The Bridges of Madison County by Robert…

The Bridges of Madison County (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Robert James Waller

Member:rainstar76
Title:The Bridges of Madison County
Authors:Robert James Waller
Info:Warner Books, Inc. (1992), Edition: 1st, 2nd Prtg., Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:AdultFiction-Box2

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (1992)

English (70)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
This book had me sobbing by the end. I wanted so badly for the heroine to make other choices. Not one I could bear to read again. ( )
  DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Absolutely one of the best stories I have ever read. & Even better that I know it was cast by meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood, as I pictured both of them and it fit perfectly! I adored this book!! ( )
  klbradley | May 9, 2018 |
I read this book many years ago, but after listening to the soundtrack of the recent musical based on the book and the movie, I decided to revisit the story that I had remembered. "The Bridges of Madison County" by Robert James Waller, is a love story; a story of a love that was unexpected, short-lived, forbidden, but so powerful that it haunted the two main characters’ lives forever.
In the summer of 1965 while Francesca Johnson’s husband and two children were attending the Illinois State Fair, Robert Kincaid, a ruggedly handsome worldly photographer, packs up his pickup truck and travels to Madison County, Iowa to photograph covered bridges for National Geographic magazine. Robert stops at a farm to ask directions to a local bridge. When Francesca agrees to show him, their chance encounter leads to a mutual desire that is undeniable.
Over the next four days, Robert and Francesca fall madly in love. She has never felt such passion. Robert asks her to leave with him saying, “In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live." Will Francesca leave the responsibilities of her comfortable but provincial life? The author writes from different perspectives and gives a moving visual of this bittersweet love affair. In an especially poignant section of the book, Francesca celebrates her birthday 22 years later, reflecting on her life and lost love. "The Bridges of Madison County" is a quick and enjoyable read for those who would enjoy a melancholy love story.

Lisa H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was just stupid. All that passion and she didn't find him when her husband died. Idiots. Both of them. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Waller, Robert Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Versluys, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the peregrines
There are songs that come free from the blue-eyed grass, from the dust of a thousand country roads. This is one of them.
In an increasingly callous world, we all exist with our own carapaces of scabbed-over sensibilities. Where great passion leaves off and mawkishness begins, I'm not sure. But our tendency to scoff at the possibility of the former and to label genuine and profound feelings as maudlin makes it difficult to enter the realm of gentleness required to understand the story of Francesca Johnson and Robert Kincaid....

If, however, you approach what follows with a willing suspension of disbelief, as Coleridge put it, I am confident you will experience what I have experienced. In the indifferent spaces of your heart, you may even find, as Francesca Johnson did, room to dance again.
Complex things are easy to do. Simplicity's the real challenge.

A quietly powerful novel about the profound love between a photographer and an Iowa farmer's wife. They spend only four days together while he is on location to photograph covered bridges for National Geographic magazine, yet they never lose their feelings for each other.
-Novelist

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446364495, Mass Market Paperback)

When Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca Johnson's farm lane looking for directions, the world-class photographer and the Iowa farm wife are joined in an experience of uncommon truth and stunning beauty that will haunt them forever. The romantic classic of the 1990's.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,536,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible