Hope Dies Last by Studs Terkel

Hope Dies Last (edition 2003)

by Studs Terkel

Member:TheoClarke
Title:Hope Dies Last
Authors:Studs Terkel
Info:The New Press (2003), Advance Reading Copy, 326 pages
Collections:LT connections, Your library, Favorites, Oral history
Rating:*****
Tags:21st century, advance reading copy, history, Margaret Atwood, oral history, non-fiction, paperback, Studs Terkel, US author

Hope Dies Last: Keeping the Faith in Difficult Times by Studs Terkel

A man with a gift for asking the right questions and getting inspiring answers ( )
  mikethethinker | Nov 23, 2012 |
Favorite "modern" Terkel book. Favorite "early" Terkel book is [b:Working|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1234606708s/2657.jpg|3275794]. ( )
  damsorrow | Jul 22, 2009 |
A great collection of interviews with all stripes of people, all providing a sense of hope in dark times. I read this in bits and pieces and still find myself able to pick it up from time to time for a little inspiration.
  bookem | Aug 29, 2007 |
Currently reading ( )
  mamorico | Dec 29, 2006 |
I had quite high hopes for this book but I found it quite disappointing. Perhaps given Terkel's age I should have expected it, but I wasn't particularly interested in listening to the stories of so many people in their 80s or 90s. I was hoping for something a bit more contemporary and not recollections of the 1930s depression!

There were *some* good tales in here but ultimately I found much of the book relatively uninteresting and repetitive. Just not what I was hoping for! ( )
  DRFP | Oct 3, 2006 |
Two tall, large-boned, bespectacled men enter the room.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156584937X, Paperback)

The latest oral history from the unrivaled master of the genre.

Hope Dies Last is Studs Terkel's inspiring new oral history of social action in America. An alternative, more personal history of the "American century," Hope Dies Last forms a legacy of the indefatigable spirit that Studs has always embodied, and an inheritance for those who, by taking a stand, are making concrete the dreams of today.

For Terkel, these interviews represent a change that has taken place in the last few years of uncertainty in America. From a doctor who teaches his young students compassion, to the now-retired brigadier general who flew the Enola Gay over Hiroshima, these interviews tell us much about the power of the American dream and the force of individuals who hope for a better world. Terkel's subjects express with grace and warmth their secret hopes and dreams, combining to tell an inspiring story of optimism and persistence that resonates with the eloquence of conviction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:23 -0400)

These interviews--with congressmen and cooks, union organizers and CEOs, students, immigrants, activists, veterans, priests and lawyers--constitute an alternative history of the American century. They form a legacy of the indefatigable spirit that Studs has always embodied, an inheritance for those who, by taking a stand, are making concrete the dreams of today.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible