperback)

When Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca Johnson's farm lane looking for directions, the world-class photographer and the Iowa farm wife are joined in an experience of uncommon truth and stunning beauty that will haunt them forever. The romantic classic of the 1990's.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible