The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library Novel)…

The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library Novel) (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Genevieve Cogman (Author)

Member:pflagg1991
Title:The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library Novel)
Authors:Genevieve Cogman (Author)
Info:Ace (2018), 384 pages

The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman (2017)

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
In this fourth outing in the series, Irene is tasked with determining if a librarian may have violated the Library's neutrality by offering his services to a dragon in the midst of a political struggle. Facing the risk of sullying the reputation of the Library, herself, and quite possibly Kai, Irene must keep her wits about her as she heads to a world filled with 1920s gangsters and associated mayhem.

Having made it thus far in the series, any reader knows what they're going to get. Fun fantasy mashed with historical fiction and a healthy dose of book and library love, served with a side of heavy action in the last quarter of the book. This title doesn't disappoint and there are some shifts in character things here that I look forward to seeing developed in the next book. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 19, 2019 |
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

The Publisher Says: After being commissioned to find a rare book, Librarian Irene and her assistant, Kai, head to Prohibition-era New York and are thrust into the middle of a political fight with dragons, mobsters, and Fae.

Irene and Kai are locked in a race against time (and dragons) to procure a rare book. They'll face gangsters, blackmail, and the Library's own Internal Affairs department. And if it doesn't end well, it could have dire consequences on Irene's job. And, incidentally, on her life...

My Review: Quite extraordinary. This is a high-stakes story within the Invisible Library series. Many, many things have changed since book one and in this story the changes truly come home to roost in the attic. Action, excitement, and several passages of astonishing violence are the key drivers of events down surprising channels.

It isn't often that I finish a series read, immediately procure the next, and devour that one in a day. I did that for this series because I am besotted with the idea of the Library and its multiverse-trotting spy/burglar/diplomats the Librarians. I am even, if you can believe this!, completely okay with the presence of magic in the series.

I know, right?!

I who lift my brow, crinkle my nose, draw my lips into a sneer, at the merest whiff of majgickq, actually *approve* of the system invented and presented in this series. It's actually inexplicable to me that I am not having literary hives every time the Language is used and at each Fae sighting. What has happened to me? I'm putting it down to the revolting fact, recently revealed to me, that I share an ancestor with *gag* Tom Cruise *retch*, which blow to my self-esteem causes me spiritual pain.

The story in this book is, from the opening scene, one of peril and menace to Irene. She is most often alone to face her adversaries. Kai is, as a developing theme in the series, going to have to learn to take action on his own behalf. Irene's worries that she isn't teaching him the skills she possesses so much as grooming him as her sidekick have been woven through the stories. It's a sign of the character's deeply seated identity, created by a talented and careful author. I buy into the characters's reality in this really quite daft alternative view of reality because Author Cogman spent the time to think through these small moments of self-reflection.

The main action takes place in a Prohibition-like New York after Irene and Kai land in the ruins of a library in Boston. Readers of the previous book will appreciate the emotional impact of this venue, and readers in general will share the appalled horrified revulsion that Kai and Irene express at the idea of a soul so bereft of respect as to perpetrate vandalism on a library. (As an aside, I note that [author:Susan Orlean|45374] just published [book:The Library Book|39507318] which non-fictional take on the subject I ended up abandoning as it was too painful to continue reading.)

The local mob boss, Giorgio Rossi aka George Ross, has a lady sidekick-cum-enforcer, Lily. Lily knows who, more accurately what, Kai is on sight. That's because Lily is Fae, and despite her chosen position as murderous muscle for the mob, is really the brains of the crime boss's operations. Irene's somewhat bizarre (and wholly unintentional) cover identity as an English crime boss visiting New York to drum up new business piques Lily's interest.

Crime boss Irene is hunting a vanished Librarian straight into the clutches of two dragons operating without sanction in this bizarre, lawless New York. They're aiming to win an internal political battle by supplying their dragon queen with a special alternative edition of an ancient Chinese novel. (She's interested in a re-read of this novel, a fondly remembered diverting entertainment from her past. That procuring this book for her amusement causes numerous deaths and a vicious war between her subordinates is...uninteresting.) Irene's hunted Librarian, Evariste, is doing his dead-level best to accommodate one of the dragons by procuring the book because his daughter is being held hostage by the dragon's clever henchman. Kai and Evariste, separated from Irene, go off and procure the desired book...but who receives it and how aren't in the least sure until the moment the event occurs.

The climax of the hunt for the book, for Evariste, and for justice (and Justice) takes place in the Court of the Dragon Queen. As always when the extremely Order-centered dragons are involved, there is a price to pay for the lies one tells, and a price to pay for telling the clear, unmuddied truth. Justice and fairness each have their innings, though neither one takes the field in unsullied glory at the end of the proceedings. The guilty...everyone is guilty, that's the nature of the world, the multiverse in fact, but here we mean "those whose actions and inactions caused irreparable harm" by it...suffer, and the wronged are made as whole as Justice can make them. Irene is required to suffer her personal agonies in the search for and service of Justice served to violators of Order.

But there is, as there always is, a reason in Author Cogman's relentless and grinding tale of Truth's victims. And it makes the ending of this book so very, very special. I seldom laugh with exuberant happiness as I read endings. That is exactly what happened here.

Author Cogman:
  richardderus | Feb 18, 2019 |
I like this may be one of my favorite series that I've been reading lately - full of books and intrigue, this one has everything that makes a fun read. Irene and Kai journey to an alternative world of 1920s New York, where they are in pursuit of a (possibly) rogue librarian and attempting to curtail dueling dragons from using the Library for their own ends. As one might imagine, things don't go to plan and there ends up being plenty of involvement from gangsters and fae assassins. Overall, fun reading and I am reading to dig into the next book in the series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 25, 2018 |
The Lost Plot is the fourth book in The Invisible Library series and it was my favorite of them all. There was tons of action and overall it felt like the whole story was constructed better then the others. Plus, Albreicht didn't make an appearance- thankfully. That storyline is completely played out so I was glad to get a break from it. I wasn't ready for the ending though so I'm dying to see what happens with Kai. ( )
  EmpressReece | Nov 8, 2018 |
In this Invisible Library novel, our heroine is sent to investigate an apparent breach of Library neutrality in favor of a dragon engaging in political maneuvering. Danger in a Prohibition-era NYC follows, along with major changes in her relationship with her apprentice, the dragon Kai. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 5, 2018 |
Kostchei,
We have a problem.

Dragon politics
Library must stay neutral
Send Irene Winters
(passion4reading)

"After being commissioned to find a rare book, Librarian Irene and her assistant, Kai, head to Prohibition-era New York and are thrust into the middle of a political fight with dragons, mobsters, and Fae. In a 1920s-esque New York, Prohibition is in force; fedoras, flapper dresses, and tommy guns are in fashion: and intrigue is afoot. Intrepid Librarians Irene and Kai find themselves caught in the middle of a dragon political contest. It seems a young Librarian has become tangled in this conflict, and if they can't extricate him, there could be serious repercussions for the mysterious Library. And, as the balance of power across mighty factions hangs in the balance, this could even trigger war. Irene and Kai are locked in a race against time (and dragons) to procure a rare book. They'll face gangsters, blackmail, and the Library's own Internal Affairs department. And if it doesn't end well, it could have dire consequences on Irene's job. And, incidentally, on her life.."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible