The Bridges of Madison County by Robert…

The Bridges of Madison County (original 1992; edition 1995)

by Robert James Waller

Member:DetailMuse
Title:The Bridges of Madison County
Authors:Robert James Waller
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Fiction, Love Story, Adultery, Secrets, Iowa, Photography, Bridges

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (1992)

English (60)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
The book made me weep. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
love story - lot of hype bestseller ok

The story of Robert Kincaid, the photographer and free spirit searching for the covered bridges of Madison County, and Francesca Johnson, the farm wife waiting for the fulfillment of a girlhood dream, THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY gives voice to the longings of men and women everywhere-and shows us what it is to love and be loved so intensely that life is never the same again.
  christinejoseph | Jan 18, 2016 |
Hands down the worst book I have ever read. The only reason I finished it was because I was trapped in a crowded laundromat with no other English language reading material. A friend who I had not known long recommended it. Needless to say I never read another book she liked. I don't think I've missed anything. ( )
  KateVz | Jan 13, 2016 |
I know this falls right into the Chic-Lit category, so demographically I wouldn't expect me to be a big fan. But I think he did a really good job with characters and exploring human emotions. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Neither Robert Kincaid nor Francesca Johnson are in the first blush of youth when they first meet in Iowa in the 1960's. However, that brief yet intense meeting has the potential to alternately haunt them and comfort them for the rest of their lives. Their memories of their time together are perhaps strong enough to last a lifetime.

Robert Kincaid is a fifty-two-year-old photographer for National Geographic Magazine. He is a strange, almost mystical traveler of Asian deserts, distant rivers, and ancient cities who is known for his world-class, poignant photographs; whose work can melt the hardest heart. Yet, he is also a man who feels out of harmony with his time.

Francesca Johnson is a forty-five-year-old housewife, once a hopeful young war bride from Italy - so filled with excitement and dreams for a brighter future. However, living in the hills of southern Iowa with only flickering memories of her girlhood to keep her company, Francesca is lonely. She is ostensibly happy and content with her life, yet when Robert drives through the dust and heat of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca's farmhouse lane asking for directions, their illusions suddenly fall away.

As the photographer Robert Kincaid uses light to capture not objects, but rather his own kind of truth, what occurs beside the old bridges of Madison County over the space of four days, becomes a prism transforming Francesca's and Robert's emotions into a shared experience of uncommonly rare and stunning beauty. An experience which will haunt them forever. This is a story of a love too beautiful and too strong to die. A story so movingly poignant that it will transform the reader's ordinary emotions into something incredibly wondrous and brilliant.

The result is a passionate and deeply moving book, filled with lyrical prose and a vibrancy that places Robert James Waller in the forefront of current fiction writers. I must say that I thought this was a truly lovely, sweet love story. It was such a well-told story, deeply passionate and almost timeless. I give this book an A+!

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller is actually the second book that I've read by this author. Although this is also his debut novel. I must also say that while I've never watched the 1995 film adaptation, starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, I've only seen bits and pieces. I much prefer the book to the movie. Although, having only seen some of the movie, I suppose this is to be expected. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Mar 27, 2015 |
For the peregrines
There are songs that come free from the blue-eyed grass, from the dust of a thousand country roads. This is one of them.
In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446364495, Mass Market Paperback)

When Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca Johnson's farm lane looking for directions, the world-class photographer and the Iowa farm wife are joined in an experience of uncommon truth and stunning beauty that will haunt them forever. The romantic classic of the 1990's.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible