The Bridges of Madison County by Robert…

The Bridges of Madison County (original 1992; edition 1995)

by Robert James Waller

3,966None1,286 (3.36)109
Member:DetailMuse
Title:The Bridges of Madison County
Authors:Robert James Waller
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Fiction, Love Story, Adultery, Secrets, Iowa, Photography, Bridges

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (1992)

20th century (12) adultery (42) American (19) American fiction (11) American literature (18) basement (11) bridges (27) chick lit (17) contemporary (11) contemporary fiction (18) drama (13) fiction (614) film (17) hardcover (24) Iowa (66) literature (27) love (43) love story (36) made into movie (15) movie (22) novel (97) own (20) Photographers (16) photography (21) read (67) relationships (13) romance (228) to-read (33) unread (16) USA (14)

English (56)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)
It's a nice lovestory, and lovestories generally have their appeal even though the writing is mediocre at its best. The plot is shallow, the language cheesy. Still, the story is alluring which is apparently enough to make a bestseller. However, the only value of this book is that it shows quite clearly the enormous superiority of the film version. I have never encountered a movie that is so tremendously better than the book. ( )
  JaneRo | Feb 16, 2014 |
On of my all time favourite books, and I put the film of this in the same category. It's not often I enjoy the film as much as I did the novel, but this is one of those occasions. A story of impossible love, that has you pulling your hair out, wishing that they would go off together, but no…….. ( )
  Fliss88 | Jan 14, 2014 |
(N.B. Read some weeks ago, just now came up with the review)

It's not overwhelming, but (the prose is) good and workmanlike.

(8/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Dec 14, 2013 |
Read in '95. It signaled the end of chick lit for me. I guess I owe Waller a thank you. ( )
  Elpaca | Dec 1, 2013 |
This is an extremely (commercially) popular book. I didn't purchase it on purpose, but somehow it made its way into my library and since I'm reading my books in alphabetical order, here we are. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way (although, I apologize for being all, "I'm ashamed of having read this book, so I have to let you know why it came about"), I have to say it wasn't bad. It's a little lot sappy, and it's absolutely this guy's idea of wish fulfillment for bored housewives, but it was pretty engaging and well-written. Could've used a happier ending, but I suppose it accomplished the desired purpose: make crap tons of money and manipulate readers' emotions. ( )
  EmScape | Oct 27, 2013 |
For the peregrines
There are songs that come free from the blue-eyed grass, from the dust of a thousand country roads. This is one of them.
In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live.

And so beginnings a story that you will never forget ...
    THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

... is the story of Robert Kincaid, a world-classphotographer, and Francesca Johnson, an Iowa farm wife.
Kincaid, 52, is a photographer for National Geographic?, A strange, almost mystical travler of Asian deserts, distant rivers, and ancient cities, he is a man who feels out of harmony with his time. Francesca Johnson, 45 and once a young war bride from Italy, lives in the hills of south Iowa with flickering memories of her girlhood dreams.
Each of them is content, yet when Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into her farm lane looking for directions, their illusions fall away, and they are joined in an experience of uncommon and stunning beauty, an experience that will haunt them forever.

As the photographer Kincaid uses light to reveal not objects, but rather his own kind of truth, what occurs by the old bridges of Madison County becomes a prism transforming the ordinary emotions we think we understand into something rare and brilliant.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446364495, Mass Market Paperback)

When Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca Johnson's farm lane looking for directions, the world-class photographer and the Iowa farm wife are joined in an experience of uncommon truth and stunning beauty that will haunt them forever. The romantic classic of the 1990's.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

1985 avail.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible