The Enclave (NewCon Press Novellas Set 1) by…

The Enclave (NewCon Press Novellas Set 1) (edition 2017)

by Anne Charnock (Author)

Member:Jaylia3
Title:The Enclave (NewCon Press Novellas Set 1)
Authors:Anne Charnock (Author)
Info:NewCon Press (2017), 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Enclave (Newcon Press Novellas) by Anne Charnock

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All (9)
4.5/5 stars

The Enclave by Anne Charnock is an excellent short story (Too short! I wanted more). Charnock builds a highly detailed picture of a not-too-distant future world which intersects advances in bioengineering and technology (eg neural implants) with human complexity (refugees, poverty, human trafficking, refusal to assimilate, etc). It's a not too rosy picture of the future, and entirely plausible. The characters are well-developed and you can't help liking them, or at least sympathizing with their lack of choices. I found myself caring for the characters and the story stayed with me long after I finished it.

Summary: Highly recommended to readers of dystopian fiction (eg Wind Up Girl by Bacigalupi).

Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | May 7, 2017 |
Strange and dangerous though its world might be, I was fascinated to be back in the technologically advanced, genetically enhanced, climate challenged future Manchester that Anne Charnock first explored in A Calculated Life. In that book the main character is Jayna, a simulant or lab created human who has been completely bio-engineered to have beyond genius level intelligence so she can process huge amounts of data for her employer, but in this novella we get a look at lives on the far other end of the human spectrum.

Caleb and Lexie have both been deemed unworthy for the cognitive implants that most natural born people receive to enhance their abilities. They eke out a living in the Enclave, a violent, gritty slum community far from Manchester’s hub. With a nod to current events, Caleb is a young illegal immigrant who had to flee Spain when climate change rendered his home virtually unlivable. Caleb and Lexie work together, but though they have a stronger bond than normally found in subordinate-boss relationships, the nature of their reality makes it hard for them to trust anyone.

Charnock writes what I think of as science fiction for grownups, stories in which realistic (if often futuristic) characters and thought-filled themes are as important as her high tension plots. While The Enclave isn’t exactly a sequel to A Calculated Life, those who’ve read the first book will recognize Jayna and her coworker Dave in a brief encounter they have with the characters in this novella. Even Dave’s bees make an appearance.

One thing left to explore in this world is the lives of the elite--the natural born (not lab created) humans who have been equipped with cognitive implants. They have best jobs and the nicest homes, but I wonder how life in this tenuous world would feel to one of them.

I received a complimentary copy of The Enclave from the author, with no obligation to write a review. Review opinions are mine. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From the reviews above it is clear that Anne Charnock as a strong reader base and that her earlier work "A Calculated Life" was well received. I have not read her earlier work and "The Enclave" is my first introduction the world of "A Calculated Life". The challenge to any writer seeking to bring new readers into an established world is to make the entry as painless as possible, engaging the new reader while not boring the old. Charnock does this well distributing descriptions of the world through the novella and filling in the pieces of this new society deftly.

The greater issue is the development of the main character Caleb who undergoes a remarkable personal transformation over a fairly brief period of time, all while he is 12 years old. It stretched credulity that such a transformation could be affected so quickly at this age. With Caleb as narrator it seemed also that the book was reading as YA fiction.

As confusing was a narrative shift in the middle of the work to Lexie in the middle of the work. While this was useful to provide an adult's perspective of this world of Charnock's the shift also created a second story line that was unresolved at the end of the work.

My thanks to LibraryThing for a review copy. ( )
  smaire | Apr 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to admit that I had some trouble when I started reading this novelette (roughly 70 pages). Maybe my command of English language was not that good, but I did not understand what was happening. Slowly the plot became clearer, and besides a short lapse of understanding at the beginning of the second section, when the talking protagonist changed, I quickly ran through the pages till the end.
The setting of the book, which I understand to be part of a series, is something that many of us fear will happen in the future: brain implants for the "best" people who will live in the main cities, satellite cities (like the enclave which gives the title to this book) where people work in recycling and feeding the rich, and migrants, like the main character Caleb, who desperately try to become part of the main city. All of this is just hinted in the book, since this is not the main interest for Anne Charnock. There's some text which seems a bit patronizing to me, but in general the book is worth reading. ( )
  .mau. | Mar 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Anne Charnock's book The Enclave is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Anne Charnock is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,501,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible