The Bridges of Madison County by Robert…

The Bridges of Madison County (original 1992; edition 1995)

by Robert James Waller

Member:AmyTurner
Title:The Bridges of Madison County
Authors:Robert James Waller
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (1992)

20th century (12) adultery (43) American (19) American fiction (11) American literature (18) basement (11) bridges (27) chick lit (18) contemporary (11) contemporary fiction (18) drama (13) fiction (618) film (17) hardcover (24) Iowa (67) literature (28) love (43) love story (36) made into movie (16) movie (22) novel (101) own (21) photographers (15) photography (22) read (68) relationships (13) romance (229) to-read (36) unread (16) USA (14)

English (56)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)
I saw the movie years ago and recently picked up the book second hand.
So I knew it was a love story. I relish good love stories and have read many whether classics, chick-lit, comic, young adult, paranormal romance...the list goes on.
I read them and read, generally speaking, for the joy, hope, fun, dreams, adventure, sadness, excitement and escapism that they bring to me.
Honestly proud to be a sap, nothing like a bit of unbelievable corny romance for a bit of fun.
They make you hoot with laughter, blubber like a baby and cringe like a teenager, some even steam you up like?..yes well, you can imagine.
Despite any tendencies towards cynicism, I still believe in romance and we can all use more of it in our daily lives, where ever we may find it.

Surprised that so many found this book dreary.

I felt it to be powerful and intense, sad and lonely, painful in a melancholic way and beautifully simple in a very strong way.
There are so many who have just what they settle for in life and relationships.
To find someone, even briefly, who helps you to ripen and blossom physically, emotionally, intellectually, even spiritually, can only be magical.

In Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, it is described as being like a box of matches. There are only so many and even fewer who can set the sparks free. It would be sad indeed to go through life never experiencing such a sensation. When was the last time you stayed up all night just talking to someone, oblivious to time, to everything, except that person? When was the last time you felt appreciated in such a way?
Or even ready to experience such a love? ( )
  Amotisse | May 21, 2014 |
On of my all time favourite books, and I put the film of this in the same category. It's not often I enjoy the film as much as I did the novel, but this is one of those occasions. A story of impossible love, that has you pulling your hair out, wishing that they would go off together, but no…….. ( )
  Fliss88 | Jan 14, 2014 |
(N.B. Read some weeks ago, just now came up with the review)

It's not overwhelming, but (the prose is) good and workmanlike.

(8/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Dec 14, 2013 |
Read in '95. It signaled the end of chick lit for me. I guess I owe Waller a thank you. ( )
  Elpaca | Dec 1, 2013 |
This is an extremely (commercially) popular book. I didn't purchase it on purpose, but somehow it made its way into my library and since I'm reading my books in alphabetical order, here we are. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way (although, I apologize for being all, "I'm ashamed of having read this book, so I have to let you know why it came about"), I have to say it wasn't bad. It's a little lot sappy, and it's absolutely this guy's idea of wish fulfillment for bored housewives, but it was pretty engaging and well-written. Could've used a happier ending, but I suppose it accomplished the desired purpose: make crap tons of money and manipulate readers' emotions. ( )
  EmScape | Oct 27, 2013 |
For the peregrines
There are songs that come free from the blue-eyed grass, from the dust of a thousand country roads. This is one of them.
In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live.

And so beginnings a story that you will never forget ...
    THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

... is the story of Robert Kincaid, a world-classphotographer, and Francesca Johnson, an Iowa farm wife.
Kincaid, 52, is a photographer for National Geographic?, A strange, almost mystical travler of Asian deserts, distant rivers, and ancient cities, he is a man who feels out of harmony with his time. Francesca Johnson, 45 and once a young war bride from Italy, lives in the hills of south Iowa with flickering memories of her girlhood dreams.
Each of them is content, yet when Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into her farm lane looking for directions, their illusions fall away, and they are joined in an experience of uncommon and stunning beauty, an experience that will haunt them forever.

As the photographer Kincaid uses light to reveal not objects, but rather his own kind of truth, what occurs by the old bridges of Madison County becomes a prism transforming the ordinary emotions we think we understand into something rare and brilliant.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446364495, Mass Market Paperback)

When Robert Kincaid drives through the heat and dust of an Iowa summer and turns into Francesca Johnson's farm lane looking for directions, the world-class photographer and the Iowa farm wife are joined in an experience of uncommon truth and stunning beauty that will haunt them forever. The romantic classic of the 1990's.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

1985 avail.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,253,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible